Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I’m against a lvl5 lockdown, but you are talking some sh1te.
    Lockdowns do work.
    A vaccine is likely to be out soon. Getting it done in early 2021 is amazing progress.
    What is “live with this” meant to mean? I hate that idiotic term. We are living with restrictions to prevent it consuming our health resources and killing thousands. Do you want unrestricted access for all to do what they want?

The only irony is you suggesting the post you quoted is ****e

Nothing in your post is proven or going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

hynesie08 wrote: »
    4/10, at least you used paragraphs

At least you're admitting all you really care about is Christmas pints.... .

I think he cares about having xmas dinner with his folks. Not looking likely if things keep going the way they're going.

The finger pointing and army callout is simply blind panic & anxiety, this pandemic has different effects on people. Some are not handling it well at all, social media and forums don't help. We've bonkers having anti mask gatherings on one side and bonkers looking for gaol time & internment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

GocRh wrote: »
    I only hope government will politely ignore NPHET's advice and disband it all together.

Yes that's highly likely:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

A very small cohort is in denial or have axes to grind.

There are also people that are just more exposed to restrictions than others depending on their circumstances.

Their frustration is understandable but you can't make policy on frustration.

We have a serious situation that has to be managed one way or another.

Experts matter and it's ridiculous particularly since Trump that quite a few people don't do experts any more - they know better etc etc. Again it's an insignificant minority.

Most people are sensible, do listen to experts, do abide by the rules and will do so until we are through this.

As long as the experts agree with your point of view, then they are the legitimate ones. If they have a different opinion then they are conspiracy theorist that can be easily dismissed. There are differing experts coming out now saying lockdown is a huge mistake and a new strategy needs to be used.

It needs to be said again and again, NPHET are going for a ZeroCovid approach. McConkey said this during the week. They will recommend that we be locked down for 3 short months to get cases to zero, no point saying they want to get deaths to zero as we are already there.

If the government buckle to this request we are completely goosed. The amount of businesses that will permanently close will be frightening. The numbers of jobs lost staggering. All of which will come at a huge personal cost to a huge proportion of the population.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The only irony is you suggesting the post you quoted is ****e

Nothing in your post is proven or going to happen

Great retort. Such detail. Sums up your post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I’m against a lvl5 lockdown, but you are talking some sh1te.
    Lockdowns do work.
    A vaccine is likely to be out soon. Getting it done in early 2021 is amazing progress.
    What is “live with this” meant to mean? I hate that idiotic term. We are living with restrictions to prevent it consuming our health resources and killing thousands. Do you want unrestricted access for all to do what they want?
    ”a vaccine is likely to be out soon”

I laughed hard. Very hard.

You are utterly deluded beyond all comprehension. If a vaccine came out tomorrow it would take at least a year to immunise the majority.

Locking up people like caged animals for the safety of 0.5% of the population is crazy.

People need to stand up against this now. No more. We flattened the curve once, they’ve had 6 months to figure out a plan beyond that but they have failed miserably.

Fcuk them, tbh.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Keep laughing and being the fool.
    Having a vaccine out in 2021 will be an amazing achievement of modern science. You being unable to comprehend that is your issue.
    Locking up people like caged animals for the safety of 0.5% of the population is crazy.
    Nobody will be locked up like a crazed animal, dumb to suggest it.
    People need to stand up against this now.
    I’m against a lvl5 lockdown, the numbers don’t warrant it.
    We flattened the curve once, they’ve had 6 months to figure out a plan beyond that but they have failed miserably.
    Yeah, I’m sure your master plan of “live with it” won’t fcuk us at all. Juvenile and pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Great retort. Such detail. Sums up your post.

Poor Fintan thinks it's a "mild cold".

Infini wrote: »
    No they haven't honestly they're not fools they're doctors who are well educated in their fields and are making recommendations based on the data available which is what we don't have immediate access to. The situation IS deteriorating and not just here, it's happening in other parts aka this is the beginning of the "Second Wave" which considering history is the more deadly one and the one we have got to watch our backs on.

The problem is your losing the plot because your being faced with a 2nd lockdown as a result of a Natural Disaster. That's what this goddamn virus is. I seriously doubt you'd be saying this if this virus was far more potent on par with the black plague or ebola as if it had a 50% fatality rate it would share the shít out of people into hiding and the ratlickers would not be tolerated at all.

A 2nd lockdown sucks but it could be done considering the damage from the first could be alot less than expected so we might have the ability to be able to withstand at least one more full lockdown if we need to. What's needed though is for people to cop the hell on and take this seriously, social distance, wear a damn mask in any situation where there's crowds and no social distancing available and wash and sanitise often as possible.

Personally I'd rather the economic damage than see a situation where we lose control and we're seeing our loved ones dead and being carted away to an incinerator in fúcking army trucks like what happened in Italy months ago. This virus once it get's out of control give's absolutely no fúcks about you or any of your loved ones it rips through communities leaving a trail of dead and incapacitated victims in it's wake. It's all believing "ah were young well be grand" until your the one struck down with it along with long term disability. Why take that chance when you dont NEED to risk it?

Too many people are too damn selfish and dont think beyond their own bloody lives, they're giving out which can feel exhausting and aggrivating but the minute you stop being careful and just doing what you feel like is the minute we see absolute hell break out. Don't be dense, dont get frustrated, THINK and take Precautions. Until this is over and there's a vaccine or a good treatment available we have no choice but to be vigilant otherwise it might not be yourself who simply suffers the consequences its your loved ones who could.

You know, that would be all great but for a couple of minor details that might be worth considering.

First, the economy is in the toilet already. Pascal was rolled out the other day, he spoke lots of words but with very little content. The deficit won't be 30 billion but will be a significant proportion of that and we still have 3 months left in this year.

Second, this virus is already endemic. It doesn't matter if we lock down. As soon as we open up it will come back. You can be 100% sure of that. There is no "getting rid" of this virus and as yet we still have no vaccine.

Everyone is selfish to a certain extent. So that they can provide for their family and loved ones. That's human nature and nobody is 100% altruistic and anyone that says they are is a liar.

As a show of solidarity with the people, the Government and NPHET should go on the PUP payment for all the weeks that they enforce draconian measures on this country.

We’ll soon see what level they really feel is appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Who would actually want to take this rushed vaccine? I’m not going near it till at least 1000s have got it before I even contemplate to take it and see what the actual side effects from it are.

fin12 wrote: »
    Who would actually want to take this rushed vaccine? I’m not going near it till at least 1000s have got it before I even contemplate to take it and see what the actual side effects from it are.
    1000s have gotten it from one of the pharmaceutical giants. But testing will go on for a number of months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

At last we are seeing a move in the right direction to fight this virus. Not sure is it Tony coming back and getting people to cop on or the realisation that if we don’t act now we are fuc*ed.

The faster we lock down the sooner we can open again and the more lives we save.

One things is for sure after the weekend and reading some posts here we have to have serious sanctions for anyone gathering in protests and risking the whole community spreading the virus, going against expert advice and just being absolute lunatics in general. We serious need to mobilise the army if there is any actual truth behind these keyboard warriors claims.

Today is a positive though we might have a decent Christmas yet if we can get this virus under control.

myarse what will have changed from the march lockdown , schools are open

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

SusieBlue wrote: »
    This is going to decimate the economy. The hospitality and tourism industries are finished.
    Small to medium retail businesses will struggle to reopen and the big chains will start pulling out one by one.

This is going to cost an astronomical amount, and I’m not just talking about financially.
    I’m actually in shock tonight. Wouldn’t be surprised to see riots and protests and wouldn’t blame people for going to them either.

If the government think they’ll get the same support and adherence to lockdown round 2 they’re extremely mistaken. It just isn’t going to happen so they’re basically destroying the economy for nothing.

I have never been a fan of MM or Fianna Fáil but I do feel a bit of sympathy that he essentially inherited a poisoned chalice from Leo and this is going to destroy his political career.
    The tribunal and enquiry into our response to this virus in a few years will be damning for those in power, and the people will never forget.

All sense seems to have gone out the window when that first 3 week extension was announced in early May before the inept roadmap was announced, and hasn’t returned since.
    2020 is a write off, I want to wake up in 2021. This is going to be a horrible grim winter with NPHET calling the shots.

In what way. All parties were behind the lockdown the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Poor Fintan thinks it's a "mild cold".

For the vast majority, that's all it is yes - if they even realise they have it in the first place!

The problem is that we're putting the needs of the few who actually are at any significant risk ahead of the welfare of those others or the country as a whole.

That's a noble idea sure, but entirely unrealistic given the number of variables and moving parts that make up a country, economy and society.

Those who are at risk need to take personal responsibility for their own safety and well-being according to their specific circumstances, up to and including cocooning if necessary, and they should be supported by Government in doing so until a vaccine becomes available (whenever that may be - people shouldn't pin hopes on 2021.. it could easily take a lot longer than that).

For everyone else though, life, work and everything else needs to go on as unimpeded as possible - in no small part to be able to support that group while they protet themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,451 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Infini wrote: »
    No they haven't honestly they're not fools they're doctors who are well educated in their fields and are making recommendations based on the data available which is what we don't have immediate access to..

Tony is also the guy responsible for the cervical check scandal and the disgraceful handling of nursing homes that cost the lives of hundreds of people more than there might have been.

Forgive me if I don't take his advice as infallible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ixoy wrote: »
    Has any other country proposed such a quick sharp lockdown at a national level recently? Israel springs to mind as one but their case numbers are at a worse level.

Israel has many issues, not least of which is Covid, but also dealing with Netanyahu who is more like Putin, Orban or Lukashenko...

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-hundreds-of-small-protests-mushroom-across-israel-over-draconian-restrictions-1.9201738

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You are utterly deluded beyond all comprehension. If a vaccine came out tomorrow it would take at least a year to immunise the majority.

People need to stand up against this now. No more. We flattened the curve once, they’ve had 6 months to figure out a plan beyond that but they have failed miserably.

Fcuk them, tbh.

You do know the whole point is to keep it that way. I do not want another Irish lockdown but how about carrying on doing whjat we and meant to as least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Anyone ranting here should state what they propose to do instead. The numbers are increasing each week, even if many people do not have severe symptoms they still take up GPs time, hundreds of extra people will go to hospital and dozens of those will go to ICU. Health care staff will start to get infected and will have to take time out, at best, or will be sick for months or die at worst. To make room in the health service for all of this will require other operations and treatments to be cancelled. The economy is not going to thrive anyway, ordinary people are not going to have the confidence to go to hotels, restaurants and the like, the reckless may carry on but they will only spread the thing further.

Childish rants about the "government" don't cut it, it isn't the government that is the problem it is the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Lockdown proponents be like:

eAighGv.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Israel opened up literally overnight, and that's why cases exploded.

I work with Israeli colleagues and everyone was back in the office - not asked, but REQUIRED to be in the office at least 3 days per week.

We've NEVER opened up to the extent Israel did.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,539 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The medicine is becoming worse than the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

The numbers are increasing each week,

And ?

Cases are cases.

Deaths are deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

NPHET and the government can stick this one up where the sun doesnt shine if they think this is going to be brought into force.

NPHET and the government can stick this one up where the sun doesnt shine if they think this is going to be brought into force.

Dead right. We have now entered the theatre of the absurd with the severe measures being recommended. Have these "experts" any concept of the peoples' livelihoods they'll be gutting? None whatsoever. All about saving HSE face, and their disgraceful incompetence. All these months to prepare for the inevitable second wave, and nothing done whatsoever to make provision in ICU units. NPHET can f*ck right off if they think the public will swallow this without resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

This is madness.

Anyone ranting here should state what they propose to do instead. The numbers are increasing each week, even if many people do not have severe symptoms they still take up GPs time, hundreds of extra people will go to hospital and dozens of those will go to ICU. Health care staff will start to get infected and will have to take time out, at best, or will be sick for months or die at worst. To make room in the health service for all of this will require other operations and treatments to be cancelled. The economy is not going to thrive anyway, ordinary people are not going to have the confidence to go to hotels, restaurants and the like, the reckless may carry on but they will only spread the thing further.

Childish rants about the "government" don't cut it, it isn't the government that is the problem it is the population.

Au contraire, extraordinary measures require extraordinary evidence. The number of cases have been increasing for months now. A little over 100 people in the entire country are in hospital WITH COVID, and with is the important word here. Deaths are statistically non existent over the same period of time.

If the government want to lock down the country again they better have something more concrete than "concern' because quite frankly that's not going to cut it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

[QUOTE=TRANQUILLO;114822858

We have lost the plot completely as a government ,media and society.[/QUOTE]

A reflection of our “world class education system” remember with teachers who are amongst the best paid in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

What do you propose be done instead?

bloopy wrote:
    This is madness

jrant wrote:
    Au contraire, extraordinary measures require extraordinary evidence. The number of cases have been increasing for months now. A little over 100 people in the entire country are in hospital WITH COVID, and with is the important word here. Deaths are statistically non existent over the same period of time.

If cases increase then hospitalisations and deaths increase. I'm sure the dead people were actually existent.
    hamburgham wrote: »
    A reflection of our “world class education system” remember with teachers who are amongst the best paid in the world.

What do you propose is done instead?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement