Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

New cases in July were in single digits.

Why didnt we reopen them pubs back then?

Why aren't they open now in Dublin?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    but look we as a country are not very bright, look at the support for Fianna Fail as an example, the party that brought us multiple scandals, brought the Troika to Ireland and almost bankrupted the state out of existence... Now they are back in charge of the Covid response and Brexit!! :eek:

Yep i agree, we aren't a very bright country. If we were we could do a Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Because of NPHET. And spineless MM

Would they? Maybe we should have shut them down since March, all stayed at home for a couple of months so they could open....?

Oh wait... We all did...

The Pubs stayed shut!?!

Not all pubs stayed shut, most were open in Dublin pretending to serve food.

Uncle Tom's, The Goat, PennyHill and Dropping Well are open now also.

And they opened up in all other counties.

Because of NPHET. And spineless MM

Nothing do with how the general public is behaving at all?

Everyone else fault except our own?

• Advertisement

Nothing do with how the general public is behaving at all?

Everyone else fault except our own?

I am not sure if you follow.

In July new cases were in single digits.

Public was behaving.

Dublin pubs, in fact wet pubs across whole country DID NOT reopen.

Do you have a question about above? Or you thought public behaving well is the equivalent of 0 new cases daily for a period of X months before we consider re opening wet pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I've been to Belgium, Luxembourg, Malta, all with Case rates higher than Ireland, possibly double...
    ...the pubs are open, you don't need to buy a €9 protection meal... We never opened ours in Dublin... if some stretched the rules by opening without having a kitchen then I'm sure the authorities were notified and took action.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

For whatever reasons, the government and NPHET clearly don’t want to give us the full picture.

We’ve had cases rising and rising since late July. How many people are actually sick though? Only 134 in hospital and 21 in ICU. Death rate is tiny.

People need to stop thinking that a positive swab = a sick person. Most have either no symptoms at all or extremely mild.

I don’t buy into conspiracies. I don’t believe the government or NPHET have any kind of motive. They are just inept and super conservative. Easier to just crash the country and blame Covid than actually do something.

If we put the politicians and NPHET on 300 a week, we’d quickly see how severe Covid really is. I imagine it would quickly become very easy for them to share how many people have no symptoms at all.

Spot on no one in the government or NPHET remotely effected by covid economic problems. We need some other voices to at least balance the debate. Is NPHET just medical people or are there any economists or buisness people involved. Also with all due respect to Tony he is a GP should someone more experienced with virus not be in charge?. I mean Dr Feeny had to resign because he disagreed with the government approach but if he is as equally qualified to give his opinion.

Public was behaving.

Do you have a question about above? Or you thought public behaving well is the equivalent of 0 new cases daily for a period of X months before we consider re opening wet pubs?

Not sure you followed, my question was about now not July

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Spot on no one in the government or NPHET remotely effected by covid economic problems. We need some other voices to at least balance the debate. Is NPHET just medical people or are there any economists or buisness people involved. Also with all due respect to Tony he is a GP should someone more experienced with virus not be in charge?. I mean Dr Feeny had to resign because he disagreed with the government approach but if he is as equally qualified to give his opinion.

NPHET is just medical.

• Advertisement

I've been to Belgium, Luxembourg, Malta, all with Case rates higher than Ireland, possibly double...
    ...the pubs are open, you don't need to buy a €9 protection meal... We never opened ours in Dublin... if some stretched the rules by opening without having a kitchen then I'm sure the authorities were notified and took action.

But most of the people in those countries don't behave like us with drink in us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Because there is a system in place now whereby a completely random set of numbers are being used. What those numbers are, I have no idea but then again neither do you. So to say people should just accept the blame for restrictions, maybe we should be given the actual data to show why it is necessary.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

But most of the people in those countries don't behave like us with drink in us.

Are you calling Irish people imbeciles?

They ll lick all the door handles available if given choice?

More importantly, have you missed the part where OP said that THEIR CASES WERE DOUBLE than that of Ireland? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Don't tar all the Citizens of Ireland with the same brush! People are the same here as anywhere, and of course there's a minority who can't behave but don't punish the rest of us for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

While teachers dont actually hug or take children up on their arms or anything like that, in fact they are always 3 - 5 metres away from them.

It's quite obvious from this remark that you are not a teacher!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Public was behaving.

I can see both sides of this.

The virus isnt growing due to NPHET, however it also isnt growing due to the millions of people that are doing what they should be.

Its growing because
    - its a contagious virus that has no symptoms in many people, that makes it hard to stop
    - schools are open (and for some reason stay open!!!)
    - there are a minority who have been told their whole life its someone else fault and think they are bullet proof. It could be level 100 and they wouldnt listen

Level 5 affects those that ARE currently living by the rules more than anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The pandemic has shown there is a sizeable cohort of Irish people that are in fact stupid

awec wrote: »
    NPHET is just medical.

That what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

100%

Too many people in this country turn into crazed lunatics with a bit of drink in them and could'nt be trusted to behave which is why wet pubs stayed closed and rightly so. You only have to look at the videos that have been released in the past few weeks to prove that and most recently yesterday with GAA matches. Absolute disgrace. If people can't behave like adults and follow the guidelines they deserve to be treated like a child and kept away from things that they can't behave in.

The obsession with pubs in this country is crazy and if someone already didn't know they would now know that there is a huge drinking problem in this country.

This is confusing.

If you can only leave your home for essential reasons, why would non essential retail be open

It appears that I was wrong in this assertion. The handy infographic from the HSE doesn't make any mention of essential/non-essential businesses.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

The pandemic has shown there is a sizeable cohort of Irish people that are in fact stupid

Yes. In an identical way as in Sweden, UK, Germany, France, Spain.

Did you hear about 20,000 + gathering on trafalgar square?

It seems like, wait for it, there are a lot of stupid people everywhere.... and Ireland are no exception.

Oh WOW. But we cant be like Sweden because because... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Are you calling Irish people imbeciles.

Unfortunately YES. Once a big majority of them get drink into them they turn into wild animals that can't be trusted to follow simple guidelines.

More importantly, have you missed the part where OP said that THEIR CASES WERE DOUBLE than that of Ireland? :rolleyes:
    shocksy wrote: »
    Unfortunately YES. Once a big majority of them get drink into them they turn into wild animals that can't be trusted to follow simple guidelines.

:rolleyes:

Why would you have economists involved in a national health emergency team? Their job is to try steer the country though this virus from a health perspective and make the best decisions with this in mind not economics.

Yes. In an identical way as in Sweden, UK, Germany, France, Spain.

Did you hear about 20,000 + gathering on trafalgar square?

It seems like, wait for it, there are a lot of stupid people everywhere.... and Ireland are no exception.

Oh WOW. But we cant be like Sweden because because... :rolleyes:

Did you not know that literally EVERY other European country is full of law abiding citizens that would do anything to be a pillar of the community?

It’s only Irish that can’t behave obviously.

Cases are not increasing in other countries at all because they are so well behaved.

Judging by the behaviour of many over the last few weeks with large outdoor gatherings, house parties, anti-mask protests, people continuing to travel abroad etc there are certainly a reasonable number of total imbeciles in Ireland.

Why would you have economists involved in a national health emergency team? Their job is to try steer the country though this virus from a health perspective and make the best decisions with this in mind not economics.

Not actual members of NPHET but at the start we listened to NPHET we took their advice locked down protected the health service which was correct in my opinion. But now it is much more then that it has other factors that need to be addressed and advised on. So we should be taken in advice from other areas and experts not just the medical side. This could go on for months and what we are doing isn't working.

This is outright FALSE, all non-essential retail is shut from level 5 - why you are stating the above as fact? Just wishing to downplay such a move? joke. People will see that and believe it.

https://assets.gov.ie/87604/405b1065-055a-4ca8-9513-390ce5298b10.pdf

Yep. You're correct. I made the mistake of only looking at the truncated version of the infographic. My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Because when your life will not be impacted in anyway by the implementation of the restrictions its important to have relevant discussion with people who understand how it might.

I see teachers are looking for an out again, if they get it they have to be immediately put on the Covid payment, and anyone else who demands to sit at home.

I have travelled since March for work, I didnt once plea to be sent home for my safety, if I did I wouldnt have a job, and rightly so. My older colleagues with mortgages paid and children raised are all in favour of level 5 this morning.
    Funny that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not actual members of NPHET but at the start we listened to NPHET we took their advice locked down protected the health service which was correct in my opinion. But now it is much more then that it has other factors that need to be addressed and advised on.

But what government is going to defy the advice of public health experts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement