Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WiFi signal outdoors?

• 30-07-2020 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Ok so bought a projector, projector screen for viewing movies in the garden. Then bought a fire stick, wrongly thinking I could download a movie to watch offline but apparently you cannot download prime movies to a fire stick. I specifically choose the firestick so I could also Bluetooth the sound to 2 speakers.

So question is, is there anyway to pick up my WiFi signal up the top of garden. Garden is approx 150ft/45mtrs long and I have the set up, right at the top.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Wifi extender and extension lead.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Wearb wrote: »
    Wifi extender and extension lead.

A bit messy having to run a huge extension. I was trying to avoid as many wires as possible.

Do all wifi extenders need to be plugged in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A bit messy having to run a huge extension. I was trying to avoid as many wires as possible.

Do all wifi extenders need to be plugged in?

Use power line convertors. Or use your phone as a hotspot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Power line network adaptor, assuming your projector is on the same mains power as the wifi.

Else directional wifi antenna will easily coverer that difference in the open.

Might try the phone as a hotspot and see how that goes.

Otherwise may have to go for WiFi extender.

Can anyone recommend a particular model as there seems to be loads out there and am now totally confused ðŸ˜

Will one bought from the uk work i.e Amazon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭robclay26

I have one of these TP-Link access points wired back to my router and can pick the WiFi up way out in my field

TP-Link Long Range Outdoor Wifi Transmitter – 5GHz, 300Mbps, High Gain Mimo Antenna, 15km+ Point to Point Wireless Transmission, Poe Powered W/Free Poe Adapter, Wisp Mode(Cpe510), White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N2RO63U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_cz7iFbNCXWQ0Z

robclay26 wrote: »
    I have one of these TP-Link access points wired back to my router and can pick the WiFi up way out in my field

TP-Link Long Range Outdoor Wifi Transmitter – 5GHz, 300Mbps, High Gain Mimo Antenna, 15km+ Point to Point Wireless Transmission, Poe Powered W/Free Poe Adapter, Wisp Mode(Cpe510), White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N2RO63U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_cz7iFbNCXWQ0Z

Sounds good but when you say "wired back to your router" what exactly do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭robclay26

Sounds good but when you say "wired back to your router" what exactly do you mean?

It is a hardwire WiFi access point, so has an Ethernet port that your connect back to a lan port on back of your router.

robclay26 wrote: »
    It is a hardwire WiFi access point, so has an Ethernet port that your connect back to a lan port on back of your router.

Trying to do this as wireless and as simple as possible.

Anyway is not possible as router is at front of house, I would have to go around the house or over the roof. Too complicated.

The house is also exterior insulated so do not want any drill holes in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

How about a Ubiquiti Long Range access point, it's an indoor device but has a range of up to 180m. Could install on a wall/ceiling closest to the garden.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LR-802-11ac-Dual-Radio/dp/B016K5A06C/ref=sr_1_3?crid=V2U27K7AG769&dchild=1&keywords=ubiquiti+long+range+access+point&qid=1596177720&sprefix=ubiquiti+long+range+acc%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-3

• Advertisement

Ok all, thanks for advice but my head is starting to hurt :)

I am fairly decent at technology but am a moron when it comes to things like this. I'm reading reviews on Amazon and they mention POE Injectors, CAT 6 cable, UAP-AC-LR. and I actually have no clue what they are talking about :confused:

Would appreciate explaining these products like i'm a moron. please.

I thought this would be fairly simple, like stick an antenna to my shed and it would pick up the signal, end of. Had no idea there was so many products with so many ways to connect them.

Might try the phone as a hotspot and see how that goes.

Otherwise may have to go for WiFi extender.

Can anyone recommend a particular model as there seems to be loads out there and am now totally confused ðŸ˜

Will one bought from the uk work i.e Amazon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

TP link power line adapter as someone else suggested is the best option, basically it comes as a set of two plugs, plug one plug into your shed, the other you plug in beside your router. an ethernet cable is connected from the router to the plug, this in turn transmits the wifi signal to your shed along the power line where you then connect via wireless or ethernet, simple stuff its not complicated, watch a video, costs about 60 euro on amazon

bfclancy wrote: »
    TP link power line adapter as someone else suggested is the best option, basically it comes as a set of two plugs, plug one plug into your shed, the other you plug in beside your router. an ethernet cable is connected from the router to the plug, this in turn transmits the wifi signal to your shed along the power line where you then connect via wireless or ethernet, simple stuff its not complicated, watch a video, costs about 60 euro on amazon

Thanks you, sounds great, I’ll try that one so.

Thanks for great explanation. Much appreciated ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have had mixed results with powerline adapters in various houses. They're sensitive to differences in wiring and interference.

The gold standard wireless solution for this end-of-garden problem is a directional wifi antenna.

If your wifi router has removable aerials you can buy a swap-in a directional panel antenna for a few quid, like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-APA-M25-directional-connector-WL-ANT-157/dp/B00R1PA9EO/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=panel+antenna&qid=1596188532&sr=8-3.

With some routers that have antennae inside the case you can experiment with positioning the router in different directions. I managed to boost the bandwidth to my shed by simply pointing the face of the router towards the shed.

You should also try to ensure that the router and receiver are on the same plane.

If that all fails you can buy a specific directional router like the TP-Link one robclay26 suggested, or the Ubiquiti.

Or you can buy mesh routers like the Orbi but they're expensive and whilst better than the old range-extenders, are still sensitive to the distance between the main router and the satellite routers.

I have the same issue. My powerful mesh router is on the house wall nearest my shed, but I don't get great signal past the door of the shed (the shed is maybe 15-20m away).

My next step is either another mesh router, or add a directional antenna to my old Asus router, or a directional router, or just pull a bloody cat6 cable out there (my broadband is only about 55Mbit at the best of times, so this seems a bit overkill).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

works fine for me never an issue, standard router in the kitchen, one powerline adapter in the attic connected via ethernet to the cctv, one in the slatted shed connected to a camera for cow calving etc and one in the office for connecting to laptop via ethernet, never had an issue and i'm using mobile broadband as no fixed line near me. then again i don't have a million smart devices connected to it as i don't have the bandwidth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have Google nest WiFi. I have 3 points. One on the landing for upstairs and one almost in the hall for downstairs. The third one is in the kitchen close to the window. This covers the entire garden, maybe 50 foot long. I'm not sure how much further the signal would go though. You could have another one in the shed perhaps.

Thanks all for your help. I ended up purchasing the powerline adapters. They seem to have decent reviews and sure i'll give them a go. I can always return them if they don't work and try one of the other suggestions.

Tried the set up I have for the projector in the house last night and it was brilliant! Projector is the only thing that needs plugging in. The firestick pulls it's power from the projectors USB port so that saved another plug. I then have them bluetoothed to 2 daisy chained speakers so the sound is pretty decent. If I can just get the wifi set up sorted, I'll be laughing!

Thanks Again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Turning on a WiFi hotspot on a phone might be the easiest way to do this without any cost.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

This will not help you with your WiFi query but it might give you some other ideas for your garden cinema.

https://www.reviewgeek.com/48962/heres-everything-youll-need-for-the-perfect-backyard-movie-night/

• Advertisement

Cerco wrote: »
    This will not help you with your WiFi query but it might give you some other ideas for your garden cinema.

https://www.reviewgeek.com/48962/heres-everything-youll-need-for-the-perfect-backyard-movie-night/

Thanks a Mill for that but garden cinema is all set up and ready to go :D

I have a small Pergola which will have a smalll hot tub in the centre, 2 bars pull out from the cross beams of the Pergola and the screen hangs down from the 2 chains attached to the bars. projector is on a stand behind the hot tub.

A few more things to do to the area and I should be ready to rumble by end next week.

Whether I can stick an hour and a half in a hot tub, only time will tell ;)

Advertisement