Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Witcher wrote: »
    Gardai are permitted to use force to effect an arrest.

If you believe noxs story (I don't) it was an assault, not an arrest, and there would still be paperwork.

I'm sure nox will be along soon to fill us in, he always seems to remember the details when his fantasies are called out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gardai are permitted to use force to effect an arrest.

Reasonable force and they are still required to write a report. As I said my son is in AGS. Even if he draws his ASP he has to write a report on why he drew it.
    You should attach a label of fantasy to the drivel posted by Nox.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Reasonable force and they are still required to write a report. As I said my son is in AGS. Even if he draws his ASP he has to write a report on why he drew it.
    You should attach a label of fantasy to the drivel posted by Nox.

There's no report for taking someone to the ground during an arrest or for drawing an ASP.

Use of spray or a strike with an ASP require a use of force report.

There's no report for taking someone to the ground during an arrest or for drawing an ASP.

Use of spray or a strike with an ASP require a use of force report.

I must tell my son that according to a randomer on the net he can use his asp without writing a report as to why. Thanks.

Witcher is right, this isn't the states thankfully. You can pull out the asp, tell someone to leave an area, and if they do, asp goes back and nothing goes any further.

Not a garda, just very familiar with them.... (in a good way)

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Witcher is right, this isn't the states thankfully. You can pull out the asp, tell someone to leave an area, and if they do, asp goes back and nothing goes any further.

Not a garda, just very familiar with them.... (in a good way)

Seems I have misinterpreted what my son was saying about use of the asp. Every day is a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/explainer-are-we-facing-a-twindemic-of-covid-19-and-flu-this-winter-39529492.html

Are we facing into a Twindemic this Winter with Covid and Flu? Time to keep worried and anxious - we're all in this together, even though we are clearly not and sections of society are now been flung under the bus to keep us all 'safe'.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/last-ditch-lockdown-gamble-as-gatherings-are-banned-39581152.html

Last ditch effort all, otherwise we 'lockdown' again while minimal hospitalisation and ICU admissions continue. This makes complete sense - Lockdown costs a huge amount of money and stability in our society, we should definitely keep pursuing this failed strategy for the Winter months until there's no economy left and people are queuing for food.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/its-good-to-see-him-back-holohan-expected-to-demand-strict-adherence-to-rules-on-his-return-39581064.html

Tony Holohan has superhero powers, he's going to swoop in and order us all to be good little girls and boys or else. Something Ronan Glynn wasn't able to do apparently - even though of the two, I'd listen to Glynn over Holohan who I suspect has Zero Covid/Vaccine/Disaster for Irish society & economy at the back of his mind.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/dundalk-to-face-arsenal-in-europa-league-group-stages-39581831.html

And finally, Dundalk are going to play Arsenal in a Europa League group game - what an occasion. That no-one will be able to attend under the current restrictions...

Happy Friday all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The restriction on one other household in your home cant be enforced can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Gael23 wrote: »

It's only a guideline, like washing your facemask at 60 degrees every night. You don't have to follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Gael23 wrote: »

No chance. It’s only advice again.

• Advertisement

People should be more concerned with following these guidelines and trying to stop the spread of this virus than worrying if they are enforceable and bragging about braking them.

The sooner people get that into their semi functioning brains the better.

People should be more concerned with following these guidelines and trying to stop the spread of this virus than worrying if they are enforceable and bragging about braking them.

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Ohhh Nox. Another classic.

You are like a smarter version of covid20. You've hanged around :)

A general comment about some people’s behaviour in general not directed at anyone here in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Seems I have misinterpreted what my son was saying about use of the asp. Every day is a school day.

He just wanted to stop you borrowing it :-) :-)

Noxonwood, we live in a Republic, it is peoples civic duty to know their rights and liberties. I have no idea why you've an issue with that.

They say that the camera doesn't lie. But it rarely tells the full story either. The amateur videographer who filmed the by- now infamous footage of crowds of young revellers at Spanish Arch in Galway captured a moment in time: a perfect tableau of youth, freedom and normality that set the stage for the rest of us, locked away in our houses with only Netflix, a bottle of hand sanitiser and a spiralling sense of self-righteousness for company, to spontaneously combust with rage.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/student-parties-are-not-reckless-as-long-as-they-dont-ask-granny-to-come-along-39581022.html

Does that in bold ring a bell? For a certain poster in this thread :)

In all seriousness, why do we persist on trying to "control" the youth? "control the virus? "control". "Cause for concern" "cases are rising"

This gotta stop. People should follow guidelines, that's it. Open up businesses, open up tourism, start economic recovery. We are miles behind EU countries, with little justification.

Even bloody Donald T got covid-19, I am 100.41% sure he will live.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well today I've switched to the plastic visors (local Dunnes has boxes of them as you walk in) rather than the masks (which were really uncomfortable and actively putting me off going anywhere as a result), and it's much better (although still far from ideal)

Starting to see more people with them around the place too rather than just shop staff, so my days of "masking up" are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They say that the camera doesn't lie. But it rarely tells the full story either. The amateur videographer who filmed the by- now infamous footage of crowds of young revellers at Spanish Arch in Galway captured a moment in time: a perfect tableau of youth, freedom and normality that set the stage for the rest of us, locked away in our houses with only Netflix, a bottle of hand sanitiser and a spiralling sense of self-righteousness for company, to spontaneously combust with rage.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/student-parties-are-not-reckless-as-long-as-they-dont-ask-granny-to-come-along-39581022.html

Does that in bold ring a bell? For a certain poster in this thread :)

In all seriousness, why do we persist on trying to "control" the youth? "control the virus? "control". "Cause for concern" "cases are rising"

This gotta stop. People should follow guidelines, that's it. Open up businesses, open up tourism, start economic recovery. We are miles behind EU countries, with little justification.

Even bloody Donald T got covid-19, I am 100.41% sure he will live.

It's far easier to whinge about "the youth of today" than to discuss why we don't have a proper functioning health service like they do in Scandinavia.

That would mean political leadership and meaningful debate as opposed to curtain twitching and soundbites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Probably the same poster. The Covid20 username allowed them to air their more extreme views

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

-5 death's today.

This ****ing virus is rising the dead

-5 death's today.

Nicely brings our average covid daily deaths to under 1 person from July onward.

Not that it matters but I’m seeing a denotification of 6 deaths.

And a denotification of 4 cases.

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

I wonder with the benefit of time and hindsight, could it ever be shown that if they actually used only guaranteed/confirmed death and case numbers when they first announce them, would their message or narrative about being very concerned and the next 10 days being critical change?

It was the same in the U.K. They decreased their deaths by 5,500. In about August this year, they changed how they counted deaths from being anyone who ever died with Covid to only those deaths that take place within 28 days of their first positive test.

As they say; Lies. Damn Lies. And statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

3xh wrote: »
    Not that it matters but I’m seeing a denotification of 6 deaths.

And a denotification of 4 cases.

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

I wonder with the benefit of time and hindsight, could it ever be shown that if they actually used only guaranteed/confirmed death and case numbers when they first announce them, would their message or narrative about being very concerned and the next 10 days being critical change?

It was the same in the U.K. They decreased their deaths by 5,500. In about August this year, they changed how they counted deaths from being anyone who ever died with Covid to only those deaths that take place within 28 days of their first positive test.

As they say; Lies. Damn Lies. And statistics.

They shouldn't be announcing Covid Related deaths until they're verified.
    They have no issue on occasion going back and announcing deaths from months ago so why the rush to announce new ones?

A general comment about some people’s behaviour in general not directed at anyone here in particular.

Freudian slip eh...A general.....a general...twice in one short sentence...oooh to be a General eh Nox....you could change your name to napoleon and then look the dullards in the eyes from your short shorts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

-5 death's today.

Been flat out on Twitter all day (my job is boring) and honestly this is the first I've heard of this. It's amazing.

Journos were more interested in the huge numbers coming from another country close to ours.

The sheep were lapping it up of course - "worrying" "ohhh no" "more restrictions needed". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Great to see so many cases with -5 deaths. It is bolstering the data that shows this is not harmful except for extremely old and (not "or") vulnerable.

Here's some reassuring data screenshot. In particular I would highlight worldometer and the 1m deaths it has logged as against 34m cases. That puts the headline figure at around 2/3%. Now, I saw in an article today that the WHO estimates that 750m of the population in the world have been infected with covid. I think it is widely acceptable that the actual recorded positive cases are way understated and deaths are more likely to be overstated. If not, let's just take these figures as they are, that gives a death rate of 0.13% from covid right now (and it is ever getting closer to 0). Even without a vaccine it is looking way less harmful than the flu!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-world-in-for-a-hell-of-a-ride-in-coming-months-dr-mike-ryan-says-1.4370626?mode=amp

I think Dublin and Kildare in particular are proof that lockdown doesn’t work.

Dublin locked down for 2 weeks now and cases still not close to dropping. Obviously pubs and restaurants weren’t really driving the numbers.

Kildare was locked down recently and still has over 10 - 20 cases per day.

The only way lockdown may help is if we go hard and close everything but essential business again. But that is unsustainable and cases will still just rise when we do reopen again.

At some point you would think we’ll have to let it rip through. We should have been doing everything we can to improve hospital capacity to allow this.

But Government/NPHET/HSE have done absolutely nothing on that front.

Sadly I predict we’ll end up back in national lockdown soon with a huge economic cost to add to an already huge bill.

Stand out figure today: -6 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think Dublin and Kildare in particular are proof that lockdown doesn’t work.

Dublin locked down for 2 weeks now and cases still not close to dropping. Obviously pubs and restaurants weren’t really driving the numbers.

Kildare was locked down recently and still has over 10 - 20 cases per day.

The only way lockdown may help is if we go hard and close everything but essential business again. But that is unsustainable and cases will still just rise when we do reopen again.

At some point you would think we’ll have to let it rip through. We should have been doing everything we can to improve hospital capacity to allow this.

But Government/NPHET/HSE have done absolutely nothing on that front.

Sadly I predict we’ll end up back in national lockdown soon with a huge economic cost to add to an already huge bill.

Stand out figure today: -6 deaths.
    Restrictions work if the vast majority of people adhere to them.
    That's not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

kippy wrote: »
    Restrictions work if the vast majority of people adhere to them.
    That's not rocket science.

Then they are scaled back and we see the inevitable rise again while people scream insanely about defeating the virus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement