Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how bad are things going to get

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

mariaalice wrote: »
    How can anyone still not be getting this, we are in the good position we are in today because of the partial lockdown, the handwashing, social distancing.

We are not the problem now, but look at the US, and there are localised outbreaks even in countries doing very well.

Its very hard to tell what way it will pan out if we get a vaccine by end of this year or early next year its likely nothing will change and 2020 will be seen as a blip in human history.

If goes on longer than that who knows, the almost collapse in the airline industry is a big issue along with people not spending.

on the other hand, we might evolve into a different society and manage just fine.

"Partial lockdown", ha! Utter revisionism. The only outlet people had for weeks was Tesco and a max 2km walk.

The CFR is 0.65 - we don't need to " evolve into a different society and manage just fine" - 99.35% of the population of the planet (if that remains the CFR) will still be here if we ALL get COVID-19.

People are terrible at probability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

"Partial lockdown", ha! Utter revisionism. The only outlet people had for weeks was Tesco and a max 2km walk.

The CFR is 0.65 - we don't need to " evolve into a different society and manage just fine" - 99.35% of the population of the planet (if that remains the CFR) will still be here if we ALL get COVID-19.

Yes, except for you, of course.

There's also the question of long term effects of contracting the virus. We have no idea if that'll be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

Yes, hence the term "partial". Ask the people in Wuhan who were locked into their apartment buildings what full lockdown looks like. :rolleyes:

circadian wrote: »
    Yes, except for you, of course.

There's also the question of long term effects of contracting the virus. We have no idea if that'll be an issue.

In this case, maybe not, but in general, no, I would be the same as anyone else. (https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/75f8/a9976bcee53ebd10714de7a4220266cfcc33.pdf)

Yes, but we don't see much evidence of that yet, and we're 10 months in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭bmc58

Will there be literal anarchy, a breaking down of the system? you might think im be over dramatic, but in January 2020 when people were first talking about this pandemic some of their 'over dramatising' proved to be true.

Its bad enough that there are so many deaths, thats the worst, but what else are we going to see happening as it doesnt look like this pandemic is going anywhere fast.

If we sort the problem out by the end of the year, i think society will be okay, but i think workplaces, public finances are getting stretched and will eventually snap in 2021 if this is not fixed.

Feels like the calm before the storm. And yes i think the deaths and suffering people have is by far the worst, just wondering how bad society is going to get.

With all these current outbreaks it's starting to get a bit scarey again.Won't take much more for things to get back to square one again.Then there will be trouble,governments won't be able to keep society fed.People have to be more compliant with the government rules.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I honestly think this was designed to kill off the elderly and sick so the world governments could save on things like pensions and welfare for the sick

It did orginate in a country,which tradionally persued a one child policy,those parents are now nearing retirement age

Of all the conspircies,its the most believable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

I was in the city centre yestarday it was deserted about 80% less people than normal.
    office complexes deserted.
    Im no accountant but this carnt be sustainable.
    I was talking to work colleague about this and we was saying if this continues into the new year be be moving onto rations.

storker wrote: »
    Yes, hence the term "partial". Ask the people in Wuhan who were locked into their apartment buildings what full lockdown looks like. :rolleyes:

Everything is a 'partial' lockdown. It's still a lockdown. Ask the people of building A in Wuhan who could go to the next room what a partial/full lockdown looks like! Here in building B we couldn't even leave our room.

We all know why the use of partial existed in the above post.

mick087 wrote: »
    I was in the city centre yestarday it was deserted about 80% less people than normal.
    I was talking to work colleague about if this continues into the new year be be moving onto rations.

Correct. 2021 - 2025 are going to be a horror show. Mass global unemployment to a level never seen before, to save 0.65 of the population. Mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

** Enters thread **

** reads comments **

200_d.gif

** Runs away screaming **

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

But that is all well and good until your mother or father or granny gets it and get seriously ill if you are happy for someone in your family to get it that cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I was talking to work colleague about this and we was saying if this continues into the new year be be moving onto rations.

Absolutely. I am lucky to work in an industry that has done well during Covid and I worked from home throughout. However, like all private sector companies we need other companies to purchase from us in order to be sustainable going forward. If enough of them go under we go under sooner or later. People really need to take this on board or those few pounds you gained during Covid will be a distant memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

well, if your work colleague says so...:cool:

mariaalice wrote: »
    But that is all well and good until your mother or father or granny gets it and get seriously ill if you are happy for someone in your family to get it that cool.

Am I happy to take the risk for my family to get it so that someone else's family can live a more normal social and economic life, yes. Selfishness like that opinion should not be tolerated really.

Absolutely. I am lucky to work in an industry that has done well during Covid and I worked from home throughout. However, like all private sector companies we need other companies to purchase from us in order to be sustainable going forward. If enough of them go under we go under sooner or later. People really need to take this on board or those few pounds you gained during Covid will be a distant memory.

This is true, people think there jobs are safe because they work at home. Someone who designs software needs someone to buy a phone etc etc. Its like a chain no ones job is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Joe Kaine

My work colleagues reckon the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

It's the mass unemployment at the end of 2021 that will be the problem. If we thought 2008 and the austerity that followed that was bad. 2021 - 2025 is going to be horrific. Look at the rise in Trump, Brexit, etc following 2008. It's going to be a hard job preventing the rise of right-wing extremism after this 'Chyna - CHYNA' virus. (See it's already started).

The rise in Trump and Brexit?
    Right wing extremists?
    What are you on about

The rise in Trump and Brexit?
    Right wing extremists?
    What are you on about

Brexit is a far right-wing, nationalists wet-dream, so is Trump. They are in power now. It's no coincidence it happened post-2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Brexit is a far right-wing, nationalists wet-dream, so is Trump. They are in power now. It's no coincidence it happened post-2008.

Obama was elected in 2008 and again 2012
    Brexit vote didn't happen until 2016.

People are mad

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What has food production got to do with offices in city centres?

The vast majority of those offices more than likely have work from home in place. Just because you're not seeing people, it doesn't mean they're not working.

I've worked about 5 days in the office since February in total.

I still don't see what that has to do with food production and rations.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    What has food production got to do with offices in city centres?

The vast majority of those offices more than likely have work from home in place. Just because you're not seeing people, it doesn't mean they're not working.

I've worked about 5 days in the office since February in total.

I still don't see what that has to do with food production and rations.

Yes the vast majority of office workers are working from home, So the vast majority of city business ie shops pubs etc is dead.

Have you spent as much money as you would when you worked in the office or have you now saved more?

Rations might sound like a overkill at the momemt but these are the most uncertain times many have lived through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Based on some of the posts in this thread I think you're better off posting here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement