Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

MadYaker wrote: »
    There will be an economic collapse of sorts no matter what we do now. All over the world not just here. We could cancel all the restrictions tomorrow but the economic outlook would still be the same, and then we'd all be back on full lockdown in 6 weeks or whenever when the ICUs start to get full again like in April which would lead to more economic damage. Changing the government or getting rid of NPHET would not make any difference. This isn't something that was created by politicians. People are going to lose properties, jobs and assets and more people are going to die, that's a fact. This is what happens in pandemics. The same things are happening in every country we are not being uniquely persecuted.

A lot of people on boards seem to be living in some alternative universe where the government caused the pandemic and if they just did things a little differently all the pubs and businesses would be open, no masks and we'd all be grand.

If the economy actually collapses, we won’t be locking down or worrying about Covid anymore. We’ll have much bigger problems to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Green list makes absolutely no sense at all. Liechtenstein at 5.2 cases per 100k, we're at 9 per 100k according to the latest ECDC bulletin from today 10am.
    Liechtenstein wasn't added to the list.

Germany at 10 cases per 100k. Largest economy in the EU, similar number of cases, adding Germany would surely be a significant boost to tourism and trade.
    Germany wasn't added to the list.

No logic at all, no common sense, and constant shifting goalposts.

I think after the latest green list Ryanair and IAG will have a even stronger case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I do agree with everything else you say. and that part in bold is just brilliant, its the science that applies only in Ireland, the magical 11pm close time that prevents spread of disease. And who could forget the 9 euro meal that essentially acts as a vaccine. :rolleyes:

Early closing means less drinking. Less drinking means less chance of overconsumption leading to reduced inhibitions. More chance of adherence to social distancing regs. I can see the logic in that.

The same logic for the substantial meal. Less consumption of alcohol due to feeling full and, more importantly, less people willing to pay for a meal every time they want a drink.

It's not a conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

KaneToad wrote: »
    Early closing means less drinking. Less drinking means less chance of overconsumption leading to reduced inhibitions. More chance of adherence to social distancing regs. I can see the logic in that.

The same logic for the substantial meal. Less consumption of alcohol due to feeling full and, more importantly, less people willing to pay for a meal every time they want a drink.

It's not a conspiracy.

There's already a 105 minutes restriction in place.
    What difference does it make if people start drinking at 10pm or 8pm if you can only spend 105 minutes in a restaurant / pub with food?

KaneToad wrote: »

It's not a conspiracy.

Closing off licenses at 10pm never did anything to stop people drinking did it? People actually bought more to ensure they had enough to last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

MadYaker wrote: »
    and then we'd all be back on full lockdown in 6 weeks or whenever when the ICUs start to get full again like in April which would lead to more economic damage. .

This won't happen because Ireland recently pioneered a rather unique form of triage, which involved empty hospitals and cancelled screenings, treatment's and procedures.

Only a Covid death will make the news

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

No doubt somone will be on to post that they must of been struggling if they cant survive for 10 months with no turnover.
    It's Chapter 15 in the US, it's part of the restructure. They'll remain in operation.......for now at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

The Belly wrote: »
    Like everything it will take the coming major rise in permanent jobs losses to bring some people to their senses.

Virgin Atlantic has filed for bankruptcy in the last hour. The snowball effect of shutting down economies will gather momentum as the weeks pass.

Who is to blame for Virgin Atlantic’s woes, NPHET to the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If the economy actually collapses, we won’t be locking down or worrying about Covid anymore. We’ll have much bigger problems to worry about.

Did you ever see that film the book of Eli with Denzel washington? That is what the country will look like if they dont ditch the super conservative nanny state crap soon. hes not my favorite actor of all time by the way.my favorite actor of all time is mr sidney poitier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I actually find myself having an inner debate about whether I want the economy to collapse or not.

These morons in power need to have their hands forced. Not to mention the people happy to obey whatever farcical restriction is implemented next.

The latest seems to be that Covid is stronger after 11pm.

Maybe we need some people to lose properties, jobs and other assets so we can start seeing sense again.

I totally agree. I dont want them to be ao walk away without serious ramifications. The biggest issue is, its usually those rats that will sail off into the sunset... basically i cant see much pushback against this idiocy, until the finakcial implications become clear as hell !

My first post on this thread months back , reckoned it would play out like this. A country crippled by conservatism , lack of leadership, spoofers and who despite twp booms, preside over comedy housing, health, justice, infrastructure etc...

Luckily im now in a rekatively ok financial situation, i would advise you do all you cak to shore up your situations. These morons will send us off the cliff again... be prepared !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I totally agree. I dont want them to be ao walk away without serious ramifications. The biggest issue is, its usually those rats that will sail off into the sunset... basically i cant see much pushback against this idiocy, until the finakcial implications become clear as hell !

My first post on this thread months back , reckoned it would play out like this. A country crippled by conservatism , lack of leadership, spoofers and who despite twp booms, preside over comedy housing, health, justice, infrastructure etc...

Luckily im now in a rekatively ok financial situation, i would advise you do all you cak to shore up your situations. These morons will send us off the cliff again... be prepared !

The decision-makers in charge of this crisis have no skin in the game and will be totally insulated from the disastrous outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

The decision-makers in charge of this crisis have no skin in the game and will be totally insulated from the disastrous outcomes.

You really think Mary working the till in Spar, or Billy the Batman should be directing our public health policy?

Allinall wrote: »
    You really think Mary working the till in Spar, or Billy the Batman should be directing our public health policy?

Did i say they should?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I’d listen to Batman any day over our politicians.

Did i say they should?

What was the point of your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Career politicians who've been in the game since their teens isn't much better

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What was the point of your post?
    That's it easier to make a decision on someone's livelihood when it doesn't affect your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

No doubt somone will be on to post that they must of been struggling if they cant survive for 10 months with no turnover.

Do you know whether or not they were struggling? If you don’t know then maybe try to find out. If you do know, then your post is a pathetic attempt to deny reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Co incidentally first time I've watched RTE since mid July today.

So M Martin says this, when asked why didnt government look at county by county approach to reopening pubs

"It would be too onerous to gather data"

fk me. actually said that.

O well, lets hope it wont be too onerous for CSO to collect all that data relating to unemployment and liquidations. Fkin hell.

Another great answer by Ronan Glynn too, when asked why didnt the 200 outdoor gathering limit went to 500 with relation to attending GAA games etc., he comes out with a classic

"There is no issue with having couple of hundred people inside a stadium from public health perspective, the issue would be people gathering together on the way to and from the stadium, taking same public transport"

Croke Park has 82,300 capacity. Currently, for the next 3 weeks actually, maximum of 200 fans could attend. Now is this stupid or what? What about cars? Driving in? Car parks??? Croke park car park has 300 car capacity. Now say 2 people drive in from same household and park, not sharing any bloody public transport (that, to my knowledge, in this country still hasnt had any "clusters") thats 600 fans straight away arriving in a safe manner. Use same approach throughout the country varying on stadium sizes etc.

There is a man missing in all this, our great minister for finance, the wet blanket who keeps borrowing..... VAT intake ? Abysmal. Finance forecasts? Abysmal. Unemployment? through the roof. Is he still around btw? Seeing how he has no say in whether businesses in Ireland actually operate or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The decision makers are the politicians. But you mean the cowards just deflecting to the medical """"experts""""" in a blatant act of cowardice and abandonment....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

“The majority of pubs across Ireland are still closed and they will now have to keep their doors shut for a minimum of 168 days, which represents 46% of a year,” the LVA and VFI said in a joint statement.

The groups said the sympathy being expressed by Government “will not save pub businesses or jobs”.

https://www.thejournal.ie/decision-to-delay-pubs-reopening-will-be-met-with-fury-and-despair-by-industry-publican-reps-say-5167511-Aug2020/

Incredible. As one very good comment underneath the article pointed out:

Farcical stuff. There hasn’t been one confirmed case of covid in the pubs and restaurants that are open for over a month. Yet they still blame the pubs that aren’t even opened. Killing so many small businesses

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The decision makers are the politicians. But you mean the cowards just deflecting to the medical """"experts""""" in a blatant act of cowardice and abandonment....

When the sh1t hits then fan you will hear alot of we were going on the best information available at the time stuff.

FF FG Greens will be voted out but the economic damage will be done SF will probably get a majority and inherit a country in crisis but at that stage the troika IMF or something to that effect will be running the show.

“The majority of pubs across Ireland are still closed and they will now have to keep their doors shut for a minimum of 168 days, which represents 46% of a year,” the LVA and VFI said in a joint statement.

The groups said the sympathy being expressed by Government “will not save pub businesses or jobs”.

https://www.thejournal.ie/decision-to-delay-pubs-reopening-will-be-met-with-fury-and-despair-by-industry-publican-reps-say-5167511-Aug2020/

Incredible. As one very good comment underneath the article pointed out:

Farcical stuff. There hasn’t been one confirmed case of covid in the pubs and restaurants that are open for over a month. Yet they still blame the pubs that aren’t even opened. Killing so many small businesses

Nobody is blaming pubs for anything.

Yet another show of lack of understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

This governemt really are an ultra consecutive bunch of muppets. All they are capable of doing is taking advice from nphet. No lateral thinking or not a decent solution to anything between the lot of them.
    They won't be happy till a full blown recession is declared.
    The upcoming budget should be a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

I haven't posted on this thread for a while but like many I watched the news this evening with total dismay. It really does seem like FF are hell bent on sending us off over a cliff into an economic abyss yet again!

And as for wondering will the publicans protest or will anyone protest, will they fcuk!:mad: This is conservative Ireland, where it's the gospel according to whatever would be saint is in charge this time :rolleyes: We could do with a few French style gilets jaunes, but that will never happen here, we're too cowardly!

This whole bull**** about the absolute priority being schools reopening [like the rest of Europe don't have schools :rolleyes::rolleyes:] is pure politics. They want to sacrifice everything to open schools, which will be done quite unsafely, ironically, according to their plans, and then they can say hurray they got the schools back open! And then what??

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You have to fear what could happen if the schools aren't able to go back as scheduled

We could end up going back phases

ixoy wrote: »
    That's it easier to make a decision on someone's livelihood when it doesn't affect your own.

Do you really think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

When can RTÉ get on some better experts than the muppets they roll out weekly??!!
    Gerry Killeen acting like an arrogant pr*** on Primetime just now showing absolutely no sympathy for the businesses going to the wall & struggling to survive. Then mentioned he was ‘glad’ this current disastrous Government were more ‘open’ to listening to him&his cronies...

The journalist did put some pressure on re flattening the curve v eradication. But no one has yet called out him or the others for their misinformation re Ireland being in a 2nd wave two weeks ago.
    He also got away with stating: ‘Because other diseases have been eradicated during my time in Public Health, so should Covid’...
    So...we all need to lock down indefinitely and ‘eradicate’ which isn’t possible as we’re an EU and open border country with the North and U.K, and no worries with the consequences such as societal collapse, bankrupt state and our way of life being destroyed...This guy doesn’t give a dam about anyone in this country, our economy or our way of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

acequion wrote: »
    I haven't posted on this thread for a while but like many I watched the news this evening with total dismay. It really does seem like FF are hell bent on sending us off over a cliff into an economic abyss yet again!

And as for wondering will the publicans protest or will anyone protest, will they fcuk!:mad: This is conservative Ireland, where it's the gospel according to whatever would be saint is in charge this time :rolleyes: We could do with a few French style gilets jaunes, but that will never happen here, we're too cowardly!

This whole bull**** about the absolute priority being schools reopening [like the rest of Europe don't have schools :rolleyes::rolleyes:] is pure politics. They want to sacrifice everything to open schools, which will be done quite unsafely, ironically, according to their plans, and then they can say hurray they got the schools back open! And then what??
    Great post. Just look at the reaction to the water charges protestors. They were criticised more from the public than government. We are cowards, afraid to step out of line. Makes me sad that we just bend over and do as we are told.

People were happy to protest for black people in America but scoff at the idea of protesting for their own democratic freedoms.

I'd happily join a protest but there's no will for it here mainly because people are getting generous handouts at the moment, but are not looking at the long term affects.

Fighting Irish my arse.

• Advertisement

When can RTÉ get on some better experts than the muppets they roll our weekly??!!
    Gerry Killeen acting like an arrogant pr*** on Primetime just now showing absolutely no sympathy for the businesses going to the wall & struggling to survive. Then mentioned he was ‘glad’ this current disastrous Government were more ‘open’ to listening to him&his cronies...

The journalist did put some pressure on re flattening the curve v eradication. But no one has yet called out him or the others for their misinformation re Ireland being in a 2nd wave two weeks ago.
    He also got away with stating: ‘Because other diseases have been eradicated during my time in Public Health, so should Covid’...
    So...we all need to lock down indefinitely and ‘eradicate’ which isn’t possible as we’re an EU and open border country with the North and U.K, and no worries with the consequences such as societal collapse, bankrupt state and our way of life being destroyed...This guy doesn’t give a dam about anyone in this country, our economy or our way of life.

He is sorted permanent pensionable UCC job probably has his years clocked up. It makes no odds to him either way and he gets in the limelight never heard of him before this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement