Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Travellers, slaughterhouses and direct provision centres...arguably of little economic contribution and with slaughterhouses, vested commercial interests enabling poor labour practices, are the reason for cases increasing the past week and the reason why we are not moving to phase four. Meanwhile the Irish public are being told do mask up and do more. Such nonsense and this is shocking that we ave grotesque levels of incompetence at the level of our political class.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/nphet-calls-for-ban-on-non-essential-travel-from-countries-with-high-covid-19-rates-1.4322542

Are travellers, people working in slaughterhouses and people in direct provision centres “different” to the rest of us, so the cases amongst them shouldn’t count as much? Your mask is slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penfailed wrote: »
    Certain posters on this thread regularly post ill informed and inaccurate posts. If they are called out on it or challenged by their inaccuracies, rather than come back with a 'mea culpa' they simply ignore and move on to their next rant. Occasionally, they will address the error but do so by changing the subject or distract by bringing something else into the debate. It's quite interesting to read. I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice this.

Your right I've seen it loads.

Sickens me to be honsest, the obvious lack of empathy towards Irelands children

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Off topic but does anyone know how to view the most thanked posts of the day in touch.boards.ie?? M.boards.ie is no longer working - even thou I prefer that layout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

yawhat? wrote: »
    Are travellers, people working in slaughterhouses and people in direct provision centres “different” to the rest of us, so the cases amongst them shouldn’t count as much? Your mask is slipping.

These are particular settings, somewhat isolated from the rest of society (slaughterhouses use cheap, migrant labour), the whole economy suffering based on fears around these settings is illogical.

Certain posters on this thread regularly post ill informed and inaccurate posts. If they are called out on it or challenged by their inaccuracies, rather than come back with a 'mea culpa' they simply ignore and move on to their next rant. Occasionally, they will address the error but do so by changing the subject or distract by bringing something else into the debate. It's quite interesting to read. I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice this.

Lots of posters come to this thread and can't ever seem to post a point of view.
    Just the usual one or two liner rebuttal to anything posted.

We've had non food pubs closed for 6 months now. Not a single case seems to have stemmed from one of the pubs currently open. That is rather curious...

All the cases in the meat plants have resulted in 0 deaths.
    In fact, deaths have dropped off completely since the nursing home clusters were sorted.

People need to come back to reality. But we won't. Pubs will stay closed. Schools will open. A few kids will test positive and the whole thing will fall apart.

The economy collapsing is probably the only thing that will force them all to see sense again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Whataboutery. Literally doing the thing you purport to complain about.

Nope. I have actually admitted when I've been wrong a number of times over the thread.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Off topic but does anyone know how to view the most thanked posts of the day in touch.boards.ie?? M.boards.ie is no longer working - even thou I prefer that layout

Usually its some finger wagging nonsense directed at someone who has queried the validity of the restrictions

Your right I've seen it loads.

Sickens me to be honsest, the obvious lack of empathy towards Irelands children

I have school age children. They'll be grand.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

These are particular settings, somewhat isolated from the rest of society (slaughterhouses use cheap, migrant labour), the whole economy suffering based on fears around these settings is illogical.

In what way are they “somewhat isolated from the rest of society”?

In what way are they “somewhat isolated from the rest of society”?

DP centres and travellers have unemployment rates of 80%+.

With slaughterhouses, these workers are given poor labour practices where no social distancing was required throughout the crisis and the workers are poor, migrant workers; they are in a bit of a bubble as a result of the poor work practices in the toxic animal agriculture industry. The reason there are outbreaks in slaughterhouses is because the government has chosen to ignore them - they have determined it is worth letting these workers risk infection by not closing them!

• Advertisement

I have school age children. They'll be grand.

This attitude baffles me.

Of course they’ll be grand health wise. Covid only really impacts people over 65 in poor health.

What about the billions of debt we are putting on the country though?

Again, perhaps YOUR kids will be ok. But lots of kids will suffer from that for years to come. In all kinds of ways.

Probably best to leave behind the best environment possible for our kids? Even if it means some people will have to die of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

does anyone know what happens if someone has covid and doesn't self isolate for 14 days? is there a fine or anything because there needs to be. if a traveller gets it do you think they will self isolate? will they fcuk.

DP centres and travellers have unemployment rates of 80%+.

With slaughterhouses, these workers are given poor labour practices where no social distancing was required throughout the crisis and the workers are poor, migrant workers; they are in a bit of a bubble as a result of the poor work practices in the toxic animal agriculture industry. The reason there are outbreaks in slaughterhouses is because the government has chosen to ignore them - they have determined it is worth letting these workers risk infection by not closing them!

So is it their unemployed status that “somewhat isolates them from the rest of society”?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yet again, another inaccurate post. Pubs without food are still closed in Northern Ireland.

Are you required to order £9 worth of food in the north?
    Are there limits on the time you can stay?

This attitude baffles me.

Of course they’ll be grand health wise. Covid only really impacts people over 65 in poor health.

What about the billions of debt we are putting on the country though?

Again, perhaps YOUR kids will be ok. But lots of kids will suffer from that for years to come. In all kinds of ways.

Probably best to leave behind the best environment possible for our kids? Even if it means some people will have to die of Covid.

Fintan was referring to the generation that has had their education obliterated. My children fall into that category. Their education isn't obliterated. Or maybe he was referring to the economy...it's hard to tell with his rather vague post.

Are you required to order £9 worth of food in the north?
    Are there limits on the time you can stay?

I don't know. It doesn't change the fact that pubs in the north are closed which flies in the face of G'n'L's CAPITALISED rant.

So is it their unemployed status that “somewhat isolates them from the rest of society”?

Economically, yes and this is a covid restrictions (including restrictions on economic activity) thread. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I don't know. It doesn't change the fact that pubs in the north are closed which flies in the face of G'n'L's CAPITALISED rant.

You dont need to spend money on food, The pub just needs to be selling food.

Newry packed all weekend with people from Dundalk in the pubs.

Economically, yes and this is a covid restrictions (including restrictions on economic activity) thread. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

No it’s a relaxation of restrictions thread. It’s not confined to economic activity.

You dont need to spend money on food, The pub just needs to be selling food.

Newry packed all weekend with people from Dundalk in the pubs.

Thanks for the clarification. 'Wet' pubs are still closed in the north.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Thanks for the clarification. 'Wet' pubs are still closed in the north.

No they are opened like plenty here, Pizza Oven behind the bar job sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

You don’t have to serve food to customers.
    There are no time limits.

You only have to be a pub with the ability to serve food and implement table service.

Pubs with outdoor seating already are serving drinks only. When they can’t serve food they just don’t open indoor seating.

Wet pubs with only indoor seating are expected to be open up north next week too btw.

You are correct, it’s not a difficult concept to grasp. Racist concepts rarely are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

You are correct, it’s not a difficult concept to grasp. Racist concepts rarely are.

Some cohorts in society tend to stick together and not mix much with the rest of society. It's hardly racist to point out that significant fact.

No they are opened like plenty here, Pizza Oven behind the bar job sorted.

Not all by any means.

Are some posters on a witch hunt or something

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

I drove through dublin city and D14 last night and loads open.

Was in a small town at the weekend and loads open

As far I can see for Dublin and the small town we were in, there is nothing stopping anyone from having a pint.

If you haven't noticed large closures in small towns then you must be going through with your eyes closed.

Are some posters on a witch hunt or something

Just fact checking. You should try it sometime.

A poster can't come on and make spurious claims thinking that they'll get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

The rate of unemployment in Ireland fell to 16.7% last month, according to new figures released by the Central Statistics office (CSO) today.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40027559.html

30,000 pub staff are only ones along with some gig economy workers not allowed to operate currently.

16.7%.

16.7%. That is shocking.

The Covid-19 adjusted measure of unemployment also indicated a rate of 41.2% for those aged between 15 and 24 years, and 13.7% for those aged between 25 and 74 years.

We are worried about schools? Do we have jobs for leaving cert students who dont go to college? :mad: Do we have jobs for graduates from college? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You don’t have to serve food to customers.
    There are no time limits.

You only have to be a pub with the ability to serve food and implement table service.

Pubs with outdoor seating already are serving drinks only. When they can’t serve food they just don’t open indoor seating.

Wet pubs with only indoor seating are expected to be open up north next week too btw.

Doesn't change the fact that many pubs are still closed due to restrictions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement