Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Or at least have the balls to come out and say that they cannot reopen at all. At least then businesses could start making some decisions.

This kicking the can down the road is cowardly and pathetic, absolutely terrible leadership on display.

They keep leading them up the hill of hope ever 3 weeks and back down, no business can survive like this.

If its 30th Sept, stick to it, give them a chance. If it fails and cases rise then we know where we stand with pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Allinall wrote: »
    I was watching the football a few months ago, and Pep Guardiola said that sadly his mother had died from Cornavirus.

The pertinent question is did she die from covid 19 or did she die with covid 19. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

1 person has died with covid over the last 7 days. With covid. We've kept over 25,000 people sitting at home, and told them to stay home for 3 more weeks.

Country of public health advice.
    Did you actually read what I was responding to?
    Do you think joining a protest with the national party/G'OD and the like is going to help?

So you want to open the pubs now grand, what are your other solutions to help the economy and still keep the number of infections low? Have the numbers not been rising the last few weeks since restrictions have started lifting people have been moving around more etc? Will opening pubs help these numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I've done the same and admittedly the TD in the neighbouring constituency a few minutes up the road is the health minister.

Anyway 1 reply so far and its the bog standard, NPHETs advice, schools etc. The same as what was said in the press conference earlier. I'm sure once the schools reopen something else will come up not to enter phase 4.

Be hard pushed to get any of them to deviate from that I'd say.

The thing that annoyed me the most was the outdoor crowds staying at 200.

With regards to protest, I wouldn't attend, simply because I don't see the point in breaking the mass gathering restrictions it just gives them the stick to extend restrictions.

I agree the 200 should of increased to 500. But any pub not already open, is more than likely gone to the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Easy win for MM would be to reopen the pubs, blame Leo for being too conversative. MM becomes the saviour and is carried shoulder high through the next few elections. But no, he has decided to piss everyone off!

No he has decided to allign to the perpetually petrified. I really hope they find a placebo/vaccine for the paralysis caused by Covid phobia.

The stats are being ignored, I dont know why, Sweden allegedly has a high cost of life, despite the fact a citizen over 65 is just as safe in Sweden as in Ireland.

Regarding the closing of schools in March. I think that will have far reaching consequences. The foreign direct investment, which accounts for most of Irelands GDP, is drawn here by the tax rates and educated workforce. The global tax structure is changing so that leaves an educated workforce as an incentive. Unfortunately a lack of leadership has seen a generations education obliterated to oppease fear among an ill-informed nation.

The sooner some people remove the Covid sunglasses the better, because if they dont, Ireland will soon become the Romania of Western Europe, except with incessant rain

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Do you think joining a protest with the national party/G'OD and the like is going to help?

So you want to open the pubs now grand, what are your other solutions to help the economy and still keep the number of infections low?

Let all the americans in so we can get temple bar going again:D

That is the only reason temple bar is shut, no tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Why don't you look at the facts.

The pubs that are open are not packed, most of the staff are not going back.

When the rest do open, it will be at a limited capacity and these will not have all the staff back either.

Temple bar pubs all serve food but aren't open out of their own choice, mainly because demand is not there for it, people don't want to go near the city.

Why would staff be in a rush to go back with a 350 payment each week? This problem has been highlighted in the UK recently.

The daily covid msm fueled scare tactics has the population afraid to go near the city. Right or wrong it will decimate the high street given enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

rob316 wrote: »
    They keep leading them up the hill of hope ever 3 weeks and back down, no business can survive like this.

If its 30th Sept, stick to it, give them a chance. If it fails and cases rise then we know where we stand with pubs.

So the new date of 31 August. You think that no matter what transpires before that date that the pubs should be allowed to reopen because it is unfair to them otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I agree the 200 should of increased to 500. But any pub not already open, is more than likely gone to the wall

potentially which is why I also mentioned that supports for businesses that have to remain closed should be looked at urgently, having the sympathy of the government won't pay the bills that still come in.

All well and good providing loans when they reopen but grants would be whats needed.

But yeah the main point was the 200/500 limit and its viability for many sporting organisations, the 500 was seen as a sort of lifeline for many.

The Belly wrote: »
    Why would staff be in a rush to go back with a 350 payment each week? This problem has be highlighted in the UK recently.

The daily covid msm fueled scare tactics has the population afraid to go near the city. Right or wrong it will decimate the high street given enough time.

I think covid has made people see things differently. That there is better value in their local area, great food and great pubs.

As for the high street, people now realise we don't need it and can get it all online with better customer service.

The high street got what it deserved, over charging, ignorant staff and full of people rushing about

• Advertisement

potentially which is why I also mentioned that supports for businesses that have to remain closed should be looked at urgently, having the sympathy of the government won't pay the bills that still come in.

All well and good providing loans when they reopen but grants would be whats needed.

But yeah the main point was the 200/500 limit and its viabity for many sporting organisations, the 500 was seen as a sort of lifeline for many.

The sporting clubs knock on effect here could be bad, which in turn hurt the country more, as people need the sport clubs for their health

Why would staff be in a rush to go back with a 350 payment each week? This problem has be highlighted in the UK recently.

Staff cannot refuse to go back to work and stay on the PUP you do know that?.....right?
    I wouldn't be taking queues from the UK about how best to deal with anything. They are meant to be tackling obesity while encouraging people to go out and eat in places like mcdonalds and nandos by giving massive discounts.

I was in Dublin CC at the weekend and bars and restaurants were fairly busy. So the "scare tactics" clearly aren't working that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

I think covid has made people see things differently. That there is better value in their local area, great food and great pubs.

As for the high street, people now realise we don't need it and can get it all online with better customer service.

The high street got what it deserved, over charging, ignorant staff and full of people rushing about

Well i agree that staying local is better all around both for work and spending regardless of covid and hopefully that will be one of the good things to come from all this.

However, if the high streets in major cities and tourist towns get hammered all at once due to this its going to have a massive effect on employment and the public finances which means more taxes and more cuts.

Well i agree that staying local is better all around both for work and spending regardless of covid and hopefully that will be one of the good things to come from all this.

However, if the high streets in major cities and tourist towns get hammered all at once due to this its going to have a massive effect on employment and the public finances which means more taxes and more cuts.

Tourists towns were buzzing last weekend, where we were it was crazy busy, everyone having a good time.

We are heading away for week in Ireland soon, hotel rang us to say you need to book things in the town early as its booming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

So what is your email saying?
    What do you want to happen exactly? Pubs to be re-opened with restrictions I am guessing but what else? Clubs? (How has that worked in other countries?)

There is strange and there is STRANGE...

My general view is to allow people live their lives freely. Those that feel vulnerable should be accommodated also. the tax payer shouldn't be left footing a massive bill nor should people be in a hole with their mortgages and other billd (and potential job losses) over government action/inaction on this either.
    Personally I'd open up all of society again and accept the risks that come with that.

I am not demanding that i get exactly what I want cos that would be arrogant. show me something else, a plan with targets (and caveats) and i'm willing to say ok to that.

the risk/reward of the current strategy is skewed in a mental way.

We could talk for hours on the minute details but hopefully that gives an overall idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So the new date of 31 August. You think that no matter what transpires before that date that the pubs should be allowed to reopen because it is unfair to them otherwise?

Obviously within reason but right now they are been scapegoated and be painted as a ticking time bomb and the cause of a 2nd wave without even opening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Why would staff be in a rush to go back with a 350 payment each week? This problem has been highlighted in the UK recently.

I think this is only part of the truth. I have been into the city centre just once since this began. Not because I'm fearful, but because I couldn't be bothered putting on a mask and standing in a queue to get into a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

No he has decided to allign to the perpetually petrified. I really hope they find a placebo/vaccine for the paralysis caused by Covid phobia.

The stats are being ignored, I dont know why, Sweden allegedly has a high cost of life, despite the fact a citizen over 65 is just as safe in Sweden as in Ireland.

Regarding the closing of schools in March. I think that will have far reaching consequences. The foreign direct investment, which accounts for most of Irelands GDP, is drawn here by the tax rates and educated workforce. The global tax structure is changing so that leaves an educated workforce as an incentive. Unfortunately a lack of leadership has seen a generations education obliterated to oppease fear among an ill-informed nation.

The sooner some people remove the Covid sunglasses the better, because if they dont, Ireland will soon become the Romania of Western Europe, except with incessant rain

A generations education obliterated..,

I mean, come on. A couple months online/ home learning, doesn't set you back 20 years

So you want to open the pubs now grand, what are your other solutions to help the economy and still keep the number of infections low? Have the numbers not been rising the last few weeks since restrictions have started lifting people have been moving around more etc? Will opening pubs help these numbers?

Why bring the National Party/G O'D into it? They could rock up at any protest. You are cynically trying to associate the poster with G O'D.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Staff cannot refuse to go back to work and stay on the PUP you do know that?.....right?
    I wouldn't be taking queues from the UK about how best to deal with anything. They are meant to be tackling obesity while encouraging people to go out and eat in places like mcdonalds and nandos by giving massive discounts.

I was in Dublin CC at the weekend and bars and restaurants were fairly busy. So the "scare tactics" clearly aren't working that well.

But lots of staff are not going back to work they are refusing on medical grounds.
    They are getting notes for doctors saying they are not fit for work .
    I have heard it from a few employers who have staff and in this current climate what can employers do about this?
    not a lot.

• Advertisement

What you are saying is: I don't like the City, so no one else should either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

paw patrol wrote: »
    My general view is to allow people live their lives freely. Those that feel vulnerable should be accommodated also. the tax payer shouldn't be left footing a massive bill nor should people be in a hole with their mortgages and other bill (and potential job losses) over government action/inaction on this either.
    Personally I'd open up all of society again and accept the risks that come with that.

. I am not demanding that i get exactly what I want cos that would be arrogant. show me something else, a plan with targets (and caveats) and i'm willing to say ok to that.

We could talk for hours on the minute details but hopefully that gives an overall idea.

And here we have it. Absolute waffle. No plan other than open it all chief and hope for the best. But if you give me a different plan I might agree to it, but more likely I’ll p*** all over it. But no way am I offering any solutions other than open it up chief and hope for the best.

yawhat? wrote: »
    And here we have it. Absolute waffle. No plan other than open it all chief and hope for the best. But if you give me a different plan I might agree to it, but more likely I’ll p*** all over it. But no way am I offering any solutions other than open it up chief and hope for the best.

It's funny, I read it as open up and we'll deal with whatever consequences might arise. I didn't see any 'Hope for the best".

paw patrol wrote: »
    My general view is to allow people live their lives freely. Those that feel vulnerable should be accommodated also. the tax payer shouldn't be left footing a massive bill nor should people be in a hole with their mortgages and other bill (and potential job losses) over government action/inaction on this either.

. I am not demanding that i get exactly what I want cos that would be arrogant. show me something else, a plan with targets (and caveats) and i'm willing to say ok to that.

Open up all of society again. What would that entail though? What needs to desperately be opened in your opinion that is closed bar the pubs? Nightclubs? Gig venues?
    With no social distancing, masks etc?
    So you think the best course of action is herd immunity?

I don't need minute detail but you didn't offer any detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they are all one and the same voice here anyway. But MM probably saw the FG surge in support with the lock it all down mentality and is just continuing on from there...

there is zero difference here between the previous government and this one, on how this is and was being handled...

polesheep wrote: »
    It's funny, I read it as open up and we'll deal with whatever consequences might arise. I didn't see any 'Hope for the best".
    Is there a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The sporting clubs knock on effect here could be bad, which in turn hurt the country more, as people need the sport clubs for their health

Without underlying illnesses, there is minimal concern with respect to this virus if you eat fresh fruit and vegetables (particularly cruciferous veg), sleep enough, drink lots of water, exercise, don't drink too much alcohol and don't be overweight. This message does not get the same airtime as vaccines, masks, social distancing even though it is the most important of all measures to minimise the impact of the virus.

Why bring the National Party/G O'D into it? They could rock up at any protest. You are cynically trying to associate the poster with G O'D.
    What other largeish groups have protested the lockdown?
    Have other groups gone to the high court and I missed it?
    Would a large gathering of people now help ease the lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Idbatterim wrote: »
    they are all one and the same voice here anyway. But MM probably saw the FG surge in support with the lock it all down mentality and is just continuing on from there...

there is zero difference here between the previous government and this one, on how this is and was being handled...

Perhaps that is because they are acting on the best advice available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Richard Boyd Barrett, Paul Murphy and their PBF pals are really showing their true colours now - career 'politicians' like the rest and that includes SF.
    They used the water protests to make a name for themselves and have done nothing since, like I said no different from the rest of them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement