Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Madeoface

I think they'll have to open the pubs otherwise people will turn around and say how can we keep the pubs closed and open the schools?

I know they're 2 completely different scenarios but you would think pubs would be at a lower risk of spreading covid than schools with all the restrictions in place so I'm assuming that they'll open the pubs but I could be wrong.

I decided I'd walk up to my local and grab a lovely pint of the creamy stuff while the sun shone and grab a plate of chips n nuggets for the kids - let them have a cola; preferably at a table outside.

It was 5pm on the bank holiday. Suburbs of Dublin. All the tables outside were taken - fine. The vast majority of them had smoking patrons (fine too - as an ex smoker) so we would have to eat inside. Personal responsibility wise I was a little concerned about that if it was too busy.

As I got closer quite a number appeared to have been drinking extensively and were in high spirits... inhibitions gone. Lots of hugs and close chat / shouting between the tables etc. Happy to be out and about. Fair play, but how could these people have got so plastered within 105 minutes...

As I would have had to enter / exit through further groups of smokers at both exits; some of whom were coughing (from smoking one would hope) I decided it just wasn't worth the risk for me and the kids. What if I got a glass that wasn't cleaned properly after the coughing fellah had drank out of it?

Still waiting on my first pint since lockdown I retreated back home, defeated.

I'm no expert on community transmission but the plastered adults I witnessed (seasoned drinkers, by and large smokers and either overweight or underweight and - ahem - not from the professional classes) sure looked like a far riskier cohort than primary school kids.

Its all about personal responsibility - if people go out and get tanked as normal and conduct themselves as normal the shut-down will be worse. I'd love a few pints but if this is how some pubs are operating right now I'll stick to me cans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Madeoface wrote: »
    I decided I'd walk up to my local and grab a lovely pint of the creamy stuff while the sun shone and grab a plate of chips n nuggets for the kids - let them have a cola; preferably at a table outside.

It was 5pm on the bank holiday. Suburbs of Dublin. All the tables outside were taken - fine. The vast majority of them had smoking patrons (fine too - as an ex smoker) so we would have to eat inside. Personal responsibility wise I was a little concerned about that if it was too busy.

As I got closer quite a number appeared to have been drinking extensively and were in high spirits... inhibitions gone. Lots of hugs and close chat / shouting between the tables etc. Happy to be out and about. Fair play, but how could these people have got so plastered within 105 minutes...

As I would have had to enter / exit through further groups of smokers at both exits; some of whom were coughing (from smoking one would hope) I decided it just wasn't worth the risk for me and the kids. What if I got a glass that wasn't cleaned properly after the coughing fellah had drank out of it?

Still waiting on my first pint since lockdown I retreated back home, defeated.

I'm no expert on community transmission but the plastered adults I witnessed (seasoned drinkers, by and large smokers and either overweight or underweight and - ahem - not from the professional classes) sure looked like a far riskier cohort than primary school kids.

Its all about personal responsibility - if people go out and get tanked as normal and conduct themselves as normal the shut-down will be worse. I'd love a few pints but if this is how some pubs are operating right now I'll stick to me cans...

You're Paddygreen and I claim my fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

polesheep wrote: »
    Some cohorts in society tend to stick together and not mix much with the rest of society. It's hardly racist to point out that significant fact.

Did you read the OP. It stated that travellers and migrants are the reason for cases increasing and the reason why we are not moving to phase 4, and that this was nonsense.

We’ve had a couple of overly racist posts in quick succession, and yet the defenders to freedom and liberty for all have not batted an eyelid. They must be on a lunch break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

The rate of unemployment in Ireland fell to 16.7% last month, according to new figures released by the Central Statistics office (CSO) today.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40027559.html

30,000 pub staff are only ones along with some gig economy workers not allowed to operate currently.

16.7%.

16.7%. That is shocking.

The Covid-19 adjusted measure of unemployment also indicated a rate of 41.2% for those aged between 15 and 24 years, and 13.7% for those aged between 25 and 74 years.

We are worried about schools? Do we have jobs for leaving cert students who dont go to college? :mad: Do we have jobs for graduates from college? :rolleyes:

Oh boy

"As well as job creation, reskilling for those in badly hit sectors, such as travel and tourism, will be vital to help the workforce transition to new roles.

How did this lad get a word in? Will we re train pilots to flipping burgers in McDonalds will we? Dublin Airport staff to be retrained to sales assistants?

16.7% unemployment in July. Still shocked....

That article on Bank Of Ireland is proper terrifying! Hundreds of million off target since Covid.
    Looking to cut 1400 jobs!!!

I get the feeling 1400 people won’t volunteer.

And this just a few months into Covid.

How far can this go without collapsing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭vid36

20% of Covid 19 deaths in the USA are under 65 years of ago according to the CDC, but if believe the defenders of liberty there is no risk to the under 70s.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

yawhat? wrote: »
    Did you read the OP. It stated that travellers and migrants are the reason for cases increasing and the reason why we are not moving to phase 4, and that this was nonsense.

We’ve had a couple of overly racist posts in quick succession, and yet the defenders to freedom and liberty for all have not batted an eyelid. They must be on a lunch break.

So now the ones defending liberty are racist??

This is Covid mania is out of all control

That article on Bank Of Ireland is proper terrifying! Hundreds of million off target since Covid.
    Looking to cut 1400 jobs!!!

I get the feeling 1400 people won’t volunteer.

And this just a few months into Covid.

How far can this go without collapsing?

Its collapsing already. Bank of Ireland have very little to do with tourists, aviation etc. They do have loans provided to pubs and businesses though who are liquidating, hence the domino effect.

I'd say by October we'll be told "its safe" to go out shopping and drinking. Anything else and you are looking at 16% unemployment to 2021, 2022. At which stage it wont be protests we ll be discussing, but riots. Its a social experiment at this stage, take away peoples jobs for months, years, and see how they react to being gradually eased in to 203 euros per week down from 500-800 euros pre covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

And, as I said, these groups tend to stick closely together and not mix freely with the rest of society. A fact that should be taken into account when assessing the Covid19 risk and deciding on restrictions. Under no circumstances can that be construed as racist.

vid36 wrote: »
    20% of Covid 19 deaths in the USA are under 65 years of ago according to the CDC, but if believe the defenders of liberty those is no risk to the under 70s.

Would you have any information on comorbidities or mortality rate in that age group in the US in comparrison to Ireland or Europe? Its fairly relevant

I wouldn't imagine so, but I said I'd ask

• Advertisement

Would you have any information on comorbidities or mortality rate in that age group in the US in comparrison to Ireland or Europe? Its fairly relevant

I wouldn't imagine so, but I said I'd ask

Ah Fintan, dont bother. Just scroll down to below

"The findings in this report are subject to at least five limitations. First, despite >90% completeness for age and race/ethnicity variables in the supplementary data set, the proportion of missing data for some variables, such as underlying medical conditions, clinical course, and race/ethnicity in case-based surveillance, and location of death, was higher than that for other variables; accordingly, the proportions reported for these variables should be considered minimum proportions rather than robust estimates."

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Its collapsing already. Bank of Ireland have very little to do with tourists, aviation etc. They do have loans provided to pubs and businesses though who are liquidating, hence the domino effect.

I'd say by October we'll be told "its safe" to go out shopping and drinking. Anything else and you are looking at 16% unemployment to 2021, 2022. At which stage it wont be protests we ll be discussing, but riots. Its a social experiment at this stage, take away peoples jobs for months, years, and see how they react to being gradually eased in to 203 euros per week down from 500-800 euros pre covid.

A lot of crocodile tears shedding from the guy who doesn`t agree with supporting Irish hotels/B&Bs and who wanted to jet off on a foreign holiday jaunt instead. The height of hypocrisy from you.

A lot of crocodile tears shedding from the guy who doesn`t agree with supporting Irish hotels/B&Bs and who wanted to jet off on a foreign holiday jaunt instead. The height of hypocrisy from you.

What do you mean wanted? You think that because Gibraltar and SanMarino were removed from greenlist yesterday my holiday plans are in disarray?

I am going. Going to 2 destinations actually, and dont worry none of them are on the greenlist. 1 of them is close to a greenlist country though, does that count as "safer"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

How many people die each year globally?

About 55 million per year.

Going at its current rate of 5.5k deaths per day, Covid would kill over 2 million people per year. That is with every country in the world implementing some form of lockdown. Given that close to nobody died of Covid in Q1 of this year, we are looking at about 1.5million deaths in 2020, if the current rate stays the same (it is almost impossible to project more than a month of so out).

If we were allowed to achieve herd immunity and Covid was allowed to run wild, assuming a CFR of 0.5% and about 70% of the population need to be infected to achieve herd immunity, about 270 million people would die. Thats assuming also that hospitals don't get overrun and all of the 2% or so of people who get seriously ill from this can get treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

You are correct, it’s not a difficult concept to grasp. Racist concepts rarely are.

Ah so there is your agenda! With nothing to back you up you make a racist claim. I could feel your keyboard warrior instincts being suppressed the whole time, eager to throw out the word racist when I made a comment as to how it is inconsistent to use economically isolated groupings of cases as reasons to keep the whole economy shut down. Such a precious poster you are, Boards is lucky to have you!

What do you mean wanted? You think that because Gibraltar and SanMarino were removed from greenlist yesterday my holiday plans are in disarray?

I am going. Going to 2 destinations actually, and dont worry none of them are on the greenlist. 1 of them is close to a greenlist country though, does that count as "safer"?

Nothing to do with what I posted about your refusal to support Irish hotels/B&Bs but typical of your usual deflection tactics.
    BTW before you go on your foreign holiday jollies you do know you will have to wear a mask on the airplane there and back and will be expected to self isolate for 2 weeks when you come back as well.? Seeing as you have an issue with them as well.

snotboogie wrote: »

Going at its current rate of 5.5k deaths per day, Covid would kill over 2 million people per year. That is with every country in the world implementing some form of lockdown. Given that close to nobody died of Covid in Q1 of this year, we are looking at about 1.5million deaths in 2020, if the current rate stays the same (it is almost impossible to project more than a month of so out).

If we were allowed to achieve herd immunity and Covid was allowed to run wild, assuming a CFR of 0.5% and about 70% of the population need to be infected to achieve herd immunity, about 270 million people would die. Thats assuming also that hospitals don't get overrun and all of the 2% or so of people who get seriously ill from this can get treatment.

With the exception of the 1st piece about global daily death rate at 55m the rest is projections and wildly innacurate ones at that

How many die in Europe per day with covid?

You are genuinely thinking about this in an incorrect way.

There are over 5 million hunger deaths in 2020 so far, yet we can all agree that there is 1 continent that accounts for 90% of that.

Now Covid seems to be rampant in countries that do not care about it (Brazil, US, India) and you are talking about those countries and those statistics on a forum of a country that is in EU and is thousands kilometres away from the mentioned destinations. Those 3 destinations have 2 billion people between them btw. 25% of worlds population.

Reality is, when we count up our total deaths for 2020, they arent going to be 57m (55 + 2 m from your covid prediction). And then eye brows will be raised... and that's when even most disillusional people will understand the difference between death from covid and death with covid.

Hahahahaha! Nobody died of Covid in Q1.
    Guess life doesn’t exist outside of Europe.
    Hell, Covid was officially in Europe in Feb.
    Ireland even had deaths in Q1.

Even if 1.5m a year do die, that is still a tiny figure.
    Something like 1.3m die on the roads.

Over 3m die of hunger. Think we can make peace with some Covid deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Missing a decimal

27 million would die if it was left run wild

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with what I posted about your refusal to support Irish hotels/B&Bs but typical of your usual deflection tactics.
    BTW before you go on your foreign holiday jollies you do know you will have to wear a mask on the airplane there and back? Seeing as you have an issue with them as well.

Ohhhh you havent had coffee today.

You dont have to wear a mask if you eat on the plane...... Congrats. You've learned things today. You are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

vid36 wrote: »
    20% of Covid 19 deaths in the USA are under 65 years of ago according to the CDC, but if believe the defenders of liberty there is no risk to the under 70s.

How many of them were giant obese monsters?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Are you going to mask up on the flight? You could hardly handle it when getting your hair cut.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Ohhhh you havent had coffee today.

You dont have to wear a mask if you eat on the plane...... Congrats. You've learned things today. You are welcome.

Well unless you intend stuffing your face for the duration of the entire flights there and back then yes you will have to. Oh and BTW I learned all I need to about you and your "game playing" several months ago.

Well unless you intend stuffing your face for the duration of the entire flights there and back then yes you will have to. Oh and BTW I learned all I need to about you and your "game playing" several months ago.

Do you really think Ryanair stewards walk around and hurry people to finish eating? Pack of crisps for 1.5 hour flight sounds reasonable. Maybe a coke too.

John, smart people always find a way. Remember that.

You keep posting these really bizarre things...

I recommend that you try to make an actual point once in awhile.

Or is your goal to try and derail the thread maybe?

Just ignore him. I've ignored Penfailed months ago, best decision I've ever made. I remember he thought Tyrone was in our country....... that was brilliant. Up there with the HSE contractor who reported 300% increase in daily cases in "his hospital". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

How many of them were giant obese monsters?

Did you really just call fellow humans monsters

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Oh boy

"As well as job creation, reskilling for those in badly hit sectors, such as travel and tourism, will be vital to help the workforce transition to new roles.

How did this lad get a word in? Will we re train pilots to flipping burgers in McDonalds will we? Dublin Airport staff to be retrained to sales assistants?

16.7% unemployment in July. Still shocked....

And another 40% on Wage Subsidy Scheme. I wonder what the unemployment rate is going to be when the scheme is ended.

• Advertisement

Don`t try and feign ignorance about what my point was. I called out G&S for his refusal to stay at home and support Irish hotels/B&Bs while constantly ranting for the last 3 months about the authorities not opening up the economy quickly enough. While I`m at it as someone who is constantly banging the same drum yourself do you support his actions doing that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement