Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Me too. And I think the very fact that we, the great people of boards.ie talk about that now just shows how bad things got.

As I said before, school pupils dont go to pubs and pub drinkers dont go to school...... Keeping pubs shut with the excuse of "lets focus on schools" is idiotic beyond belief.

It's about limiting the interaction between people. If you open both, you've two groups interacting with each other.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Hahaha this is hilarious! Are you sure you are reading the thread?

I, like many others, have reached out to my local TD's to try to resolve these issues.

It appears that you have not been reading the thread. Your TDs have no power to do anything. Our leaders are in hoc to their own personal ambition for post retirement self enrichment, higher positions within the EU and avoidance of blame in future tribunals. Therefore, they are blindly following the unelected fools and charlatans in nphet, who are accountable to no one.

You need to wise up to what’s going on and find an alternative method of protecting your freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

That awkward moment if you are not sure if this is good news or not

Eamon Ryan believes pubs will reopen this year

The Leader of the Green Party believes pubs will reopen this year.

It comes after the Taoiseach said he could not guarantee they would be able to resume trading before the new year.

The reopening of pubs that do not serve food has been delayed again - until August 31 at the earliest.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40027460.html

Pathetic.

Vintners understand now that they will go out of business, this is 100%. Nobody is stupid enough to think that things will be "better" come 31 Aug. Expect protests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

snotboogie wrote: »
    Which economic reports?

Meanwhile Covid deaths passed 700k yesterday. 700,000 people dead since March. There are between 5 and 6 thousand Covid deaths a day, every day at the moment. At this rate there will be close to 750k dead by the end of next week. 1 million dead by the end of September. That is with unilateral global restrictions in place. Nowhere in the world has lifted all restrictions, nowhere in the world is living like they did in December 2019, yet over 700k people have still died.

How many people die each year globally?

yawhat? wrote: »
    It appears that you have not been reading the thread. Your TDs have no power to do anything. Our leaders are in hoc to their own personal ambition for post retirement self enrichment, higher positions within the EU and avoidance of blame in future tribunals. Therefore, they are blindly following the unelected fools and charlatans in nphet, who are accountable to no one.

You need to wise up to what’s going on and find an alternative method of protecting your freedoms.

Ok... this is just bizarre rambling now. Maybe seek some help.
    We are done here though.
    I'll let you have the last word if you want to reply with some more drivel.

• Advertisement

And the reasoning for not entering phase 4 from NPHET

"Significant clusters of new Covid-19 cases have been identified in direct provision centres, among the Traveller community and in meat factories, according to advice given to Government by public health officials.

The National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) highlighted the number of clusters in all three settings and among people in the Roma community and in homelessness services when warning against entering into Phase Four of the Government’s Roadmap for Reopening Society and Business."

Further down in the article,

"This included 21 outbreaks in Direct Provision Centres involving 235 individual cases – and 47 new cases centre in four clusters were identified in the last week.

Separately, there have been 10 coronavirus outbreaks among the Traveller Community which involved 89 people testing positive for Covid-19. In the past week, 21 new cases relating to two clusters have been linked to the Traveller community.

Health officials identified 51 workplace clusters of the virus with almost half (24) linked to meat processing plants around the country. There have been two outbreaks in meat factories in the last week involving 47 new cases."

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-nphet-highlights-clusters-in-direct-provision-centres-and-among-traveller-and-roma-communities-39425359.html?__twitter_impression=true

So all the non food pubs in Ireland are closed and only 200 people allowed in Croke Park because of this?

No he has decided to allign to the perpetually petrified. I really hope they find a placebo/vaccine for the paralysis caused by Covid phobia.

The stats are being ignored, I dont know why, Sweden allegedly has a high cost of life, despite the fact a citizen over 65 is just as safe in Sweden as in Ireland.

Regarding the closing of schools in March. I think that will have far reaching consequences. The foreign direct investment, which accounts for most of Irelands GDP, is drawn here by the tax rates and educated workforce. The global tax structure is changing so that leaves an educated workforce as an incentive. Unfortunately a lack of leadership has seen a generations education obliterated to oppease fear among an ill-informed nation.

The sooner some people remove the Covid sunglasses the better, because if they dont, Ireland will soon become the Romania of Western Europe, except with incessant rain

Missing three or four months of school doesn't equate to a generation having their education obliterated. You need to temper your hysterical language.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

That awkward moment if you are not sure if this is good news or not

Eamon Ryan believes pubs will reopen this year

The Leader of the Green Party believes pubs will reopen this year.

It comes after the Taoiseach said he could not guarantee they would be able to resume trading before the new year.

The reopening of pubs that do not serve food has been delayed again - until August 31 at the earliest.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40027460.html

Pathetic.

Vintners understand now that they will go out of business, this is 100%. Nobody is stupid enough to think that things will be "better" come 31 Aug. Expect protests.

They don't need sympathy from the government. They need money!

Penfailed wrote: »
    Missing three or four months of school doesn't equate to a generation having their education obliterated. You need to temper your hysterical language.

“Hysterical” is no longer an appropriate word to use in any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So all the non food pubs in Ireland are closed and only 200 people allowed in Croke Park because of this?

That is the NPHET advice not to move into phase 4 due to clusters in these settings. Community transmission stable despite Donnelly appearing to say otherwise on prime time last night.

https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1290945128148992000?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

polesheep wrote: »
    What you are saying is: I don't like the City, so no one else should either.

Not just me. The numbers currently going out in the city are low, while here is high

How many people die each year globally?

I'd say a lot.

5.4m died this year from hunger alone, and counting

https://www.theworldcounts.com/challenges/people-and-poverty/hunger-and-obesity/how-many-people-die-from-hunger-each-year

Except loads of pubs are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So when the pubs do open they will close at 10.30. Where is the sense in that, shouldn't we actually be looking at spreading the crowd and bringing in temporary 24 hour opening hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Except loads of pubs are open.

Take a walk through any average irish town at the moment.
    They are decimated not just pubs closed but loads of other general shops closed also.

rob316 wrote: »
    So when the pubs do open they will close at 10.30. Where is the sense in that, shouldn't we actually be looking at spreading the crowd and bringing in temporary 24 hour opening hours?

Its a bit like asking where is the sense in keeping 30,000 + pub staff at home for last 7 days and next 21 days because of 1 death with covid in last 7 days.

And ofcourse dont mention the empty hospitals and 150 + free ICU beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

gmisk wrote: »
    What areas of life and labour are closed or so heavily restricted to make them almost meaningless?
    So you mean pubs, clubs, what else?
    You do know even people that survive and/or have mild symptoms could have longer terms health implications? A lot of people who had had SARs and MERs have.
    Early studies look like covid-19 could cause really serious longer term issues.
    The below I admittedly a small sample size but it is peer reviewed.
    https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1290916583137738752?s=19
    There are others as well.

The nursing homes were a disaster there is no disagreement they were horrendously under-supported when they needed the most support.

Right now there are empty 'open-air' sports stadiums, empty theatres, musicians and actors on the PUP. A lot of people that you don't see working in your daily life are suffering from restrictions on their livelihood.

That article is, as you say, written on the basis of a very small size. There are often long-term effects for people who have been through ICU, for whatever reason. This is nothing new. The fact is the vast majority of people will have a mild rection to Covid 19 and there is no evidence to demonstrate any long term effects in these cases. None! And adding 'mild' to 'severe' in the same sentence does not mean that the two have the same outcome.

mikekerry wrote: »
    They are decimated not just pubs closed but loads of other general shops closed also.

I am not sure OP is serious. Probably went to some small town and saw 3 pubs serving food opened and now claims "loads of pubs are opened".

I saw 10 stores out of 35 permanently closed on 1st floor in St Green shopping centre 2 weeks ago. Nothing to do with pubs but does give a flavour of what actually is happening in the country.

Worst of all is that we have NPHET who give medical advice, and govt "follows" it. Do we have a minister for finance who gives advice about economy that govt could consider? no. We do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Not just me. The numbers currently going out in the city are low, while here is high

But you stated a whole lot of reasons for that other than Covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

rob316 wrote: »

Spoke to a barman in my local the other night (before last nights updates) and I asked what time they had to close at and he said so long as the kitchen is open they can stay open. The chef that evening was on till 23:30 but over the weekend the kitchen stays open till "around half one" he says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

snotboogie wrote: »
    Which economic reports?

Meanwhile Covid deaths passed 700k yesterday. 700,000 people dead since March. There are between 5 and 6 thousand Covid deaths a day, every day at the moment. At this rate there will be close to 750k dead by the end of next week. 1 million dead by the end of September. That is with unilateral global restrictions in place. Nowhere in the world has lifted all restrictions, nowhere in the world is living like they did in December 2019, yet over 700k people have still died.

Oh good heavens what nonsense.

What are we teaching our kid's?

People wont die if we stay at home petrified?

We will keep granny alive until she's 150 if we all eat twigs and berries while living in the attic

35 million people have died this year. The median age of Covid deaths in Ireland is over 82 I believe.

BTW Sweden has been living relatively normal, while keeping its vulnerable citizen's as safe as Ireland has.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Spoke to a barman in my local the other night (before last nights updates) and I asked what time they had to close at and he said so long as the kitchen is open they can stay open. The chef that evening was on till 23:30 but over the weekend the kitchen stays open till "around half one" he says.

While that is true.

Those with restaurant licences are covered by licensing laws. Now the question is if the government have updated the laws. If they haven't then again we're in a grey area about 11pm.

https://twitter.com/adriancummins/status/1290740435296690177?s=19

paw patrol wrote: »
    I have emailed all my TDs this morning- 3 of the 5 are in government parties. It's time everybody here did the same and encouraged their peers to do likewise.

Also I'll commit to attending any anti lockdown protest (regardless of organiser) cos it's that serious
    paw patrol wrote: »
    They can't just end the restrictions. They need to crank up and drag out the seriousness of Covid19.

Why?
    They need to justify the previous over-hype and absolute panic they created with the lock-downs that dragged into June and onward when there was no justification for continuing it. because that bill is still outstanding.

You may argue but 1700 died , it was serious...and they did die.

Which leads me to the second reason ...Much of that dead was in the nursing homes (62% of covid deaths was a stat I saw on newstalk) a congregation of highly vulnerable people that the HSE made an absolute bags of protecting.
    If they drop all the panic now and say back to normal- people will rightly ask questions on the nursing homes and the state is on the hook for that.

anyway I think we aren't run by fools but really sly individuals (as pointed out earlier are mostly career politicians) with little concept of life outside leinster house or the civil service.

You should open with this conspiracy theory

Oh good heavens what nonsense.

What are we teaching our kid's?

People wont die if we stay at home petrified?

We will keep granny alive until she's 150 if we all eat twigs and berries while living in the attic

35 million people have died this year. The median age of Covid deaths in Ireland is over 82 I believe.

BTW Sweden has been living relatively normal, while keeping its vulnerable citizen's as safe as Ireland has.

Deep underneath everything you write they are some hidden points. You manage to spectacularly miss them most of the time however. Current guidance in Sweden is not much different to here. They might place more emphasis on personal responsibility than rules but very similar in principal

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/#:~:text=As%20of%201%20April%202020,older%20under%20the%20right%20circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Deep underneath everything you write they are some hidden points. You manage to spectacularly miss them most of the time however. Current guidance in Sweden is not much different to here. They might place more emphasis on personal responsibility than rules but very similar in principal

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/#:~:text=As%20of%201%20April%202020,older%20under%20the%20right%20circumstances.

I have never in my life seen such twisting and turning.

Sweden has been accused of experimenting causing a high loss of life, and many posters have shed online tears highlighting the plight of the Swedes who were abondoned by their government.

You post is an example of what happens when people are spectacularly incorrect about something, so they most try and reallign their view's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

That is the NPHET advice not to move into phase 4 due to clusters in these settings. Community transmission stable despite Donnelly appearing to say otherwise on prime time last night.

https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1290945128148992000?s=19

Community transmission is at the same percentage rate, but as cases rise, its rising proportionally

Certain posters on this thread regularly post ill informed and inaccurate posts. If they are called out on it or challenged by their inaccuracies, rather than come back with a 'mea culpa' they simply ignore and move on to their next rant. Occasionally, they will address the error but do so by changing the subject or distract by bringing something else into the debate. It's quite interesting to read. I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Travellers, slaughterhouses and direct provision centres...arguably of little economic contribution and with slaughterhouses, vested commercial interests enabling poor labour practices, are the reason for cases increasing the past week and the reason why we are not moving to phase four. Meanwhile the Irish public are being told do mask up and do more. Such nonsense and this is shocking that we ave grotesque levels of incompetence at the level of our political class.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/nphet-calls-for-ban-on-non-essential-travel-from-countries-with-high-covid-19-rates-1.4322542
    The NPHET said that 47 new cases and four new clusters were notified in the last week in relation to direct provision centres. There were also ten Covid 19 outbreaks involving the Irish traveller community, involving 89 cases

Four outbreaks open in meat processing plants have also been associated with 94 cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Penfailed wrote: »
    Certain posters on this thread regularly post ill informed and inaccurate posts. If they are called out on it or challenged by their inaccuracies, rather than come back with a 'mea culpa' they simply ignore and move on to their next rant. Occasionally, they will address the error but do so by changing the subject or distract by bringing something else into the debate. It's quite interesting to read. I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice this.

Whataboutery. Literally doing the thing you purport to complain about.

• Advertisement

mikekerry wrote: »

I drove through dublin city and D14 last night and loads open.

Was in a small town at the weekend and loads open

As far I can see for Dublin and the small town we were in, there is nothing stopping anyone from having a pint.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement