Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭boetstark

It is extremely mild. Remember Leo Varadkar saying 250000 Irish could die? Maybe he meant if Covid is still here 100 or so years from now.

We don’t even have 2000 deaths. And that’s a figure that we have admitted is way overstated. And we all know that most deaths had extreme underlying issues.

Excess deaths for 2020 will likely show a few hundred deaths Max.

The most common symptom of Covid is perfect health or a few sniffles.

I’m not saying that to wind people up. It’s factual information. Backed up by all the data for anybody interested in looking. Most of the deaths are over 80 and in extremely poor health.

If stupidity and ignorance were commodities Ireland definitely would have a trade surplus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

They have feck all Covid in China, your arguments that zero Covid is impossible must not have been translated into Chinese.

Those Chinese lads are completely honest aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This will be my last response to you. There's no point in debating with someone who can only deal in soundbites

It's been repeatedly demonstrated to you (by me and others here) why "zero Covid" is not only unachievable and unrealistic, and it's clear that you have no idea as to how you'd implement that approach anyway as I've challenged you a few times on it (latest being only yesterday) and no response from you.

Once again, new case numbers are largely irrelevant vs the outcome of those cases - now being acknowledged publicly by O'Callaghan (who I doubt is going off without approval with his comments given the backlash over the mixed-messaging in recent times) and even Varadkar (who is more likely to say what he think will serve him best personally but on this one he's right).

I have also said before that if you are sincere as you claim in your views that you probably should step back and bit from the whole issue and do something else as this level of obsession and fear isn't healthy for anyone.

They have feck all Covid in China, your arguments about why this Is impossible must not have been translated into Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I said it before, the end result in all of this isn't actually in doubt as far as I am concerned, the only question is when those in charge realise it and then accept it.

Zero covid is a pipe dream for imbeciles, the worlds fastest vaccine is a carrot on a stick for donkeys. Eventually it will become obvious to all that the only way forward is to find equilibrium with the virus, to make some hard decisions and start to develop a society that co-exists with covid and all its implications.

The nations that do that will get a head start, my guess was that it would be next year before Ireland copped on and stopped fighting the tide, but I would welcome any signs that they could come to this realisation sooner.

Seen an opinion poll that said 1/3 of irish people won't take a vaccine.

Thankfully 1 in 3 Irish adults can perform a risk analysis of their own health

Our own government/NPHET have made it very clear what the plan is. 9 more months of yo yoing between lockdown and various levels of restrictions while we pray for a vaccine.

We are going to continue with this approach until a vaccine arrives or the economy gets so bad that we have to move forward.

To be honest, I think it could be the latter.

We have made no effort to increase hospital/ICU capacity since this started and we refuse to discuss any other alternative approaches.

Our whole approach is based on number of cases, regardless of how few are actually sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I’ve outlined my approach multiple times on over the past few months.

Lockdown the country hard, at the very least as hard as the march lockdown.

Close all ports and airports to anything but the most essential of travel (incoming food in and out etc). Anyone who does enter the county must be isolated and tested and only released after a negative test.

When we get cases in the county zero for a period of time then we can start to open and target operating as normal within the country. But airports and ports continue to operate as above. If we totally suppress the virus in the country then the only way it increases again is by importing it.

Also before the north gets mentioned. 24/7 permanent army and gardai checkPoints on all main route and rolling checkpoints on secondary routes.

These are obviously very serious measures, drastic even but it would get us back to somewhat normal faster and minimise the numbers who get sick or die from the virus.

NZ have clearly shown the strategy works too so it’s not like we are going into the total unknown.

It wouldn’t be unrealistic to say we could be drinking restriction free pints by Christmas, early January at the latest with no worries at all of spreading the virus or getting sick if we follow the above strategy.

Ignoring the rest of your claptrap that would leave probably half a million people unemployed or bankrupt.

Do you not think there's a certain group of people who may have an issue with this method? There'd be more dead than covid in a month......

You really are delusional nox nox noxing on heavens door.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

You can't be serious 24/7 armed checkpoints at the border with the north. Yeah the IRA and other paramilitaries would love that.

You are yet again showing your shortsightedness and not thinking about the consequences and knock on effects of the batsh1t crazy measures that you are suggesting but, you already know this. It's the only reason you keep posting in this thread to bait people into responding to your complete hysteria and hyperbole.

I know how ironic it is me saying that while I've taken your bait and responded with this post but like the previous poster said this will be my last time responding to you and hopefully others will do the same and you'll eventually crawl back under the bridge that you came from.

The poster is a Troll. By responding you just give them oxygen. Best to ignore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Ignoring the rest of your claptrap that would leave probably half a million people unemployed or bankrupt.

Do you not think there's a certain group of people who may have an issue with this method? There'd be more dead than covid in a month......

You really are delusional nox nox noxing on heavens door.....

The poster is troll. Best ignored. Responding only gives them oxygen

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Reckon we will get a new level plan with it been even more restrictive then the one now

Economic sake we need to live with this virus

Imagine having to go into national lockdown part 2 and redo all the claps and that for health workers

Seen an opinion poll that said 1/3 of irish people won't take a vaccine.

Thankfully 1 in 3 Irish adults can perform a risk analysis of their own health

Or 1/3 of those polled are anti-vax scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Lockdown the country hard.
    • Close all ports and airports.
    • permanent army and gardai checkPoints on all main route and rolling checkpoints on secondary routes.

Noxxy knows none of this is realistic or will work so no point debating them with rational realistic points, waste of time.
    What it's really about for those like him is keeping Irish borders closed to foreigners, non-Irish out and a halt to all legal immigration currently in progress leaving thousands in limbo like in the DP centres..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Noxxy knows none of this is realistic or will work so no point debating them with rational realistic points, waste of time.
    What it's really about for those like him is keeping Irish borders closed to foreigners, non-Irish out and a halt to all legal immigration currently in progress leaving thousands in limbo like in the DP centres..

Well that’s a bizarre conclusion to arrive at.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Be surprised if it was as low as 1/3. Would imagine is closer to 50%, more possibly when it comes to the crunch of actually being vaccinated. Depends on who is conducting the poll of course.

They have feck all Covid in China, your arguments that zero Covid is impossible must not have been translated into Chinese.

Here’s an idea for ‘feck-all Covid’ - stop testing people with no symptoms.

Testing and tracing are useless without isolation measures, and numbers are too high for any accuracy. Tracing is guesswork - like children connecting dots on a sheet of polka-dot paper to make a pattern.

Waste of time and money. Risk mitigation and a functioning healthcare system would achieve ‘feck-all Covid‘ in time, in tandem with functioning economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Nice. I'm not anti-vax. I'll not be a lab rat for an untested/unproven vaccine for a virus that probably won't cause me any problems if I get it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I think shernox Holmes hates our ethnic cousins, but I don't think he hates de fordiners.

This is more to do with a complete lack of knowledge of the secondary and gig economy that makes this country great, and a ridiculous disregard and disrespect of the GFA.

I'd bet nox doesn't see retail and hospitality as real jobs. Bartending is just something that you do during college.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well that’s a bizarre conclusion to arrive at.

You'll never admit it of course, but this Covid crisis has brought out the xenophobic feelings many people have had for years but never had the reasons to bring these thoughts out into the public without appearing too extreme, but here they are now..

Penfailed wrote: »
    Nice. I'm not anti-vax. I'll not be a lab rat for an untested/unproven vaccine for a virus that probably won't cause me any problems if I get it.

What your endgame penfailed?

You want restrictions but not a vaccine?

Where does it stop so?

What your endgame penfailed?

You want restrictions but not a vaccine?

Where does it stop so?

I've said this before but it looks like I'll have to repeat myself again - I don't want restrictions.
    A vaccine is a pipe dream though. Until relatively recently, I was supportive of the government's approach to this. I understand the need for the restrictions but would prefer that they weren't necessary. Simply opening everything up isn't going to work so we are where we are.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I've said this before but it looks like I'll have to repeat myself again - I don't want restrictions.
    A vaccine is a pipe dream though. Until relatively recently, I was supportive of the government's approach to this. I understand the need for the restrictions but would prefer that they weren't necessary. Simply opening everything up isn't going to work so we are where we are.

Your saying your not in favour of them while saying opening up wont work so its hard to follow tbh.

You wont take the vaccine but at the same time we cant open up.

So spectator sports, concerts etc are not something we will witness again in our lives???

• Advertisement

Yes put it would be a quick end to most of the loonier conspiracy nonsense if the government would fess us that the only reason for restrictions is to safeguard our pathetic healthcare system.

And they’re not there because this is a deadly virus that could strike you dead, at any time, young or old, and even if it doesn’t kill you, you’re likely to have life-lasting seriously debilitating after effects.

Which is what many people in this country seem to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

This is really serious stuff that hasn't really been spoken about in the media.

There is real pressure in political and corporate circles to be first to come up with a vaccine.

It's one thing not wanting to give your kid a vaccine that's been proven down the years to be good for their well being, but we live in a corrupt world, and if a vaccine became available tomorrow passed by both the EMA and FDA, there will be a lot of people very sceptic about it and they won't be the so-called "tin foil hat" brigade.

We've all seen then President Obama "drinking" "tap water" in Flint.....

Personally I'd be happy enough to hold off and see how things are six months after it (if) becomes available.

Your saying your not in favour of them while saying opening up wont work so its hard to follow tbh.

You wont take the vaccine but at the same time we cant open up.

So spectator sports, concerts etc are not something we will witness again in our lives???

Not being in favour of restrictions but saying opening up won't work aren't mutually exclusive. I don't like the restrictions but recognise that they are a necessary evil.
    I don't know how you've come to your last point/question though. It's quite the leap to take from what I've posted. I'm scheduled to play at a festival at the start of July next year so I hope you're wrong.

Not being in favour of restrictions but saying opening up won't work aren't mutually exclusive. I don't like the restrictions but recognise that they are a necessary evil.
    I don't know how you've come to your last point/question though. It's quite the leap to take from what I've posted.I'm scheduled to play at a festival at the start of July next year so I hope you're wrong.

What will have changed by July?

What will have changed by July?

I don't know. It's in the north so perhaps it'll be different there...?

I don't know. It's in the north so perhaps it'll be different there...?

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest anything will be any different regarding restriction's next July.

Why would it be?

Its been restricted all Summer when cases and deaths were none existent.

Why will next Summer be different??

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest anything will be any different regarding restriction's next July.

Why would it be?

Its been restricted all Summer when cases and deaths were none existent.

Why will next Summer be different??

You keep asking questions that I don't have an answer to. I don't have a crystal ball unfortunately.

You keep asking questions that I don't have an answer to. I don't have a crystal ball unfortunately.

Im just trying to understand why you think you will be at a concert in July without a vaccine.

Im just trying to understand why you think you will be at a concert in July without a vaccine.

I didn't say that I think I'll be there. I hope that I will though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

On the issue of spectators at sports, concerts and other occasions...I've just come back from the location of a GAA match today. There were a group of people standing on recycling glass bottle banks to watch the match...in the wind and rain. At least half of this group are over 65, and there was zero social distancing or mask wearing, one wrong step and you've a serious injury. I think the risk of Covid to these people was far less than the risk of falling and obtaining a serious injury. Covid certainly wasn't at the forefront of their minds while standing in that precarious position...The fact people can't sit socially distanced at stadiums, with staggered entry and exit times for each zone baffles me...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement