Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

I don't believe that people will adhere to any more restrictions than currently in place. Obviously the businesses forced by law to shutdown will likely adhere, although I can see many pubs fighting to survive continuing to serve with lock ins etc.

NPHET are egomaniacs and on massive salaries. They should be disbanded immediately in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

You and your merry band of helpers. enjoy the echoes.

No one is stopping you expressing an opinion. You might not like when people dissect and crush your opinions. But that’s what discussion is all about. As stated this isn’t Belarus, much as you might like it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I don't believe that people will adhere to any more restrictions than currently in place. Obviously the businesses forced by law to shutdown will likely adhere, although I can see many pubs fighting to survive continuing to serve with lock ins etc.

NPHET are egomaniacs and on massive salaries. They should be disbanded immediately in my view.

They ll adhere to less actually as weather gets worse and worse - much more difficult to stand in the queue than August. In fact you are more likely to get sick by standing in the queue in this cold weather than get covid from anyone you go into the shop with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The fact that you, and many more people both on and off thread actually believe this is scary.

It's a scary insight into how fucking stupid the masses are, and how dangerous they would be if given even the smallest modicum of power.

We're seeing that with NPHET. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    No one is stopping you expressing an opinion. You might not like when people dissect and crush your opinions. But that’s what discussion is all about. As stated this isn’t Belarus, much as you might like it to be

Didn't see any dissections or crushings tbh, certainly not with any factual basis anyway. Just a load of pile ons and a wiki page with some unverifiable spiel about cushy numbers.

That's what happens when you try argue with an echo chamber I guess.

Keep talking about Belarus there sure :confused:

• Advertisement

They are suggesting much worse, allowing a dangerous and deadly virus to spread unchecked among the population.

Is this one real? Or an overblown panic like with Covid??

We're seeing that with NPHET. :rolleyes:

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Didn't see any dissections or crushings tbh, certainly not with any factual basis anyway. Just a load of pile ons and a wiki page with some unverifiable spiel about cushy numbers.

If you say so ;)

You are correct. They are also conflicted by holding shares in pharmaceutical companies.

But yeah, what we have now is a bunch of "experts" with 6 digit salaries and pensions telling working people that its not safe to run a corner coffee shop and that they should shut down, get 300 eurs per week and be happy their life has been saved, even though covid 19 has been established to have 0.3% mortality.

And you wonder why only Noxx shares your point of view?

Is this a statement, a sentence or a what? It barely even makes sense yet you have garnered a load of thanks from your pals :)

Are you Ben Gilroy? Seeing as I am Gemma Od :pac:

If you say so ;)

Strong point, noted.

• Advertisement

I'm not dooming though :confused: you are so entrenched in the argument that you think I am pro-something when I have never alluded to being pro anything. My arguments have been based against the assertion on thread that NPHET are acting maliciously and their decision making is solely based on their earnings. That sir - is hysteria, and I am anti-that.

See, here's more of it - It's like politics - you're either one side or another - no room for anything else.

The only thing out of your list above that I said is that people who think that NPHET are only making decisions based on their earnings are fucking stupid, and I stand over that.

The rest of your reply is just shrieking.

Why are they leaking their plans to the press before consulting with the government?? I'd consider that extremely malicious, and no way to conduct business.

And you wonder why only Noxx shares your point of view?

And the majority of people in the country too.

Shh, they think this thread reflects reality

Why are they leaking their plans to the press before consulting with the government?? I'd consider that extremely malicious, and no way to conduct business.

Yeah, that's pretty unprofessional.

However, I am discussing their overall decisions, the ones that matter - aren't you?

Look. 4 people died with positive PCR test in August in a country of 4,900,000.

34 people died with positive PCR test in September in a country of 4,900,000.

Now, on average over the last 2 months (and I am sure if July is added this wont change that much at all) 0.0003% of our population died with positive PCR test.

And you want hundreds of thousands to go on PUP, schools to shut down as teachers are pushing for (who ironically enough come across quite uneducated to be able to calculate or interpret risk) and hundreds of thousands confined to their homes because of these cushy numbers?

You might not want that. But NPHET think thats an adequate response. And you are eager to defend NPHET. so please, based on factual numbers outlined above, tell us why should we put 1 single 20 year old working in a corner coffee shop on PUP for minimum of 3 weeks, let alone 100,000+?

However, I am discussing their overall decisions, the ones that matter - aren't you?

Do you think its possible that NPHET are doing other things quite unprofessionally also? Or thats their only short coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Of course you didn’t because you appear like the kind of person that doesn’t enjoying listening to other people.
    I’m not sure what your confusion with the Belarus comparison is- it’s an autocracy where one opinion is allowed. Your constant dismissals mirror that kind of thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Do you honestly believe that the majority are in favour of measures that would see hundreds of thousands out of work, struggling to pay rent and bills on 300 a week, and the inevitable rise in homelessness, failed business and mental health issues that will come along with it?

How so?

A tiny bit of power and they want to close the country down.

We know the mortality rate for Covid is 0.3%. We know it generally only effects those over 65 with chronic underlying conditions, bar a miniscule amount of outliers. Lockdown is a nuke to break open a peanut. Most people who get it won't ever know they had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Whens the meeting of the legion of doom ?

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe that the majority are in favour of measures that would see hundreds of thousands out of work, struggling to pay rent and bills on 300 a week, and the inevitable rise in homelessness, failed business and mental health issues that will come along with it?

There is another thread on boards where 47% of respondents (over 220 people) think NPHET should be disbanded.

With the other 53% (Nox has voted here I assume) are in favour of keeping them.

Let alone tolerating more crazy restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

What would you call NPHET's handling of crisis in regards to nursing & care homes at the start of the pandemic? Making statements that the nursing homes restricting visitors wasn't something they would recommend?

rusty cole wrote: »

Professor Sam McConkey has warned that we could see curfews under a Level Six lockdown.

:rolleyes:

Sam McConkey must be Gerry Killeens brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Shh, they think this thread reflects reality

I listened to a vox Pop on Radio 1 earlier. It appears based on a sample you and nox are wrong about the majority claim .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There is another thread on boards where 47% of respondents (over 220 people) think NPHET should be disbanded.

I don't want NPHET disbanded, their job is to focus solely on the medical side of things.

I'm not in favor of the government blindly taking their advice without having a shred of a workable plan, and then encouraging people to kick down on each other, while spouting ****e about "in this together"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Professor Sam McConkey has warned that we could see curfews under a Level Six lockdown.:rolleyes:
    Sam McConkey must be Gerry Killeens brother.

I wish they'd stop giving McConkey airtime! He's pursuing a zero covid strategy that just isn't workable for Ireland... I always put him on mute if I see him on TV..

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I don't want NPHET disbanded, their job is to focus solely on the medical side of things.

I'm not in favor of the government blindly taking their advice without having a shred of a workable plan, and then encouraging people to kick down on each other, while spouting ****e about "in this together"

In theory yes. In practice they are national public health emergency team.

Until there is an emergency, they really shouldnt be in existence. Waste of tax payers money.

Instead of focusing on medical side of things they should focus on how to improve our healthcare system

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Boards.ie does not reflect real-life.....

If it did the president of ireland would be Peter Casey

• Advertisement

Look. 4 people died with positive PCR test in August in a country of 4,900,000.

34 people died with positive PCR test in September in a country of 4,900,000.

Now, on average over the last 2 months (and I am sure if July is added this wont change that much at all) 0.0003% of our population died with positive PCR test.

And you want hundreds of thousands to go on PUP, schools to shut down as teachers are pushing for (who ironically enough come across quite uneducated to be able to calculate or interpret risk) and hundreds of thousands confined to their homes because of these cushy numbers?

You might not want that. But NPHET think thats an adequate response. And you are eager to defend NPHET. so please, based on factual numbers outlined above, tell us why should we put 1 single 20 year old working in a corner coffee shop on PUP for minimum of 3 weeks, let alone 100,000+?

Before I say anything - I don't want any of it to be honest, none of it! I want normality, Im sure you do too but unfortunately that's not an option.

They are taking more into account than the ratio of deaths to overall population to be fair. What exactly they take into account is probably out there to be viewed in the form of meeting minutes. I am concerned from watching the trend in other countries where cases spike and the people go scrambling afterward. One thing I know of and that does worry me is - hospital staff levels - never been more absent staff in recent memory - mostly due to either waiting for tests, waiting for results, positive tests, close contacts etc. This massively affects the ability of the health service to function whether on covid or other diseases.

I am not arguing for level 5 restrictions or any level in particular, I am arguing against the vitriol NPHET are receiving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement