Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

How would we cope with Ebola or bubonic plague?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

I would join such. And there would be 100,000 + affected, pub workers, gig workers, unemployed youth the list goes on

The lack of critical thinking or questioning of this whole thing is disturbing. A lot of people had their jobs destroyed, holiday cancelled, medical appointments cancelled, events cancelled, child's education damaged etc. over a disease that you need to do a test for to know if you have it. Now we are being forced to wear a nappy on our faces on a bus or when buying some socks. You can have a meal in a restaurant with 50 people around you without a mask, interacting with waiter etc., but you gotta put mask on to go to a boutique shop with 2 other people inside.

But its quite obvious something is going on when new cases are being reported but not a single word over whether anyone is actually ill.....

We have PPE, whole world has PPE actually, we have tons of hospital capacity, over 150 + empty ICU beds, we've brainwashed our population into washing hands and sneezing manners over TV ads for the last 6 months, we have our great tracing app, we give all of our contact details in every establishment when we eat or have a haircut, we must wear a face nappy everytime we want to buy some clothes etc. AND THIS IS STILL NOT ENOUGH TO REOPEN BUSINESSES in our medical advice country.

The tinfoil hat theory is that it proves to those in power that a population can be controlled and scared into compliance.

There is no case for wearing masks especially now.

It is also the perfect cover and excuse for the looming financial crisis and recession that was already on the horizon before covid went global.

A frightened population is an obedient one which is every government's dream. This is the first time in history whole countries have been shut down.

It sets a precedent and it will be used for different reasons going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

The Belly wrote: »
    The tinfoil hat theory is that it proves to those in power that a population can be controlled and scared into compliance. Probably the reason they are trying to keep the fear going.

There is no case for wearing masks especially now.

It is also the perfect cover and excuse for the looming financial crisis and recession that was already on the horizon before covid went global.

A frightened population is an obedient one which is every government's dream. This is the first time in history whole countries have been shut down.

It sets a precedent and it will be used for different reasons going forward.

Yes. Unless people do something about it. Enough unemployment, especially amongst young people who are always on social media can see Germany 20,000 + protesting against this rubbish in Berlin alone last week, will get them gathering.

Just need a spark. But I am sure govt is doing its best to really anger people. Re-opening pubs on Monday would not have disgusted or enraged most of population. But keeping them closed for 6 months essentially will, definitely, anger a certain section of population. Just a matter of when protests start now not if.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm surprised at the anger in this thread. It was pretty obvious looking at the numbers that the pubs weren't going to get the nod and yet the usual posters are here throwing the toys out of the pram.
    I would join such. And there would be 100,000 + affected, pub workers, gig workers, unemployed youth the list goes on

The lack of critical thinking or questioning of this whole thing is disturbing. A lot of people had their jobs destroyed, holiday cancelled, medical appointments cancelled, events cancelled, child's education damaged etc. over a disease that you need to do a test for to know if you have it. Now we are being forced to wear a nappy on our faces on a bus or when buying some socks. You can have a meal in a restaurant with 50 people around you without a mask, interacting with waiter etc., but you gotta put mask on to go to a boutique shop with 2 other people inside.

But its quite obvious something is going on when new cases are being reported but not a single word over whether anyone is actually ill.....

We have PPE, whole world has PPE actually, we have tons of hospital capacity, over 150 + empty ICU beds, we've brainwashed our population into washing hands and sneezing manners over TV ads for the last 6 months, we have our great tracing app, we give all of our contact details in every establishment when we eat or have a haircut, we must wear a face nappy everytime we want to buy some clothes etc. AND THIS IS STILL NOT ENOUGH TO REOPEN BUSINESSES in our medical advice country.

Getting angry and stressed over this won't do you any good. We have to learn to accept the things we can't change. This pandemic is going to make sh!t of our lives for the next 18 months at least. I have accepted this and narrowed my expectations and it has improved my mood. Pubs may be open in Spain and the UK but that won't last. You can get angry at NPHET or the politicians or whoever but the reality is that almost every EU country is in the same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

The only thing I dont understand is why vintners havent gotten around to employing some serious legal team and challenging all of this rubbish, way back on 21 July? Ryanair are due to challenge this idiotic greenlist with fking Greenland on it...... poster above me clearly shows with a map that most of Europe is actually safe, as safe as Ireland for this funny disease that you need a test to know if you have it. So given that such legal challenge for air transport didnt even go to courts in UK and multiple normal destinations were added immediately by UK government to their greenlist - I see Ryanair being pretty successful come 12th of Aug. Or earlier hopefully.

Vintners just need to go to courts. There are only 2 ways we ll avoid mass unemployment and poverty, either through courts ruling or protests. We arent well known for protesting (albeit different times different measures), so at the moment courts should very much be utilised, ASAP. Enough is enough.

Perhaps it’s the obvious reason that they would be wasting their time and money as they don’t have a winnable case? Unless you can save the day and give a brief overview of the legal strategy they could adopt?

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the anger in this thread. It was pretty obvious looking at the numbers that the pubs weren't going to get the nod and yet the usual posters are here throwing the toys out of the pram.

Getting angry and stressed over this won't do you any good. We have to learn to accept the things we can't change. This pandemic is going to make sh!t of our lives for the next 18 months at least. I have accepted this and narrowed my expectations and it has improved my mood. Pubs may be open in Spain and the UK but that won't last. You can get angry at NPHET or the politicians or whoever but the reality is that almost every EU country is in the same boat.

Well its great your in a better mood:) However i dont have the same confidence in our government and the NPHET or the EU for that matter. The last crisis lasted over 10 years and we never fully recovered this one is much worse. I hope you are right about the next 18 months but the way things are panning out its going to make a sh1t of things for a lot longer.

Well its great your in a better mood:) However i dont have the same confidence in our government and the NPHET or the EU for that matter. The last crisis lasted over 10 years and we never fully recovered this one is much worse. I hope you are right about the next 18 months but the way things are panning out its going to make a sh1t of things for a lot longer.

I mean 18months in terms of the pandemic not the subsequent economic fallout.

I mean 18months in terms of the pandemic not the subsequent economic fallout.

Hopefully. But as WHO have said covid will not be going away. So we probably will have covid v2 covid v3 etc. And no vaccine is going to work as with each mutation a new one will be needed. Rinse wash repeat stuff.

We should all accept that part and relax and let life and the economy go back to some normality.

Hopefully. But as WHO have said covid will not be going away. So we probably will have covid v2 covid v3 etc. And no vaccine is going to work as with each mutation a new one will be needed. Rinse wash repeat stuff.

We should all accept that part and relax and let life and the economy go back to some normality.

The WHO are full of sh!t. Once we have a vaccine life will largely go back to normal, apart from the global recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Getting angry and stressed over this won't do you any good. We have to learn to accept the things we can't change. This pandemic is going to make sh!t of our lives for the next 18 months at least.

The response to the pandemic will make sh!t of our lives for the next 100 years.

• Advertisement

The response to the pandemic will make sh!t of our lives for the next 100 years.

Jesus Fintan, no need to be so dramatic. It won't be anything like that bad.

No it won’t. Total and utter baseless fearmongering.

Why was it obvious? We have 4,900,000 people living in this country. Could you please explain to me why 0.004% of our population getting positive test from covid over last 7 days keeps over 40,000 pub staff at home for another 3 weeks?

Rest of your post is extremely upsetting. If you cant do or change anything, doesnt mean that WE cant.

yawhat? wrote: »
    Perhaps it’s the obvious reason that they would be wasting their time and money as they don’t have a winnable case? Unless you can save the day and give a brief overview of the legal strategy they could adopt?

Can pubs put protective measures in place? Yes.

Are covid levels in the country high? No.

Are there existing measures in place such as covid tracing app/ taking of personal contact details? Yes.

Will pub staff wear face shields etc? Yes. (same as first point)

Has re opening pubs that serve 9 euro onion rings beside pints caused a spike in covid cases? No. The "spike" was caused by meat plants.

Above points will require this government to come up with factual evidence to back up their decision to keep pubs shut down. Its very very simple. Given that we are the only country in EU to keep pubs shut down, some serious justification will be required...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why was it obvious? We have 4,900,000 people living in this country. Could you please explain to me why 0.004% of our population getting positive test from covid over last 7 days keeps over 40,000 pub staff at home for another 3 weeks?

Rest of your post is extremely upsetting. If you cant do or change anything, doesnt mean that WE cant.

After all this time, you still appear to fail to understand that we are dealing with a highly contagious disease.

Maybe deliberately?

I actually find myself having an inner debate about whether I want the economy to collapse or not.

These morons in power need to have their hands forced. Not to mention the people happy to obey whatever farcical restriction is implemented next.

The latest seems to be that Covid is stronger after 11pm.

Maybe we need some people to lose properties, jobs and other assets so we can start seeing sense again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

When I heard the news this evening on the way home from work I just knew that there would be another foaming at the mouth rant from G'n'L to look forward to when I got home. Did not disappoint. Gives off about people in Ireland wearing 'nappies' on their faces, yet they are wearing them all over the world.

I should say though that I'm very disappointed that the pubs are not opening. I'd imagine that very many people are. Disappointed enough to protest about it? Nah.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Allinall wrote: »
    After all this time, you still appear to fail to understand that we are dealing with a highly contagious disease.

Maybe deliberately?
    A highy contagious disease that has killed a massive 1 person over the last 7 days. One person. One.

Ireland's solution? Close all pubs unless they serve a €9 meal. Close them before 11pm because the virus has vampire tendencies.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. Another month of 40,000 pub staff paying no taxes and collecting €350 every week from our ever dwindling finances.

What are you failing to see why people are complaining about this? You'll be one of these people on here moaning in October when your income gets a nice haircut.

I actually find myself having an inner debate about whether I want the economy to collapse or not.

These morons in power need to have their hands forced. Not to mention the people happy to obey whatever farcical restriction is implemented next.

The latest seems to be that Covid is stronger after 11pm.

Maybe we need some people to lose properties, jobs and other assets so we can start seeing sense again.

There will be an economic collapse of sorts no matter what we do now. All over the world not just here. We could cancel all the restrictions tomorrow but the economic outlook would still be the same, and then we'd all be back on full lockdown in 6 weeks or whenever when the ICUs start to get full again like in April which would lead to more economic damage. Changing the government or getting rid of NPHET would not make any difference. This isn't something that was created by politicians. People are going to lose properties, jobs and assets and more people are going to die, that's a fact. This is what happens in pandemics. The same things are happening in every country we are not being uniquely persecuted.

A lot of people on boards seem to be living in some alternative universe where the government caused the pandemic and if they just did things a little differently all the pubs and businesses would be open, no masks and we'd all be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

is there any punishment for people who know they have the virus and don't quarantine for 14 days?

• Advertisement

Lundstram wrote: »
    A highy contagious disease that has killed a massive 1 person over the last 7 days. One person. One.

Ireland's solution? Close all pubs unless they serve a €9 meal. Close them before 11pm because the virus has vampire tendencies.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. Another month of 40,000 pub staff paying no taxes and collecting €350 every week from our ever dwindling finances.

What are you failing to see why people are complaining about this? You'll be one of these people on here moaning in October when your income gets a nice haircut.

Like everything it will take the coming major rise in permanent jobs losses to bring some people to their senses.

Virgin Atlantic has filed for bankruptcy in the last hour. The snowball effect of shutting down economies will gather momentum as the weeks pass.

Can pubs put protective measures in place? Yes.

Are covid levels in the country high? No.

Are there existing measures in place such as covid tracing app/ taking of personal contact details? Yes.

Will pub staff wear face shields etc? Yes. (same as first point)

Has re opening pubs that serve 9 euro onion rings beside pints caused a spike in covid cases? No. The "spike" was caused by meat plants.

Above points will require this government to come up with factual evidence to back up their decision to keep pubs shut down. Its very very simple. Given that we are the only country in EU to keep pubs shut down, some serious justification will be required...

Brilliant. All they need now is a legal team to take the case. Any suggestions? Maybe yourself, Gemma and John as the dream team?

When the public sector wages and pensions get obliterated, social welfare gets trimmed and health service becomes underfunded, the light will turn on for some.

No amount of explanation right now will make some people understand whats ahead

yawhat? wrote: »
    No it won’t. Total and utter baseless fearmongering.

Well I'm happy to see hyprocracy is alive and well

You are wrong there. It did not kill that person. Covid was not the main cause of death. That 1 individual died with covid. We had people dying with cancer being reported as covid deaths.... over in UK they counted people dying in road accidents as covid deaths because they tested positive for covid months earlier.

I do agree with everything else you say. and that part in bold is just brilliant, its the science that applies only in Ireland, the magical 11pm close time that prevents spread of disease. And who could forget the 9 euro meal that essentially acts as a vaccine. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

When the public sector wages and pensions get obliterated, social welfare gets trimmed and health service becomes underfunded, the light will turn on for some.

No amount of explanation right now will make some people understand whats ahead
    Not a peep now because their wages are the same, because the Wage Subsidy Scheme is still being paid, because the PUPs keep flowing. All high and mighty until the above is affected.

October. Things will change then.

Virgin Atlantic has filed for bankruptcy in the last hour. The snowball effect of shutting down economies will gather momentum as the weeks pass.

No doubt somone will be on to post that they must of been struggling if they cant survive for 10 months with no turnover.

Well I'm happy to see hyprocracy is alive and well

Go on so, point out the hyprocracy.

No doubt somone will be on to post that they must of been struggling if they cant survive for 10 months with no turnover.

Probably but as global demand falls every secure job will be under threat in all sectors with the exception of the public sector.

Airlines tourism and hospitality will be the first major casualties. Retail next. Construction sector then and so on.

Eventually all the way to the banks who will be up to their necks in un-performing loans as happened before.

• Advertisement

Like everything it will take the coming major rise in permanent jobs losses to bring some people to their senses.

Wow.

Damn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement