Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

The pandemic has shown there is a sizeable cohort of Irish people that are in fact stupid

Sure, only stupid can't see that RTE, NPHET and the Government are destroying the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Is there a correlation between mask wearing and low case numbers?

I should preface this by saying I'm not anti-mask or whatever, I don't like wearing masks, I doubt anyone really does, but if I have to, I will.

But this data from UK a few weeks back I found interesting.

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1304353617873440768?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Because when your life will not be impacted in anyway by the implementation of the restrictions its important to have relevant discussion with people who understand how it might.

I see teachers are looking for an out again, if they get it they have to be immediately put on the Covid payment, and anyone else who demands to sit at home.

I have travelled since March for work, I didnt once plea to be sent home for my safety, if I did I wouldnt have a job, and rightly so. My older colleagues with mortgages paid and children raised are all in favour of level 5 this morning.
    Funny that
    I try and block you out but I'm very curious to know how you get on every day on the road while managing 30 children? Or is your job not comparable to teaching?

I see teachers are looking for an out again, if they get it they have to be immediately put on the Covid payment, and anyone else who demands to sit at home.

I have travelled since March for work, I didnt once plea to be sent home for my safety, if I did I wouldnt have a job, and rightly so. My older colleagues with mortgages paid and children raised are all in favour of level 5 this morning.
    Funny that

You have a poor understanding of how things work if you think teachers would be put on the covid payment. In any case they wiil be working from home like large numbers of people all over the country.

The schools being open is risking the health of many people in the country, they should never have reopened in the first place and need to close asap.

I hope the work you were travelling for (and I really hope you don't mean travelling abroad) was essential as otherwise you should not have been doing it though much of the time since march and you should have been working from home and not going outside your 2km zone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

So on 1st Oct NPHET don't believe a move to level 3 is warranted but 3 days later the nuclear option of level 5 nationwide is needed!!

Serious answers needed from them for such a drastic change of advice in 3 days.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1313052148402458625?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

RoryMac wrote: »
    So on 1st Oct NPHET don't believe a move to level 3 is warranted but 3 days later the nuclear option of level 5 nationwide is needed!!

Serious answers needed from them for such a drastic change of advise in 3 days.

All we will get is the rise in numbers spiel as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

But what government is going to defy the advice of public health experts?

A good government will take into account the needs of all its citizens and the needs of society. It can't be all one-sided. Once after careful consideration from all sides a decision is made then OK let's implement the government strategy.
    Unfortunately we seem to be going from one strategy to the next. The whole level system has been a shambles from day 1 and I can't help but feel it will turn onto a blame game somewhere along the line.

Tony is very lucky to still have a job after the cancer debacle and should not be allowed lead this. There is no accountability at the top level and also no impact financially these people shouldn't have the full say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

A government that can see the effects of the restrictions are going to have a far more damaging impact on lives that the virus

A government whose job it is to represent the best-interests of it's citizens.

A government with courage to do what is right, not what is easy.

A government that will hold the so called 'public health experts' to account. That will make them justify their recommendations. That will question and call on them to explain the logic of their approach and the science on which it is based.

Basically the kind of government this country doesn't have .

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

So the teachers want to shut everything down and businesses want everything to remain open.
    Gas, isn't it? We really need to find a different way to motivate some state sectors.

I would like to see teachers become self-employed and negotiate their own contracts with schools - just like footballers and their clubs. That would allow for results-related-pay and so on. It would motivate/improve the poor and the lazy and the more talented and harder-working teachers would prosper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A government that can see the effects of the restrictions are going to have a far more damaging impact on lives that the virus

A government whose job it is to represent the best-interests of it's citizens.

A government with courage to do what is right, not what is easy.

A government that will hold the so called 'public health experts' to account. That will make them justify their recommendations. That will question and call on them to explain the logic of their approach and the science on which it is based.

Basically the kind of government this country doesn't have .

But if things go wrong and people start to die in significant numbers again, it's a slam-dunk for the opposition: "NPHET told you to move to Level 5 again put you put the economy before public health." No government can risk that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

I should preface this by saying I'm not anti-mask or whatever, I don't like wearing masks, I doubt anyone really does, but if I have to, I will.

But this data from UK a few weeks back I found interesting.

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1304353617873440768?s=20

Loads of other things happening around that time as well, eat out scheme, schools going back etc as they say correlation ≠ causation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

So the teachers want to shut everything down and businesses want everything to remain open.
    Gas, isn't it? We really need to find a different way to motivate some state sectors.

I would like to see teachers become self-employed and negotiate their own contracts with schools - just like footballers and their clubs. That would allow for results-related-pay and so on. It would motivate/improve the poor and the lazy and the more talented and harder-working teachers would prosper.

I fully expect the government to sign off on this as well.

Depressing that we have at least another 9 months of this ahead. And even then they will probably still be looking to kick the can further down the road.

God knows what state the country will be in by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

But if things go wrong and people start to die in significant numbers again, it's a slam-dunk for the opposition: "NPHET told you to move to Level 5 again put you put the economy before public health." No government can risk that.

But that's the point of making decisions what your talking about there is ass covering and unfortunately that's what leads to situations like this. It's like Leo on his last day opening up things and speeding through the stages. Now Glynns last day and we are going level 5 it's ass covering to a degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Yep i agree, we aren't a very bright country. If we were we could do a Sweden

Are you still at this? It speaks volumes about your own level of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

The big problem here is NPHET addressing the people either directly or by sly leaking. This should be banned with immediate effect. We can't have these people terrorising the population at a whim. We shouldn't even know who they are. What happened last night places the Govt. in a very awkward position.

A sensible one that considers all criteria when running a country?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I hope the work you were travelling for (and I really hope you don't mean travelling abroad) was essential as otherwise you should not have been doing it though much of the time since march and you should have been working from home and not going outside your 2km zone etc.

There was nothing stopping me travel only a few finger waggers who didnt understand the law until the Ryanair case confirmed it last week.

And if the country goes to wrack and ruin because of restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I fully expect the government to sign off on this as well.

Depressing that we have at least another 9 months of this ahead. And even then they will probably still be looking to kick the can further down the road.

God knows what state the country will be in by then.

I hope they dont. I saw on another thread a poster calling Dublin city a "waste land". And that is very accurate.

These "politicians" drive by Dublin City centre every day. If they are that blind to sign off on this nonsense then a new government is very much needed. At this rate my pencil will do a better job.

• Advertisement

There was nothing stopping me travel only a few finger waggers who didnt understand the law until the Ryanair case confirmed it last week.

You were not legally allowed to leave the 2km around your home except for essential reasons, your job does not sound essential you should have been stopped and heavily fined.

Its also massively selfish and a slap in the face to the majority who have been doing their best to limit their movements, limit their interactions with others etc. Absolutely disgraceful.

some girl was on the news a week or so ago and she was having routine surgery. When swabbed as per the new regime, she tested positive. She had no symptoms nor idea that she had it.

How many of these same instances make up the "case numbers in hospitals with Covid"?
    When we hear this laid out in it's nightly format, it conjures up images of 100P+ people limping into hospital holding their chest gasping for air.

This is far from the case but the inference is there just the same. This and the lack of ages for those recent deaths spell a campaign of disinformation "it's not what we tell you, it's what we're not telling you and how we do it".

very worrying.

There's POSITIVE with covid and there's POSITIVELY sick from covid!! which is it? the former makes up the masses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You were not legally allowed to leave the 2km around your home except for essential reasons, your job does not sound essential you should have been stopped and heavily fined.

My job was essential and still is.

Didnt break one restriction throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

rusty cole wrote: »
    some girl was on the news a week or so ago and she was having routine surgery. When swabbed as per the new regime, she tested positive. She had no symptoms nor idea that she had it.

How many of these same instances make up the "case numbers in hospitals with Covid"?
    When we hear this laid out in it's nightly format, it conjures up images of 100P+ people limping into hospital holding their chest gasping for air.

This is far from the case but the inference is there just the same. This and the lack of ages for those recent deaths spell a campaign of disinformation "it's not what we tell you, it's what we're not telling you and how we do it".

very worrying.

There's POSITIVE with covid and there's POSITIVELY sick from covid!! which is it? the former makes up the masses!

Absolutely, my friend had to test as someone at the wedding she attended had Covid, test returned positive, 3 weeks later she is as healthy as she was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

rusty cole wrote: »

very worrying.

Superb post.

The stats are super deceiving .

Im using my eyes and ears. Only people dying in any meaningful number are people who've already been lucky enough to outlive the average lifespan.

We have ruined the country so granny can live to 89 instead of 87.

And you can can call me whatever names you want from sociopath to murderer. I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

uli84 wrote: »
    Absolutely, my friend had to test as someone at the wedding she attended had Covid, test returned positive, 3 weeks later she is as healthy as she was :)
    you can aparantly be "positive" up to 60 days after youve recovered, and whats being picked up are miniscule genetic fragments of the "dead" inactive virus remnants - but it doesnt mean you are sick and definitely doesnt mean you are infectious.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I can see their point. Why (do they guess) it safe for schools to stay open in Level 5 but everything else isn't.

Slightly rephrased - agree with the sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

polesheep wrote: »
    And if the country goes to wrack and ruin because of restrictions?

That's the long run, and the government can credibly say the opposition parties were not advocating a significantly different approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I think the way NPHET has gone about this is backfiring on them now, lots of TD's and media coming out asking them to backup this advice with proper numbers rather than blindly following them like they have up to now.

It's a big question now if NPHET actually have data to support this and if they don't their reputation is going to be badly affected.

The next 24 hours are critical for NPHET :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement