Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

For whatever reasons, the government and NPHET clearly don’t want to give us the full picture.

We’ve had cases rising and rising since late July. How many people are actually sick though? Only 134 in hospital and 21 in ICU. Death rate is tiny.

People need to stop thinking that a positive swab = a sick person. Most have either no symptoms at all or extremely mild.

I don’t buy into conspiracies. I don’t believe the government or NPHET have any kind of motive. They are just inept and super conservative. Easier to just crash the country and blame Covid than actually do something.

If we put the politicians and NPHET on 300 a week, we’d quickly see how severe Covid really is. I imagine it would quickly become very easy for them to share how many people have no symptoms at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Pat Kenny seems to be mad keen for fines and sanctioning people here on NT today. I think maybe he feels a bit vulnerable himself? His current guest (Jim O'Callaghan) at least trying to talk sense.

He is all in favour of a police state, he is a ranting lunatic who really should cocoon.

Jim O Callaghan is his rather balanced guest.

Can non essential retwil businesses remain open in level 4?
    Penfailed wrote: »
    Yes. Level 5 too.

This is confusing.

If you can only leave your home for essential reasons, why would non essential retail be open

Pat Kenny seems to be mad keen for fines and sanctioning people here on NT today. I think maybe he feels a bit vulnerable himself? His current guest (Jim O'Callaghan) at least trying to talk sense.

Has he been on about the joggers and cyclists and their 'plumes' again ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

This is confusing.

If you can only leave your home for easential reasons, why would non essential retail be open

Fintan, has anything coming out of NPHET ever been clear and concise?

Are you re doubling your efforts btw? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For whatever reasons, the government and NPHET clearly don’t want to give us the full picture.

We’ve had cases rising and rising since late July. How many people are actually sick though? Only 134 in hospital and 21 in ICU. Death rate is tiny.

People need to stop thinking that a positive swab = a sick person. Most have either no symptoms at all or extremely mild.

I don’t buy into conspiracies. I don’t believe the government or NPHET have any kind of motive. They are just inept and super conservative. Easier to just crash the country and blame Covid than actually do something.

If we put the politicians and NPHET on 300 a week, we’d quickly see how severe Covid really is. I imagine it would quickly become very easy for them to share how many people have no symptoms at all.

It's pretty obvious why this is Jac - the Government/HSE have squandered the time bought in the late spring/summer by falling numbers that they should have been using to build up capacity in the system for the autumn/winter.

Instead, the healthcare system is the same shambles it is every winter and so they're panicking that they won't be able to handler even a modest CV-19 demand on top of the usual winter demands.

Thus, better to blame students, people gathering at home, protesters.. anyone except themselves!

............as opposed to a total Level 5 lockdown!! That is the point he is trying to make! Compliance with regulations must be enforced, otherwise its a joke from Day 1.

Why punish the entire country, every single county, every little pocket, every offshore island, every boreen just because people in cities and kids starting university are partying!??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are 100% sure of that?

100% here's the 5 level plan https://assets.gov.ie/87604/405b1065-055a-4ca8-9513-390ce5298b10.pdf

Is there a correlation between mask wearing and low case numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Penfailed wrote: »
    Yes. Level 5 too.

This is outright FALSE, all non-essential retail is shut from level 5 - why you are stating the above as fact? Just wishing to downplay such a move? joke. People will see that and believe it.

https://assets.gov.ie/87604/405b1065-055a-4ca8-9513-390ce5298b10.pdf

• Advertisement

............as opposed to a total Level 5 lockdown!! That is the point he is trying to make! Why punish the entire country, every single county, every little pocket, every offshore island, every boreen just because people in cities and kids starting university are partying!?? Its completely unfair and heavy handed!

Neither Level 5 (point whatever!) nor fines are needed to sanction the overwhelming majority of people who are not at any real risk from this thing.

Those who are need to protect themselves, up to and including cocooning if their own situation warrants it. The rest of the population need to be let get on with things with as little interference as possible.

The damage to the economy, personal circumstances, mental health and indeed society as a whole (given the divisive impact this topic is having) is already bad enough without making things worse because those in charge are covering their mistakes or fearful because they (or those close to them) are in that most vulnerable group.

No.

The more mask wearing, the more new cases we get. Simple stuff. People dont socially distance when wearing the mask. They also dont tend to wash it daily or change it daily.

And then protesters get called "loons" lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's pretty obvious why this is Jac - the Government/HSE have squandered the time bought in the late spring/summer by falling numbers that they should have been using to build up capacity in the system for the autumn/winter.

Instead, the healthcare system is the same shambles it is every winter and so they're panicking that they won't be able to handler even a modest CV-19 demand on top of the usual winter demands.

Thus, better to blame students, people gathering at home, protesters.. anyone except themselves!

100% - this is in the HSE. Almost 20% of our budget (pre-covid), overruns every year and poor capacity.

Flatten the curve, give our healthcare system time (to do absolutely nothing)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

the guards cant seem to issue fines etc. for some serious traffic offences at the best of times, where will they get time or want to enforce Covid Reg. even
    if fines issued will they just be ingnored and chased after, pointless unless its going to be a detterent

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Oh Jesus don't start, masks went on numbers went up even before the schools opened, we were warned by Government experts it could happen and it did.
    Even Tony was worried about it, they've extended the masks on public transport until November they haven't extended the one in retail yet it expired today. We can free breathe for a few hours.

BobMc wrote: »

the guards cant seem to issue fines etc. for some serious traffic offences at the best of times, where will they get time or want to enforce Covid Reg. even
    if fines issued will they just be ingnored and chased after, pointless unless its going to be a detterent

The Gardai (rightly in my view) don't want more enforcement powers on this one per Drew Harris recently. I have to say he's turning out to be a great appointment, especially after his 2 predecessors!

As I said above, the real issue here is that the public are being blamed for the incompetence/waste in the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

NPHET are just trying to frighten the people, at the moment we are not doing enough to stop the spread and its starting to get into the community, eventually it will spread into the vulnerable sections of society.

So I believe we have a month to get numbers down or then there will be a lockdown.

Its in our hands

NPHET are just trying to frighten the people, at the moment we are not doing enough to stop the spread and its starting to get into the community, eventually it will spread into the vulnerable sections of society.

So I believe we have a month to get numbers down or then there will be a lockdown.

Its in our hands

Uve been saying that for over 6 weeks now.... :rolleyes:

Oh Jesus don't start, masks went on numbers went up even before the schools opened, we were warned by Government experts it could happen and it did.
    Even Tony was worried about it, they've extended the masks on public transport until November they haven't extended the one in retail yet it expired today. We can free breathe for a few hours.

Shops can force you to wear masks today though.

The Irish National Teachers Organisation (INTO) has demanded an immediate review of whether is it safe for Ireland's schools to stay open.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40059548.html

What an embarrassment. Why do they "demand" that? Are schools closed in any other EU countries?

They are of course correct to call for this.

Its obvious we need immediate a strong action and the move to level 5 is the sensible move however the schools staying open is the elephant in the room, they should all be closed from tomorrow morning if we are serious about fighting back against this virus spread.

• Advertisement

Neither Level 5 (point whatever!) nor fines are needed to sanction the overwhelming majority of people who are not at any real risk from this thing.

Those who are need to protect themselves, up to and including cocooning if their own situation warrants it. The rest of the population need to be let get on with things with as little interference as possible.

The damage to the economy, personal circumstances, mental health and indeed society as a whole (given the divisive impact this topic is having) is already bad enough without making things worse because those in charge are covering their mistakes or fearful because they (or those close to them) are in that most vulnerable group.

Exactly !

They are of course correct to call for this.

Its obvious we need immediate a strong action and the move to level 5 is the sensible move however the schools staying open is the elephant in the room, they should all be closed from tomorrow morning if we are serious about fighting back against this virus spread.

Noxy I ve told you before this is not kung fu panda. You do not "fight the spread". You do not see the virus either.

You want social beings to become unsocial. Cuckoo land

Uve been saying that for over 6 weeks now.... :rolleyes:

Well NPHET has just said it now!! Lets hope I am right and they are bluffing.

I have been saying it but people are still stupid enough not to help stop the spread

Noxy I ve told you before this is not kung fu panda. You do not "fight the spread". You do not see the virus either.

You want social beings to become unsocial. Cuckoo land

Well pubs would be open if we had done more to stop the spread in Dublin

New cases in July were in single digits.

Why didnt we reopen them pubs back then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

when are the pubs going to reopen in dublin ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

i'm not so sure about that, but look we as a country are not very bright, look at the support for Sinn fein as an example, and if pubs are closed people have big house parties with no social distance so i think the pubs should be open personally and managed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

when are the pubs going to reopen in dublin ?

Wouldn't be holding my breath.

Except if you've got the virus and you're a few inches away from somebody else's face...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Would they? Maybe we should have shut them down since March, all stayed at home for a couple of months so they could open....?

Oh wait... We all did...

The Pubs stayed shut!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

i'm not so sure about that, but look we as a country are not very bright, look at the support for Sinn fein as an example, and if pubs are closed people have big house parties with no social distance so i think the pubs should be open personally and managed

but look we as a country are not very bright, look at the support for Fianna Fail as an example, the party that brought us multiple scandals, brought the Troika to Ireland and almost bankrupted the state out of existence... Now they are back in charge of the Covid response and Brexit!! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement