Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Most people, even if sceptical about masks, couldn't care enough either way. It's a minor inconvenience, and if it keeps people happy then I'll wear one. I dont care enough about the issue to protest, it's fairly arbitrary really.

I'd happily wear a mask for a year with no complaints if it meant an end to the lockdown cycle.

What they are talking about doing with another level 5 will be the death of this country. That is not an exaggeration. This cost of another level 5 will be astronomical.

Well then maybe the dopes that were protecting their freedoms and ignoring restrictions should have thought about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

They don't have to accept what NPHET says but jesus above they better not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well then maybe the dopes that were protecting their freedoms and ignoring restrictions should have thought about that?

So everyone who has caught Covid are dopes then is it?
    All of them?
    All 364 today? All 605 yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭global23214124

This is not true.

Countries are implementing local targeted lock downs right across Europe in cities where spread is accelerating. Look at Paris and Madrid. Look at the situation in the UK.

National measures are being strengthened as well.

Ireland is doing nothing different.

Prevention is better than cure :cool:

Local lockdowns yes but not the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

funnydoggy wrote: »
    They don't have to accept what NPHET says but jesus above they better not

I don't think the politicans want to do it. They want votes not take it away but maybe the fear of it will refocus people what to do. Wash hands, sanitize say a distance from people and you do this regardless if you wear a damn mask or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

bloopy wrote: »
    All of them?

Dont mind that poster, the mods ignore him too.

Its nobodies fault they have Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

I have never protested for anything in my life. But this is the straw the broke the camels back for me.

We have lost the plot completely as a government ,media and society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

copeyhagen wrote: »
    most of the protests were people sprouting conspiracy nonsense ,thats why they havent had any credibility.

now though, i think the people have had enough...

Think its a bit unfair to be talking up the idea of protesting at this stage but then in the same sentence to be spitting on the people who have protested before you. They were/are a mixed bag with a multitude of different ideas and reasons for being there, some of which you may not agree with, but principally they protested to object to the lock-downs and restrictions and they did so at a time when it was sneered at by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    I have never protested for anything in my life. But this is the straw the broke the camels back for me.

I've never protested either but unfortunately if such draconian measures are implemented there will be no other choice. I only hope government will politely ignore NPHET's advice and disband it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

bloopy wrote: »
    All of them?

I think you should re read that again he was talking about the anti mask and restrictions protest. By the way I am all full them but sometimes we need to take a step back from here breath and relook at what someone says

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Its nobodies fault they have Covid
    That isn’t true for all of them. If they attended house parties, on the pier in Galway, didn’t social distance at GAA matches (from some vids I’ve seen), then they are at fault. And other people will now suffer.

At last we are seeing a move in the right direction to fight this virus. Not sure is it Tony coming back and getting people to cop on or the realisation that if we don’t act now we are fuc*ed.

The faster we lock down the sooner we can open again and the more lives we save.

One things is for sure after the weekend and reading some posts here we have to have serious sanctions for anyone gathering in protests and risking the whole community spreading the virus, going against expert advice and just being absolute lunatics in general. We serious need to mobilise the army if there is any actual truth behind these keyboard warriors claims.

Today is a positive though we might have a decent Christmas yet if we can get this virus under control.

At last we are seeing a move in the right direction to fight this virus. Not sure is it Tony coming back and getting people to cop on or the realisation that if we don’t act now we are fuc*ed.

The faster we lock down the sooner we can open again and the more lives we save.

One things is for sure after the weekend and reading some posts here we have to have serious sanctions for anyone gathering in protests and risking the whole community spreading the virus, going against expert advice and just being absolute lunatics in general. We serious need to mobilise the army if there is any actual truth behind these keyboard warriors claims.

Today is a positive though we might have a decent Christmas yet if we can get this virus under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

We live in a Republic, unfortunately the reality of that is that muppets like yesterday have as much right to a voice and the freedom to express it.

As much as I think they're twats, playing us off against each other and promoting kicking down is exactly what Leo and his ilk want.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Never protested on the streets for anything before and I wouldn't join one of these mask protests, I usually contact the local TDs, but if theres protests against a national lockdown I'll gladly join one.

Lets hope that fines at set at a level that law abiding people can be supported by fines on anti social scofflaws.

Now is the time to do this, before the coldest months, so that there can be some normality at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Spot on, Nox. If we do nothing then conservative modelling would place us as having between 3700 and 5200 deaths during the November to February period. Tens of thousands of more infections, hospitals overran, people being left with life changing health issues as a result of infection.

Just need to see what is happening in Israel to see what happens when infection levels start to rise and people resist a new lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Even the suggestion of moving straight to level 5 for the whole county without any warning is two fingers up to the vast majority of common-sense folk in this country who are adhering to the rules and guidelines and accepting the restrictions.

The problem is that small percentage of morons going to house parties, meeting many people, no masks, no hand washing etc. Punishing the masses because of the selfishness of a few. Grossly unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Spot on, Nox. If we do nothing then conservative modelling would place us as having between 3700 and 5200 deaths during the November to February period. Tens of thousands of more infections, hospitals overran, people being left with life changing health issues as a result of infection.

Just need to see what is happening in Israel to see what happens when infection levels start to rise and people resist a new lockdown.

Which models are you using? Are they the same models that were completely wrong it all of their other predictions re the virus in March? What is your source?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

I agree. That BLM protest here was reckless beyond extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

4/10, at least you used paragraphs

At least you're admitting all you really care about is Christmas pints.... .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

What the hell is going on? Fcuking seething here. This locking down sh1t needs to stop. It does not work, it will never work. A vaccine will not come so stop this sh1t and figure out a way to live with this so called deadly virus.

No coincidence that Tony comes back and this is recommended. No mention of it at a meeting on Thursday. Tony should not be let back in charge. You cannot leave a position during a time like this and then expect to stroll back in. I know the reason why he left and that’s a shame but I do not care about the reason, he should stay away and leave it to Glynn.

This will have a detrimental affect on people’s mental health never mind the economy. This is not natural.

Fcuking seething.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

TRANQUILLO wrote: »

No they haven't honestly they're not fools they're doctors who are well educated in their fields and are making recommendations based on the data available which is what we don't have immediate access to. The situation IS deteriorating and not just here, it's happening in other parts aka this is the beginning of the "Second Wave" which considering history is the more deadly one and the one we have got to watch our backs on.

The problem is your losing the plot because your being faced with a 2nd lockdown as a result of a Natural Disaster. That's what this goddamn virus is. I seriously doubt you'd be saying this if this virus was far more potent on par with the black plague or ebola as if it had a 50% fatality rate it would share the shít out of people into hiding and the ratlickers would not be tolerated at all.

A 2nd lockdown sucks but it could be done considering the damage from the first could be alot less than expected so we might have the ability to be able to withstand at least one more full lockdown if we need to. What's needed though is for people to cop the hell on and take this seriously, social distance, wear a damn mask in any situation where there's crowds and no social distancing available and wash and sanitise often as possible.

Personally I'd rather the economic damage than see a situation where we lose control and we're seeing our loved ones dead and being carted away to an incinerator in fúcking army trucks like what happened in Italy months ago. This virus once it get's out of control give's absolutely no fúcks about you or any of your loved ones it rips through communities leaving a trail of dead and incapacitated victims in it's wake. It's all believing "ah were young well be grand" until your the one struck down with it along with long term disability. Why take that chance when you dont NEED to risk it?

Too many people are too damn selfish and dont think beyond their own bloody lives, they're giving out which can feel exhausting and aggrivating but the minute you stop being careful and just doing what you feel like is the minute we see absolute hell break out. Don't be dense, dont get frustrated, THINK and take Precautions. Until this is over and there's a vaccine or a good treatment available we have no choice but to be vigilant otherwise it might not be yourself who simply suffers the consequences its your loved ones who could.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There are still people renting houses to people from Dublin, Donegal and northern Ireland for weekends away, 10 to 20 people in a house, ah sure as long as the owners of the houses get a few quid what do they care. Disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

A very small cohort is in denial or have axes to grind.

There are also people that are just more exposed to restrictions than others depending on their circumstances.

Their frustration is understandable but you can't make policy on frustration.

We have a serious situation that has to be managed one way or another.

Experts matter and it's ridiculous particularly since Trump that quite a few people don't do experts any more - they know better etc etc. Again it's an insignificant minority.

Most people are sensible, do listen to experts, do abide by the rules and will do so until we are through this.

As long as the experts agree with your point of view, then they are the legitimate ones. If they have a different opinion then they are conspiracy theorist that can be easily dismissed. There are differing experts coming out now saying lockdown is a huge mistake and a new strategy needs to be used.

It needs to be said again and again, NPHET are going for a ZeroCovid approach. McConkey said this during the week. They will recommend that we be locked down for 3 short months to get cases to zero, no point saying they want to get deaths to zero as we are already there.

If the government buckle to this request we are completely goosed. The amount of businesses that will permanently close will be frightening. The numbers of jobs lost staggering. All of which will come at a huge personal cost to a huge proportion of the population.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

From a mental health standpoint we're screwed.

They have Bressie on a show on RTE soon. He's only on to talk about mental health.

They know what's coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Lundstram wrote: »
    This locking down sh1t needs to stop. It does not work, it will never work. A vaccine will not come soo so stop this sh1t and figure out a way to live with this so called deadly virus.
    I’m against a lvl5 lockdown, but you are talking some sh1te.
    Lockdowns do work.
    A vaccine is likely to be out soon. Getting it done in early 2021 is amazing progress.
    What is “live with this” meant to mean? I hate that idiotic term. We are living with restrictions to prevent it consuming our health resources and killing thousands. Do you want unrestricted access for all to do what they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

That’s some wacky model, Johnny. Who told you that? Professor McConkey of Guernsey and the Faroe Islands?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Has any other country proposed such a quick sharp lockdown at a national level recently? Israel springs to mind as one but their case numbers are at a worse level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This is going to decimate the economy. The hospitality and tourism industries are finished.
    Small to medium retail businesses will struggle to reopen and the big chains will start pulling out one by one.

This is going to cost an astronomical amount, and I’m not just talking about financially.
    I’m actually in shock tonight. Wouldn’t be surprised to see riots and protests and wouldn’t blame people for going to them either.

If the government think they’ll get the same support and adherence to lockdown round 2 they’re extremely mistaken. It just isn’t going to happen so they’re basically destroying the economy for nothing.

I have never been a fan of MM or Fianna Fáil but I do feel a bit of sympathy that he essentially inherited a poisoned chalice from Leo and this is going to destroy his political career.
    The tribunal and enquiry into our response to this virus in a few years will be damning for those in power, and the people will never forget.

All sense seems to have gone out the window when that first 3 week extension was announced in early May before the inept roadmap was announced, and hasn’t returned since.
    2020 is a write off, I want to wake up in 2021. This is going to be a horrible grim winter with NPHET calling the shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Does anyone have a draft letter they are proposing to send to their local TDs regarding these ridiculous restrictions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement