Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Donnelly on R1 just now complaining about people on social media spreading fear.

Then goes on to talk about "Long Covid"

Irony is not in his vocabulary I guess

Doomers still hang on the government's every word as they lack a critical thinking ability. It's just pathetic that so many people still think covid is a serious virus for anyone but a tiny sect of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭Penfailed

PJ good morning :)

Good to see you drop in.

I dont think that people not being in favour of gardai stopping them and asking them where they are going constitutes being anti-gardai.

I hope you are less confused now

I think the quote was, "Tell them to F off." That sounds anti-gardai to me. What's wrong with being civil?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Penfailed wrote: »
    I think the quote was, "Tell them to F off." That sounds anti-gardai to me. What's wrong with being civil?

If a shop assistant was stopping you from going into a supermarket and asking you, what aisles will you be using? What items are you buying today? You’d tell them to F off. Same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

If a shop assistant was stopping you from going into a supermarket and asking you, what aisles will you be using? What items are you buying today? You’d tell them to F off. Same thing.

Penfailed wouldnt.

Or well he would, but then subsequently post here "I told them I ll be buying toilet paper, and wished them good day" :D

I’d pay good money to see you tell a guard to f-off at a checkpoint, if and it’s a big if you actually would say it you would regret it soon after. You really are going into Gemma territory now, not a place anyone should find themselves.

Also you would need a car to be stopped at a check point and you don’t appear to have managed to achieve that yet so you really haven’t a clue what you are taking about when it come to a traffic stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

When does only visitors ( max 6 ) from one other home start ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I’d pay good money to see you tell a guard to f-off at a checkpoint, if and it’s a big if you actually would say it you would regret it soon after. You really are going into Gemma territory now, not a place anyone should find themselves.

Also you would need a car to be stopped at a check point and you don’t appear to have managed to achieve that yet so you really haven’t a clue what you are taking about when it come to a traffic stop.

When did you unlock your 'car achievement' trophy anyway?

I've told Gardai to f off previously and on more than one occasion, back in my youth, while drunk, belligerent and immature. Unsurprisingly nothing happened. You've probably seen a Twitter video though. Or did your local sergeant, who lets drink drivers off with a warning tell you a story about what happens??

I've told Gardai to f off previously and on more than one occasion, back in my youth, while drunk, belligerent and immature. Unsurprisingly nothing happened. You've probably seen a Twitter video though.

Last person I saw refuse give his name to a guard was a friend a few years ago (we were all drunk), told him to f-off (or similar) and turn to walk away. Ended up pinned to the ground by two guards, put in a paddy wagon and spent a night in the cell. Left out the next morning with no charge as it was just to teach him a lesson.

I know your stories aren’t true but to think the way you do is enough to know what type of individual you are. Regardless of wrongdoing or not no one should be telling guards, shop workers etc to f-off. I’d say you would sh1t your pants if a guard even looked at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Last person I saw refuse give his name to a guard was a friend a few years ago (we were all drunk), told him to f-off (or similar) and turn to walk away. Ended up pinned to the ground by two guards, put in a paddy wagon and spent a night in the cell. Left out the next morning with no charge as it was just to teach him a lesson.

I know your stories aren’t true but to think the way you do is enough to know what type of individual you are. Regardless of wrongdoing or not no one should be telling guards, shop workers etc to f-off. I’d say you would sh1t your pants if a guard even looked at you.

Why would his story be untrue and yours true?

• Advertisement

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Why would his story be untrue and yours true?

Because people who would regularly act as he claims towards guards would get pulled up on it sooner or later and most likely get arrested at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭JRant

LuasSimon wrote: »
    When does only visitors ( max 6 ) from one other home start ?

It hasn't been approved by cabinet yet and even when it is there are no laws against you having more more than 6. It's all only advisory (se today's high court ruling for confirmation)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Your local gardai are quite the maverick cops.

Drink driving is absolutely fine but being rude to a guard is met with police brutality

Sounds like detective Harry Callahan is leading the local force

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Completely different thing. Also, I was brought up...not dragged up ;)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Who said anything about not giving your name? You are obliged to give the guards your name and address.

Because people who would regularly act as he claims towards guards would get pulled up on it sooner or later and most likely get arrested at the very least.

I've never been arrested in my life. I have been previously asked to the station to help with inquiries, which I have turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Lockdown for madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

JRant wrote: »
    It hasn't been approved by cabinet yet and even when it is there are no laws against you having more more than 6. It's all only advisory (se today's high court ruling for confirmation)

Just had a read of the judgement (admittedly not all of it). As expected, the state won the case but its put them in a corner now... their argument that it’s all only advisory won but how will this play out with other restrictions??

RTE will no doubt broadcast that the travel restrictions are lawful and the state was right, but make no mention of it being merely advice and no more

Judgment is here: https://www.courts.ie/viewer/pdf/4c363613-d8d4-4813-91ff-ea95c099d390/2020_IEHC_461.pdf/pdf#view=fitH

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Drink driving is absolutely fine but being rude to a guard is met with police brutality

Considering how culchie nox is, the gardai was probably your man's cousin/granda

The clues are in the terms "Paddy wagon" and "night in the cell". I seriously think you'd sh!t yourself if a GIRL looked sat you, never mind a guard!
    c'mon, you're having us on all with this craic?? you cannot be a real person..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-loses-high-court-action-over-ireland-s-travel-advice-1.4370292?mode=amp

Ryan Air loses its claim against the travel restrictions being a breach of law as they only amounted to guidance.

I'd be sickened to be one of those that cancelled foreign holidays in August/September only to read this in the judgment:
    “The advice to avoid non-essential travel and to restrict movements on entry to the State is just that: advice,” Mr Justice Simons said. “The Government merely requests that persons entering the State from a country not on the “green list” restrict their movements for 14 days. As of August 2020, there had been no legal requirement to do so.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-loses-high-court-action-over-ireland-s-travel-advice-1.4370292?mode=amp

Ryan Air loses its claim against the travel restrictions being a breach of law as they only amounted to guidance.

I'd be sickened to be one of those that cancelled foreign holidays in August/September only to read this in the judgment:

Is this good or bad for them? I'm not sure they actually wanted to win....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I wonder if Ryanair were able to find a PS worker willing to take a case would they be able to trip the government up, now that it is confirmed that it was always meant to be nothing more than advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Is this good or bad for them? I'm not sure they actually wanted to win....

It’s more awkward for them. Basically caught with their pants down. Now they’ve to hope the public are still on board with them as they ramp up restrictions over the next while, legal, advice, or not.

People will have cancelled their holidays because of this. More fool them, imo, unfortunately. The official wording was actually always clear if you (as in anyone) bothered to read it properly and not get it from RTE.

Was in the city not local.

Was in the city not local.

I assume your friend asked for a copy of the gardas report for his solicitor and the ombudsman? Gardai aren't allowed assault citizens, no matter how much you want to give them that power.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

It's a partial "win" for Ryanair in that it has now been formally established that the travel advice is officially "advice only" whereas before it was a grey area for many.

Interesting to read that Aer Lingus, although not a party to the case, are "tagged on" so the headline really should be "Ryanair and Aer Lingus lose out in High Court ruling".

Interesting also to note that Ryanair's costs have been limited by the judge in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I assume your friend asked for a copy of the gardas report for his solicitor and the ombudsman? Gardai aren't allowed assault citizens, no matter how much you want to give them that power.

Good luck to him taking that route, it wouldn’t end well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Gardai are permitted to use force to effect an arrest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement