Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    George Lee talking through lots of scary numbers from NPHET on the 6.1 there.

The one plus is that it looks even more like they're crying wolf again after today's events.
    Just 39 vacant icu beds is pretty scary...that isn't a huge amount of spare capacity.
    NPHET forecasted 50-70 in icu by 25th October due to covid....that would be a huge increase

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Perhaps, as counter intuitive as it may feel, me and you should go for a friendly lunch indoors, say Bunsen burgers to celebrate? Discuss restrictions. And how you've been a d*ck to me in this thread for the last 5 months? :)

I think you'll find the being 'a díck' thing is is a two way street. You are quite capable of giving as good as you get. I have no idea where Bunsen Burgers is but it sounds like a plan...that will probably never happen! You're Dublin yeah? I'm very very rarely in the big smoke. Thanks for the offer though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The last 24 hours demonstrated why NPHET needs to be disbanded urgently, and a new body of experts formed, which includes doctors with more than a Zero Covid view of things and many more experts that could examine the wider implications going forward. I really hope this is the Government finally taking charge of the situation and stopping this farce of NPHET dictating to the media and Government. The leaks from NPHET must stop NOW. The Government need to move forward with a viable plan for its people and society.
    I heard a Politician state on the radio this morning that the currnet median age of deaths was 88, which NPHET were forced to share when they finally appeared before the Oireachtas Committee. Pat Kenny and McConkey a disgrace as per usual, should be taken off air and their salaries cut. Then see how they feel about 'zero Covid' and 'zero money'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Penfailed wrote: »
    sounds like a plan. You're Dublin yeah? I'm very very rarely in the big smoke. Thanks for the offer though.

Awwww you guyysssssss!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The last 24 hours demonstrated why NPHET needs to be disbanded urgently, and a new body of experts formed, which includes doctors with more than a Zero Covid view of things and many more experts that could examine the wider implications going forward. I really hope this is the Government finally taking charge of the situation and stopping this farce of NPHET dictating to the media and Government. The leaks from NPHET must stop NOW. The Government need to move forward with a viable plan for its people and society.
    I heard a Politician state on the radio this morning that the currnet median age of deaths was 88, which NPHET were forced to share when they finally appeared before the Oireachtas Committee. Pat Kenny and McConkey a disgrace as per usual, should be taken off air and their salaries cut. Then see how they feel about 'zero Covid' and 'zero money'.

NPHET are't advocating a zero Covid approach otherwise we would still be back in April levels of restrictions.
    They are however looking at numbers and capacity. One is going one way and the other is going the opposite.
    Not sustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Level 3 refers to bars and restaurants remaining open but with further restrictions. I reckon the further restrictions are what we are seeing in Donegal. Outdoor for no more than 15.

Yeah, which is actually a Level 4 restriction.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

I don’t think it was a PR move, just a titanic misjudgment of public mood and government position from Tony. His ego got the better of him and he has some yes men in nphet who were happy to egg him on.

I’d say he has to go but this is the bloke who looked people in the eye after the cervical check scandal and refused to step down! Despite his own wife suffering from cancer! There is no effing way he’s going to step down. I think he’ll make a move for level 5 again in the coming weeks

You are right. It could also be sign of the government’s testicles descending.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

kippy wrote: »
    NPHET are't advocating a zero Covid approach otherwise we would still be back in April levels of restrictions.
    They are however looking at numbers and capacity. One is going one way and the other is going the opposite.
    Not sustainable.

I beg to differ, we remained closed in the first lockdown while Europe reopened all around us. The only way we got open by the end of June was because the Government changed the reopening plan from NPHET and brought it forward. Dr Holohan certainly seemed to have a zero Covid approach. Infact as soon as Varadkar stepped down as Taoiseach, he was off going rogue again re international travel. To the point people where becoming hostile to people with 'foreign' sounding accents in this country.
    NPHET and HSE wasted the last 6 months doing nothing and not preparing for the Winter, it isn't good enough. The Irish Public should never accept this kind of incompetence after all we've worked for in this country. Bankrupt the state and our futures because of incompetence??
    Time for the HSE to get their house in order, offer employees permanent contracts and get more capacity. Disband NPHET immediately - they are unconcerned with anything only Covid.
    I am still asking for the data to be released from NPHET re why restaurants/coffee shops should close after all they've spent to reopen.

I beg to differ, we remained closed in the first lockdown while Europe reopened all around us. The only way we got open by the end of June was because the Government changed the reopening plan from NPHET and brought it forward. Dr Holohan certainly seemed to have a zero Covid approach. Infact as soon as Varadkar stepped down as Taoiseach, he was off going rogue again re international travel. To the point people where becoming hostile to people with 'foreign' sounding accents in this country.
    NPHET and HSE wasted the last 6 months doing nothing and not preparing for the Winter, it isn't good enough. The Irish Public should never accept this kind of incompetence after all we've worked for in this country. Bankrupt the state and our futures because of incompetence??
    Time for the HSE to get their house in order, offer employees permanent contracts and get more capacity. Disband NPHET immediately - they are unconcerned with anything only Covid.
    I am still asking for the data to be released from NPHET re why restaurants/coffee shops should close after all they've spent to reopen.

We never tried to stop international travel or implemented any meaningful restrictions around it.
    That is core to going for a zero covid approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Level 3 for whole country is not approved by cabinet yet. Keep your chin ups.

Theres no way businesses in Co Mayo that have as much covid as Noxx has patience for protesters can go into lockdown.

• Advertisement

We never tried to stop international travel or implemented any meaningful restrictions around it.
    That is core to going for a zero covid approach.

That is absolutely untrue. There was a sustained campaign of harassment against the Irish public to 'cancel' their already paid for holidays abroad led by Dr Holohan. The media and Government / NPHET campaign was on every news bulletin, push notifications from papers with 'Cancel your holidays' headlines, and social media vilification of anyone daring to show up at the airport - with people commenting 'They deserve everything they get for travelling against advice'. No green list published until very late in summer so as to ensure families would not travel. Principals and Dept of Education wheeled out threatening families their children wouldn't be allowed in school should they dare travel overseas. Everyone I spoke to was terrified to even consider travelling due to the campaign and the mob mentality. It was and still is a disgrace.

518 cases and only moving to level 3. The government has bottled it. We will be at level 5 before October ends would have made much more sense to do it now than put it off a few more weeks this prolonging everything.

518 cases and only moving to level 3. The government has bottled it. We will be at level 5 before October ends would have made much more sense to do it now than put it off a few more weeks this prolonging everything.

Noxx nobody died today.

Isnt that a reason to be optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

gmisk wrote: »
    Just 39 vacant icu beds is pretty scary...that isn't a huge amount of spare capacity.
    NPHET forecasted 50-70 in icu by 25th October due to covid....that would be a huge increase

What's scary (and another scandal in the making) is that they've had 3/4 months now to prepare for the increased demands over the winter months and yet they've done nothing.

I even heard a commentator on the news suggest that they actually dismantled some of the testing infrastructure over the summer.. That's ridiculous if true!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Level 3 for whole country is not approved by cabinet yet. Keep your chin ups.

Theres no way businesses in Co Mayo that have as much covid as Noxx has patience for protesters can go into lockdown.

So hard too stay positive when you knw its going to be approved

That is absolutely untrue. There was a sustained campaign of harassment against the Irish public to 'cancel' their already paid for holidays abroad led by Dr Holohan. The media and Government / NPHET campaign was on every news bulletin, push notifications from papers with 'Cancel your holidays' headlines, and social media vilification of anyone daring to show up at the airport - with people commenting 'They deserve everything they get for travelling against advice'. No green list published until very late in summer so as to ensure families would not travel. Principals and Dept of Education wheeled out threatening families their children wouldn't be allowed in school should they dare travel overseas. Everyone I spoke to was terrified to even consider travelling due to the campaign and the mob mentality. It was and still is a disgrace.

People came into this country in their thousands daily at the height of this in April and many people did travel this July and August.
    We never implemented proper restrictions on travel or quarentine after travel in any way, nor did we work with the North on this.
    Zero covid is not the aim but neither is heading north of 500 cases per day and growing either.

Noxx nobody died today.

It's great that the deaths are extremely low. That's very positive. I hope it continues like that.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So hard too stay positive when you knw its going to be approved

Ah no.

You have to remember that politicians are pis*ed off from yesterdays leak.

They can do this just to give 2 fingers to NPHET. if they rejected level 5 and no talks about compromising at level 4... you could see a U Turn. Imagine. government finding that spine after 6 months

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Noxx nobody died today.

Deaths aren't worth considering. You have 3 months to report.

It's great that no deaths were reported but I wouldn't consider that no one died today as being true.

It's great that the deaths are extremely low. That's very positive. I hope it continues like that.

Well deaths have been low since June.

Why would that change? Because we test nearly 100,000 people per week and keep coming out with false positives?

• Advertisement

Deaths aren't worth considering. You have 3 months to report.

I dont know why but I dont think people are holding off the maximum 3 months before reporting deaths...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If there is a positive from the latest sh;tshow, it is that more people are starting the question the logic of these NPHET recommendations.

It's taken 7 months, billions of euros and hundreds of viable business being destroyed but we are finally getting something slightly better than the nodding-dog approach.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I dont know why but I dont think people are holding off the maximum 3 months before reporting deaths...

Recently we had 10 deaths reported. 8 were more than a month old. A lot of people were talking about 2 deaths being worth counting and it being a waste to include the deaths in the numbers.

I don't accept zero detths as being a start worth considering especially when we 8 more than a month old in day recently.

People came into this country in their thousands daily at the height of this in April and many people did travel this July and August.
    We never implemented proper restrictions on travel or quarentine after travel in any way, nor did we work with the North on this.
    Zero covid is not the aim but neither is heading north of 500 cases per day and growing either.

Do you speak for airports when you say 'Many did travel in July and August' because all of the facts state otherwise, including the threatened closure of regional airports such as Knock and published footfall from all airports in Ireland. All airports operated tiny schedules during the Pandemic with hardly any flights so the ascertain 'thousands' arrived daily at the height of this is completely false.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

True, hardly anyone I know went abroad this year, despite some of them losing out on thousands of euros.

I suspect many of them feel totally duped and pretty angry with themselves at this stage.

I had a lovely 3 week break in Spain and Italy this summer and it was great to get away from the insular hysterics of the Irish media for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Do you speak for airports when you say 'Many did travel in July and August' because all of the facts state otherwise, including the threatened closure of regional airports such as Knock and published footfall from all airports in Ireland. All airports operated tiny schedules during the Pandemic with hardly any flights so the ascertain 'thousands' arrived daily at the height of this is completely false.

I traveled in July and August. Two different destinations. Both Cork and Dublin airports were almost deserted. Very few people traveled.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

True, hardly anyone I know went abroad this year, despite some of them losing out on thousands of euros.

I suspect many of them feel totally duped and pretty angry with themselves at this stage.

I had a lovely 3 week break in Spain and Italy this summer and it was great to get away from the insular hysterics of the Irish media for a while.

I flew recently , the airport is a ghost town. One security lane open 4 people queuing in it. This was at 7am. The place is usually thronged

Comparatively no one is flying the, BS artists need to give it a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The 3rd secret of Fatima has been uncovered.

A median age of 88

That puts the dying with or of question to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

While crying about the Irish Economy and local businesses needing support ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Noxx nobody died today.

No dead good. Increase in hospital and in ICU not great

Also increase in over 65 is also not good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement