Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm not doubting you but where is this restaurant taking last orders at 10pm?, if there is I stand corrected. I fully understand the serious implications of lost capacity, it's a serious problem, every seat counts, I'm just sick to teeth of representative bodies constantly moaning with rarely a consideration for the people who work in their industry and indeed those who frequent it. There's a painful reality that will have to be accepted, it's a new world and as painful as it is, these businesses will need to adapt or sink.

If this is the new world, well then we are all going to sink in the coming months.
    That is why people are constantly “moaning” as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If this is the new world, well then we are all going to sink in the coming months.
    That is why people are constantly “moaning” as you put it.

Sad it is I'm afraid

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

lukas8888 wrote: »
    I know you have a low opinion of the IQ of the majority of posters here,but did you really feel the need to tell us it is a fake tweet.

If I didn't feel the need, I wouldn't have done it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Another day of 0 deaths and still huge parts of the economy remain closed or restrictions massively impacting on profits.

How long is this sustainable for is now the question?

And I actually just heard RTÉ making out that BOI are mean for cutting 1400 jobs during a pandemic. They are losing hundreds of millions this year.

50 new cases though, Aberdeen just locked down over 54 new cases I believe and to scotlands credit they've reported no deaths for a while now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

50 new cases though, Aberdeen just locked down over 54 new cases I believe and to scotlands credit they've reported no debts for a while now
    Don't worry, we'll have loads of debts in a few months time. Massive numbers. We'll be reminded of them every week/month on our payslips.

All because of a killer virus that has claimed one life in 8 whole days.

• Advertisement

Lundstram wrote: »
    Don't worry, we'll have loads of debts in a few months time. Massive numbers. We'll be reminded of them every week/month on our payslips.

Corrected my typo, yes for those who will actually get payslips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Penfailed wrote: »
    Fake.

thank you, I didn't know.

tenor.gif?itemid=9900289

50 new cases though, Aberdeen just locked down over 54 new cases I believe and to scotlands credit they've reported no deaths for a while now

For all that I'd like more pubs to open, if I ran a small business and I was closed because of a COVID cluster linked to a bar, like has just happened in Aberdeen, I would be absolutely raging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Another day of 0 deaths and still huge parts of the economy remain closed or restrictions massively impacting on profits.

And I actually just heard RTÉ making out that BOI are mean for cutting 1400 jobs during a pandemic. They are losing hundreds of millions this year.
    Are the deaths that are occurring at this stage directly due to covid? My understanding is if someone who was infected at an earlier date now dies that their death might still be counted on the news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Over 9,000 deaths each year in this country due to cancer. As it stands, since March, it is estimated that roughly 500 cases have gone undiagnosed with a further 1500 pre-cancerous cases also missed. Bear in mind that these numbers are an estimate from March to mid July so they most probably have risen. They will, no doubt, continue to rise until the issue is addressed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/some-450-cancers-missed-due-to-pause-in-screenings-covid-19-committee-told-1.4306989%3fmode=amp

https://www.thejournal.ie/cancer-backlog-5152711-Jul2020/

Everyday I see people here and elsewhere at each other's throats regarding masks and social distancing. Yet rarely have I seen people question the inadequacies in our health system or criticise the complete and utter shambles our government have made with regards to their covid policies. People would rather engage in divisive bloody nonsense than demand responsibility be taken by their elected representatives. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Galadriel wrote: »
    My local cinema are saying after the government announcement last night that masks are mandatory throughout the entire movie.

Apparently HSE radio ads today mentioned it.

Lol. I can see that bull**** being enforced ... NOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Lol. I can see that bull**** being enforced ... NOT!

It will be very interesting to see if they still serve food and drink :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

It's not.

Unfortunately the government don't have the backbone to balance the advice from NPHET.

Doctors aren't businessmen / accountants.

Yes we need to look after public health ... but not to the exclusion of everything else.

I'd love to think a vaccine was on it's way quickly... but let's be realistic. What virus / disease has come to exist, and be cured within a year?

There are thousands and thousands of jobs on the line here needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

It's about limiting the interaction between people. If you open both, you've two groups interacting with each other.

You're not wrong there. Lest we start to talk & call them on their BS.

Diabhalta wrote: »
    thank you, I didn't know.

tenor.gif?itemid=9900289

:lol:

To be perfectly honest, I thought the fella that shared it did think it was real...my bad! :D

(Not sure if there's enough emojis in there to keep G 'n' L happy?)

EDIT - I can't figure out how to do the LOL emoji. I'm not very good at this...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Once we have no covid deaths and can provide free 4eva homes... does anything else actually matter ?

Just cos you have a house doesn't make you safe. Apparently they can bulldoze that too if it becomes infected with Covid. In the UK anyway but sure, we'll follow suit no doubt. And here was me thinking only humans could catch Covid.:)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/08/04/councilscan-demolish-contaminated-buildings-new-powers-stop/

Are the deaths that are occurring at this stage directly due to covid? My understanding is if someone who was infected at an earlier date now dies that their death might still be counted on the news

This is most definitely true from what I've seen. Sky News recently confirmed that someone who may have recovered from Covid some months ago but got hit by a bus yesterday & died will be included in Covid death figures as they'd test positive for Covid antibodies. You wouldn't be long making up the required numbers using this method. On this basis I would take absolutely no notice of any number I hear going forward, completely meaningless.

Anyway, regarding the current situation around the corolli virus:

I think it's time to go on holidays away from all this craziness. Unbelievable amount of articles being produced by media on daily basis... everywhere you go signs, go here, do this, don't do this.. very toxic environment and not really healthy. A lot of visual smog in the shops etc.

Well deserved break. Proper summer, lots of beers, lots of good food. See ya in September! (((:

FB-IMG-1596625795284.jpg

skelly22 wrote: »
    This is most definitely true from what I've seen. Sky News recently confirmed that someone who may have recovered from Covid some months ago but got hit by a bus yesterday & died will be included in Covid death figures as they'd test positive for Covid antibodies. You wouldn't be long making up the required numbers using this method. On this basis I would take absolutely no notice of any number I hear going forward, completely meaningless.

They may have been a bit slower due to the lingering effects of COVID therefore misjudged how much time it would take to cross the road and consequently got hit by the bus :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Over 9,000 deaths each year in this country due to cancer. As it stands, since March, it is estimated that roughly 500 cases have gone undiagnosed with a further 1500 pre-cancerous cases also missed. Bear in mind that these numbers are an estimate from March to mid July so they most probably have risen. They will, no doubt, continue to rise until the issue is addressed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/some-450-cancers-missed-due-to-pause-in-screenings-covid-19-committee-told-1.4306989%3fmode=amp

https://www.thejournal.ie/cancer-backlog-5152711-Jul2020/

Everyday I see people here and elsewhere at each other's throats regarding masks and social distancing. Yet rarely have I seen people question the inadequacies in our health system or criticise the complete and utter shambles our government have made with regards to their covid policies. People would rather engage in divisive bloody nonsense than demand responsibility be taken by their elected representatives. Ridiculous.

Remember, our health service is one of the lowest ranked in Europe. The same people who criticised the trolley crisis and complain about the HSE now seem to think those at the top level with obvious links to NPHET are infallible. It is remarkable how easily lead the Irish public are. They also don't give themselves enough credit, the reason the virus was suppressed within weeks of lockdown was because everyone followed the bloody rules, not because of any government or NPHET action. In fact, at the same time, the nursing and care home crisis was being created by NPHET!

• Advertisement

Anyway, regarding the current situation around the corolli virus:

I think it's time to go on holidays away from all this craziness.

Just curious...where in the world will you go to get away from Covid (worldwide pandemic) craziness?

Just curious...where in the world will you go to get away from Covid (worldwide pandemic) craziness?

somewhere where they went back to normal (no, current situation in Ireland is far from normal). No masks, live music, everything open like before, swimming pools with sauna etc.. a place with no more silly restrictions and generally a society that is relaxed. A place with different mindset.

those places exist, you have to look for them... and when you find them... just go there for few weeks. I would go crazy if I wouldn't go, this place is nuts!

lol

FB-IMG-1596627352056.jpg

somewhere where they went back to normal (no, current situation in Ireland is far from normal). No masks, live music, everything open like before, swimming pools with sauna etc.. a place with no more silly restrictions and generally a society that is relaxed. A place with different mindset.

those places exist, you have to look for them...

I wish you well in your search. I don't hold out much hope for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

those places exist, you have to look for them... and when you find them... just go there for few weeks. I would go crazy if I wouldn't go, this place is nuts!

Pretty much anywhere in Europe then. Plus they’re calm about it. Society here whips itself into a frenzy over the littlest thing. Our anxiety levels must surely rank among the highest in Europe, including recently war torn nations like Bosnia.

Text from a friend in Germany today casually saying things are more or less back to normal. We seem determined to march the other way, off that cliff. The exchequer figures today are horrendous again- that can’t go on guys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I wish you well in your search. I don't hold out much hope for you though.
    You're wrong. I spoke with someone today just back from a Mediterranean destination,
    No ridiculous social distancing at beach, bars and restaurants and overall a relaxed atmosphere.
    Enjoy your holliers Diabhalta, I envy you getting out of this dysfunctional dump!

You're wrong. I spoke with someone today just back from a Mediterranean destination,
    No ridiculous social distancing at beach, bars and restaurants and overall a relaxed atmosphere.
    Enjoy your holliers Diabhalta, I envy you getting out of this dysfunctional dump!

Yeah but masks are widespread and have to be worn in many public places in the likes of Spain.

road_high wrote: »
    Pretty much anywhere in Europe then. Plus they’re calm about it. Society here whips itself into a frenzy over the littlest thing. Our anxiety levels must surely rank among the highest in Europe, including recently war torn nations like Bosnia.

Text from a friend in Germany today casually saying things are more or less back to normal. We seem determined to march the other way, off that cliff. The exchequer figures today are horrendous again- that can’t go on guys

The exchequer figures are necessary. If anyone thinks anywhere will be getting out of this with anything other than massive deficits they are deluded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The exchequer figures are necessary. If anyone thinks anywhere will be getting out of this with anything other than massive deficits they are deluded

I understand this point but at the same time the deficits are the result of restrictions and not the virus itself. I mean, if you think about it, what stopped the economy and created the deficit, not the virus but the reaction to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The deluded ones are the ones that believe we can keep borrowing at this rate and not see massive cuts to welfare and public services.
    Massive deficits aren’t just something that happen without a price or consequence to be paid.
    The next moves we will see are the government softening the ground for these. Even at the height of the crisis in 09/10 the deficits pro rata weren’t anywhere near as bad as the past 3 months. July is worrying as that’s a full month where we had “reopened”- and still €7 billion plus in the red. 12 months of those figures and we are truly fcuked - and there’s nothing to suggest any improvement soon. We are literally burning through cash at a rate of knots. With effected business (rightly) all screaming for cash supports

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement