Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lads stop watching the bull**** on rte...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

When can RTÉ get on some better experts than the muppets they roll out weekly??!!
    Gerry Killeen acting like an arrogant pr*** on Primetime just now showing absolutely no sympathy for the businesses going to the wall & struggling to survive. Then mentioned he was ‘glad’ this current disastrous Government were more ‘open’ to listening to him&his cronies...

The journalist did put some pressure on re flattening the curve v eradication. But no one has yet called out him or the others for their misinformation re Ireland being in a 2nd wave two weeks ago.
    He also got away with stating: ‘Because other diseases have been eradicated during my time in Public Health, so should Covid’...
    So...we all need to lock down indefinitely and ‘eradicate’ which isn’t possible as we’re an EU and open border country with the North and U.K, and no worries with the consequences such as societal collapse, bankrupt state and our way of life being destroyed...This guy doesn’t give a dam about anyone in this country, our economy or our way of life.

Why do people find Gerrys point so difficult to understand? He is calling for a short harsh lockdown so that we can go back to normal. He has said that by following the current government plan we will be stuck in phase 2 and 3 until we get a vaccine, which leaves us pretty much where we are now. The entire goal of his plan is to reopen the economy as quickly and safely as possible. I don't know if he is correct or if his plan can be achieved but he has been proven right that the half assed approach will not support a fully functioning economy. He is not and has never called for indefinate lockdown, his entire plan is to lift as many restrictions as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

snotboogie wrote: »
    Why do people find Gerrys point so difficult to understand? He is calling for a short harsh lockdown so that we can go back to normal. He has said that by following the current plan we will be stuck in phase 2 and 3 until we get a vaccine, which leaves us pretty much where we are now. The entire goal of his plan is to reopen the economy as quickly as and safely as possible. I don't know if he is correct or if his plan can be achieved but has been proven right that the half assed approach will not support a fully functioning economy. He is not and has never called for indefinate lockdown, his entire plan is to lift as many restrictions as possible.

:rolleyes:

Let me help you. The answer is: no.

Also, if you think about it logically, we can go into Wuhan lockdown tomorrow for 3 months and eradicate covid. Yay? Not really. After 3 months and 1 day an airplane full of people from Texas will land in Dublin airport. and you know, covid is back. So do we go into another 3 months Gerry lockdown then too? Thats half a year in a very strict lockdown. What has been achieved? Nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Co incidentally first time I've watched RTE since mid July today.

So M Martin says this, when asked why didnt government look at county by county approach to reopening pubs

"It would be too onerous to gather data"

fk me. actually said that.

O well, lets hope it wont be too onerous for CSO to collect all that data relating to unemployment and liquidations. Fkin hell.

Another great answer by Ronan Glynn too, when asked why didnt the 200 outdoor gathering limit went to 500 with relation to attending GAA games etc., he comes out with a classic

"There is no issue with having couple of hundred people inside a stadium from public health perspective, the issue would be people gathering together on the way to and from the stadium, taking same public transport"

Croke Park has 82,300 capacity. Currently, for the next 3 weeks actually, maximum of 200 fans could attend. Now is this stupid or what? What about cars? Driving in? Car parks??? Croke park car park has 300 car capacity. Now say 2 people drive in from same household and park, not sharing any bloody public transport (that, to my knowledge, in this country still hasnt had any "clusters") thats 600 fans straight away arriving in a safe manner. Use same approach throughout the country varying on stadium sizes etc.

There is a man missing in all this, our great minister for finance, the wet blanket who keeps borrowing..... VAT intake ? Abysmal. Finance forecasts? Abysmal. Unemployment? through the roof. Is he still around btw? Seeing how he has no say in whether businesses in Ireland actually operate or not.

I read that in a Roy Keane accent, works well :pac:

Why do people find Gerrys point so difficult to understand? He is calling for a short harsh lockdown so that we can go back to normal. He has said that by following the current government plan we will be stuck in phase 2 and 3 until we get a vaccine, which leaves us pretty much where we are now. The entire goal of his plan is to reopen the economy as quickly and safely as possible. I don't know if he is correct or if his plan can be achieved but he has been proven right that the half assed approach will not support a fully functioning economy. He is not and has never called for indefinate lockdown, his entire plan is to lift as many restrictions as possible.

His plan can’t work while flights are coming in from USA/UK etc. And we aren’t going to do anything to upset those countries.

Easier to turn the people on each other and keep blaming the pubs and young people.

Then pass the blame on when the economy collapses.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Let me help you. The answer is: no.

Also, if you think about it logically, we can go into Wuhan lockdown tomorrow for 3 months and eradicate covid. Yay? Not really. After 3 months and 1 day an airplane full of people from Texas will land in Dublin airport. and you know, covid is back. So do we go into another 3 months Gerry lockdown then too? Thats half a year in a very strict lockdown. What has been achieved? Nothing.

Gerry has called for restrictions in inbound travel and critized the government's approach at airports. He is calling for a lot of the same things as people in this thread. I don't know if he is right that the virus can be eradicated in Ireland or if he is right that a vaccine will take many years but he has been proven right that the economy will not just return to normal by muddling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Lads stop watching the bull**** on rte...

If they allowed a semblance of balance on the debate maybe it would be worth a watch.

Its an echo chamber for the petrified folk that will need serious help to overcome Covid phobia.

His plan can’t work while flights are coming in from USA/UK etc. And we aren’t going to do anything to upset those countries.

Easier to turn the people on each other and keep blaming the pubs and young people.

Then pass the blame on when the economy collapses.

Maybe that's true but his plan is not indefinite lockdown, it is the exact opposite of that. He was the first major voice decrying the "new normal". People should at least represent his position fairly when disagreeing with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

When do you realise there is no such thing as a ‘short/sharp lockdown’. Gerry’s manner towards the lady representing her 200 year old family business who spent thousands getting ready for reopening was dismissive and arrogant.
    We are an EU country sharing a common travel area with NI and the U.K. Have you forgotten the legalities and other consequences of this or do you choose to ignore it when mentioning Gerry’s point of view?
    The first lockdown went on for weeks too long & we never got to zero. The only way to get to zero in Ireland is to shut down our economy indefinitely, our way of life perhaps permanently, putting thousands upon thousands more on state support which we cannot afford, and societal collapse & disorder as a consequence. I think anyone who suggests this approach with all the damage currently done to our economy and society needs to be held to account & their pie in the sky suggestions dissected urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Watching rte is like feeding the troll at this stage...

• Advertisement

When do you realise there is no such thing as a ‘short/sharp lockdown’. Gerry’s manner towards the lady representing her 200 year old family business who spent thousands getting ready for reopening was dismissive and arrogant.
    We are an EU country sharing a common travel area with NI and the U.K. Have you forgotten the legalities and other consequences of this or do you choose to ignore it when mentioning Gerry’s point of view?
    The first lockdown went on for weeks too long & we never got to zero. The only way to get to zero in Ireland is to shut down our economy indefinitely, our way of life perhaps permanently, putting thousands upon thousands more on state support which we cannot afford, and societal collapse & disorder as a consequence. I think anyone who suggests this approach with all the damage currently done to our economy and society needs to be held to account & their pie in the sky suggestions dissected urgently.

Yes, and also the first lockdown caused over 1600 people developing cancer without early preventing treatment/screening. Gerry is a bit of a madman, clueless madman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

We silence batsh1t crazy Gemma O'Doherty.

We put batsh1t crazy Gerry Killeen on national TV.

All about the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

At least we are keeping those poxy Sammarinese out, that will definitely lower our infection rate.
    Seriously has there ever been a more pointless action that to take San Marino off the Green list?

It's impossible to travel to or from San Marino directly without going through Italy and Italy is on the green lsit. In theory nobody travels to or from San Marino anyway.
    At least with Monaco or Gibraltar you could theoretically get a boat.

At least we are keeping those poxy Sammarinese out, that will definitely lower our infection rate.
    Seriously has there ever been a more pointless action that to take San Marino off the Green list?

It's impossible to travel to or from San Marino directly without going through Italy and Italy is on the green lsit. In theory nobody travels to or from San Marino anyway.
    At least with Monaco or Gibraltar you could theoretically get a boat.

:D

Are we the most embarrassing nation on the planet? Is any other country even remotely close? We have Greenland on our travel list.......... :rolleyes:

What really galls me is the outdoor gatherings.

Seriously, thousands gathered for Black Lives matters marches and no infections.
    Thousands have been gathering on beaches etc since this whole things started- no infections.
    Evidence overwhelmingly show risk of infection outdoors is minimal to non existent.

My Local Athletics club has now had to cancel it's annual fund raising race for the 2nd time. That money is used to help hundreds of disadvantaged kids and keep them busy and engaged in healthy activity. What harm a few hundred people running a 5k around open roads while well spread out?
    Seriously...

Same applies to GAA and soccer clubs who cant even have a few hundred paying spectators watch a match in open air stadiums/grounds that can hold multiple times those numbers.

This is it. The most idiotic moment of 2020. Beautiful

The Taoiseach said: “I want [pub owners] to know, that I have enormous sympathy for their plight.

This virus is taking away their ability to earn a living. It is stopping them from providing a key service in the heart of many communities.

https://www.thejournal.ie/restaurants-and-pubs-serving-food-will-have-to-close-at-11pm-taoiseach-says-5167695-Aug2020/

Like if I was a pub owner or even working in a pub, I'd be getting in touch now with everyone I know and marching on to govt buildings at Merrion road if not tomorrow then this weekend. Those 25,000 + pub workers should just protest instead of sitting at home and watch their jobs evaporate into thin air while M Martin blames covid. We are the only country in EU with closed pubs/bars. Funny how covid spares pub/bar jobs in other EU countries but not in Ireland...:rolleyes::mad::mad::mad:

Fair enough if you don't think it will work, call him out on why you think it won't but none of the first point addresses this. Its arguing against a strawman. Gerrys entire argument is based on fully reopening the domestic economy, not on shutting it down indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What really galls me is the outdoor gatherings.

Seriously, thousands gathered for Black Lives matters marches and no infections.
    Thousands have been gathering on beaches etc since this whole things started- no infections.
    Evidence overwhelmingly show risk of infection outdoors is minimal to non existent.

My Local Athletics club has now had to cancel it's annual fund raising race for the 2nd time. That money is used to help hundreds of disadvantaged kids and keep them busy and engaged in healthy activity. What harm a few hundred people running a 5k around open roads while well spread out?
    Seriously...

Same applies to GAA and soccer clubs who cant even have a few hundred paying spectators watch a match in open air stadiums/grounds that can hold multiple times those numbers.

They had 500 at a soccer game in Northern Ireland a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Any lockdown in any form is not going to eradicate covid but what it will do its destroy our economy and our normal way of life.

I'm sure Gerry is an expert in his field and has his expert advice but he is out of his depth when he talks about how his proposal would save the economy.

The only thing at this stage that can limit the damage is the lifting of all covid restrictions and let people themselves decide what they want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

On the bright side, RTE almost certainly will suffer even more financially once the public expenditure cuts come in.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    They had 500 at a soccer game in Northern Ireland a few days ago.

Indeed, 500 Allowed for outdoor gatherings and pubs fully opened a month now, case rate has stabilised at about 10 day and no deaths in over a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Indeed, 500 Allowed for outdoor gatherings and pubs fully opened a month now, case rate has stabilised at about 10 day and no deaths in over a fortnight.

I suppose the virus is just more contagious to us in the south for some unknown reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

On the bright side, RTE almost certainly will suffer even more financially once the public expenditure cuts come in.

Don't worry tubs, Duffy and D'Arcy will still be getting their big fat salaries to spew horse***** to us no matter how bad things get!

Watching primetime repeat now on RTE+1.

Girl from publicans is spot on. Only thing preventing half of pubs reopening in Ireland is a portion of fkin chicken wings. Unbelievable.

Gerry Killeen as always: "what economic cure? I can show you simulations going back to March, its a predictable rollercoaster, some simulations say the infection rollercoaster goes on for years, some simulations say they go on forever"

"Unfortunately because we have lost of some progress we have made, we are looking at another few months" When asked about when pubs could reopen.

Gerry Killeen is the single most unpleasant person I've seen on TV. Has a horrible attitude answering questions, talks nonsense, genuinely seems very relaxed about job losses etc. RTE has really become a sad state of affairs.

Needless to say I wont watch now until end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I saw this article praising Italy and Sweden, two different approaches but at present seem to have matters under control.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-08-04/italy-and-sweden-are-taming-the-coronavirus-s-potential-second-wave

The Belly wrote: »
    Any lockdown in any form is not going to eradicate covid but what it will do its destroy our economy and our normal way of life.

I'm sure Gerry is an expert in his field and has his expert advice but he is out of his depth when he talks about how his proposal would save the economy.

The only thing at this stage that can limit the damage is the lifting of all covid restrictions and let people themselves decide what they want to do.

No country on earth has lifted all restrictions. Every government in the world is not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

No country on earth has lifted all restrictions. Every government in the world is not stupid.

Well, thats debatable.

In order to be sure to eradicate covid completely the island of Ireland would need to be shut down no one in or out.

The entire population tested over and over again. Anyone with covid isolated not self-isolation. Then we would have a covid free island eventually and a failed state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Gerry Killeen is the single most unpleasant person I've seen on TV. Has a horrible attitude answering questions, talks nonsense, genuinely seems very relaxed about job losses etc. RTE has really become a sad state of affairs.

+ 1000 I watched it back too tonight and found the man repugnant :mad:

Came back on here to see a few of his groupies getting going with "Gerry" this and "Gerry" that as if he were some cute benign household name. I'm in my late 50's, been around a bit and remember the pontificating of the priests back in the 80;s and 90's.

This "Gerry" is an exact replica. Dictatorial, holier than thou and not giving one proverbial about how people are suffering. May as well call him Fr Gerry.

Who on earth voted for this guy to call the shots! :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I saw this article praising Italy and Sweden, two different approaches but at present seem to have matters under control.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-08-04/italy-and-sweden-are-taming-the-coronavirus-s-potential-second-wave

More evidence that you get your big burn through with covid and then it basically starts to disappear. The vaccines are looking more pointless by the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

It’s hard to believe Irish politicians and media are continuing on the track they are. It’s even harder to believe so many people seem to be accepting the psychotic ramblings of politicians and pretend virus experts. I am delighted to see many on here are beginning to see the bigger picture though. And it’s not a pretty one that’s being painted.
    There is not one bit of humility left in the leadership of Ireland. Maybe humility was never there but there was certainly a bit of pride among politicians for the fact that Ireland was something worth fighting for. That is gone. Their hopes and dreams are only to climb high enough up the EU ladder so that they can sit at the big boys table to share in the spoils of a destroyed Europe. The economic damage they are causing to Ireland by cancelling the economy will dwarf the damage covid has caused. When pensions are wiped out we will be reminded it was to stop the virus. There was no other way, don’t you see? Of course crippling a country was the only way.
    The covid bale out fund Michael Martin signed over so eagerly to the EU has put Ireland in debt for decades. Ireland, little old Ireland is giving away billions to countries with lower taxes and lower pension ages. Italy for example already owes billions to German banks. Italy is hanging on by its fingernails economically but by some magic wand the Irish government seems to possess, he has tricked everyone in Ireland to pay off these loans. That’s why Germany was so eager to get the deal done. This deal in itself should have been voted for or against by the people of Ireland. It was a much bigger matter than actually joining the euro, not that the vast majority seems to notice or care. Using covid as an excuse couldn’t have come at a better time.
    And now businesses will stay closed unless they service a basket of greasy chicken wings.
    Because no matter what happens people, we can’t let anyone die. Never again will someone die on our watch in Ireland. We don’t care if we increase the level of suicide in Ireland tenfold , because we won’t count them as a covid deaths. We don’t care if we kill off 1000’s of small businesses because they’re not covid deaths either. No one will ever die again. Let’s make sure of that. At whatever the cost. Are you with me people of Ireland?

Oh I can hear the applauding already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement