Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

518 cases and only moving to level 3. The government has bottled it. We will be at level 5 before October ends would have made much more sense to do it now than put it off a few more weeks this prolonging everything.

Gov told NPHET to F off back to the Lab. NPHET is a bunch of chancers gone mad with power.

Why doesn’t RTÉ and Newstalk challenge these so called experts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Disband NPHET immediately - they are unconcerned with anything only Covid.

Why do you think they were set up? It's their raison d'être.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

True, hardly anyone I know went abroad this year, despite some of them losing out on thousands of euros.

I suspect many of them feel totally duped and pretty angry with themselves at this stage.

I had a lovely 3 week break in Spain and Italy this summer and it was great to get away from the insular hysterics of the Irish media for a while.

Anyone who went abroad on holiday this is an absolute disgrace, a traitor to this country and that’s being mild about it.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Gov told NPHET to F off back to the Lab. NPHET is a bunch of chancers gone mad with power.

Why doesn’t RTÉ and Newstalk challenge these so called experts

Newstalk (Pat Kenny aside) does nothing but challenge them

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Anyone who went abroad on holiday this is an absolute disgrace, a traitor to this country and that’s being mild about it.

Ha ha.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I beg to differ, we remained closed in the first lockdown while Europe reopened all around us. The only way we got open by the end of June was because the Government changed the reopening plan from NPHET and brought it forward. Dr Holohan certainly seemed to have a zero Covid approach. Infact as soon as Varadkar stepped down as Taoiseach, he was off going rogue again re international travel. To the point people where becoming hostile to people with 'foreign' sounding accents in this country.
    NPHET and HSE wasted the last 6 months doing nothing and not preparing for the Winter, it isn't good enough. The Irish Public should never accept this kind of incompetence after all we've worked for in this country. Bankrupt the state and our futures because of incompetence??
    Time for the HSE to get their house in order, offer employees permanent contracts and get more capacity. Disband NPHET immediately - they are unconcerned with anything only Covid.
    I am still asking for the data to be released from NPHET re why restaurants/coffee shops should close after all they've spent to reopen.

That was why they are set up. It is there only remit. Nothing else. It is up to goverment to implement what policy the government want

That's a joke, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Comrade nox and his desire for martial law and the people's Republic of chireland, has the absolute cheek to use the word traitor.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I know we all now live in an open mental asylum but can the government not see this as a total contradiction in logic

https://www.thejournal.ie/pubs-level-three-5224480-Oct2020/

So people now eat OUTSIDE! How many colds infections are going to be directly associated to this considering its approaching 3-4 degrees outside temperatures at night .
    Utter mind boggling sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

dalyboy wrote: »
    I know we all now live in an open mental asylum but can the government not see this as a total contradiction in logic

So people now eat OUTSIDE! How many colds infections are going to be directly associated to this considering its approaching 3-4 degrees outside temperatures at night .
    Utter mind boggling sh1t

You do know your not forced to right. Also a lot of places have great outdoor seating with heaters and umbrellas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Utter mind boggling sh1t
    Obviously a problem for the homeless but otherwise just eat at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

*snort*

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

That was why they are set up. It is there only remit. Nothing else. It is up to goverment to implement what policy the government want

People keep criticising NPHET for being concerned with health only. That's what they're there for. Equally they have no role in running the HSE, getting greater ICU capacity or improving testing. They are advisers.

It was a power move by Tony that failed. Going to the media first was stupid considering the public view right now.

Think he thought he was the man with the earlier media attention last week

Agree! things have changed since Tony took his sabbatical and rode off on his white horse a few months ago. I have said from the beginning he is on some kind of ego/power trip with this. The nightly briefings, the ceremony of it all as he took to his chair............

I'd say he was chomping at the bit at home these last few months, watching Ronan Glynn on the 9pm News, missing the power and attention of it all. As soon as he stepped back in, on Day 1, WHAM up to level 5!! Arrogance or what! Well Tony things have changed, and we have changed in these last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

BoatMad wrote: »
    I flew recently , the airport is a ghost town. One security lane open 4 people queuing in it. This was at 7am. The place is usually thronged

Comparatively no one is flying the, BS artists need to give it a rest
    Comparatively isn't what I said.
    BS artists tend not to be able back up their posts with facts.
    160,000 passengers went one way or another through Irish airports in Q2 2020.
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/as/aviationstatisticsquarter22020/
    No doubt you'll have an issue with those figures...
    Yeah, it's a massive drop since last year but my point is if you are going for Zero covid that number has to be close to zero and if it's not you need to seriously ensure the 14 day quarantine is being enforced. Which hasn't been happening.
    Back to my point. NPHET are not going for a zero covid strategy. They are going for a don't overwhelm the health system.
    It's just unfortunate the other end of that equation hasn't been addressed in the past 6 months.

You do know your not forced to right. Also a lot of places have great outdoor seating with heaters and umbrellas

When did I suggest “forced to” ?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Obviously a problem for the homeless but otherwise just eat at home?

Sure , great solution. You should consider a career in politics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Utter mind boggling sh1t

You don't get a cold from being cold ffs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Hearing we are getting an extra bank holiday this year (21st December). This is the kind of stuff they are discussing right now in government. Defies belief. An extra bank holiday with half the country closed. Absolute idiots.

Akin to giving us free cheese during the last recession. An extra bank holiday for the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

True, I even spit in a healthcare workers face on the way to the airport.

Jesus christ. I don't care if you think that's acceptable sarcasm or not. I don't follow this thread much but you have stood out as being a center of absolute ignorance on the few times I have read through. Constantly calling others timid as if you're attitude is down to bravery. It's just idiotic ignorance, and this even as a sick joke?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

crossman47 wrote: »
    People keep criticising NPHET for being concerned with health only. That's what they're there for. Equally they have no role in running the HSE, getting greater ICU capacity or improving testing. They are advisers.

This. It's up to the government to govern and balance the competing interests. All complaints about too much restrictions or not enough restrictions should be addressed solely to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

crossman47 wrote: »
    Equally they have no role in running the HSE, getting greater ICU capacity or improving testing. They are advisers.

NPHET is made up of amongst others, senior HSE figures and doctors. It literally consists of many of the very people who run the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

kippy wrote: »
    We never tried to stop international travel or implemented any meaningful restrictions around it.
    That is core to going for a zero covid approach.

Do you know how many flights are hitting Dublin daily compared to last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Agree! things have changed since Tony took his sabbatical and rode off on his white horse a few months ago. I have said from the beginning he is on some kind of ego/power trip with this. The nightly briefings, the ceremony of it all as he took to his chair............

Its certainly not hard to know when Tony is in charge...

Major covid 19 outbreak at Portlaoise nursing home

kippy wrote: »
    Comparatively isn't what I said.
    BS artists tend not to be able back up their posts with facts.
    160,000 passengers went one way or another through Irish airports in Q2 2020.
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/as/aviationstatisticsquarter22020/
    No doubt you'll have an issue with those figures...
    Yeah, it's a massive drop since last year but my point is if you are going for Zero covid that number has to be close to zero and if it's not you need to seriously ensure the 14 day quarantine is being enforced. Which hasn't been happening.
    Back to my point. NPHET are not going for a zero covid strategy. They are going for a don't overwhelm the health system.
    It's just unfortunate the other end of that equation hasn't been addressed in the past 6 months.

No evidence air travel is a significant factor in the spread stays suggests 2-3 % of total cases resulting

NPHET have no idea what they are doing , they are just “ reacting “ throwing useless “ solutions “ that have already failed at the problem while all the time creating fear , doom and creating a nice dictatorial empire for themselves

Stand for election hoolahoops and let’s see how u get on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Jizique wrote: »
    Do you know how many flights are hitting Dublin daily compared to last year?

89% less than 2019 which is an almost total collapse of international travel in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Do restaurants, as well as pubs, have to do the outside eating/drinking thing also with these new restrictions?

You don't get a cold from being cold ffs :D

Your body has to fight to stay warm in damp and inhospitable conditions , that encourages all sorts of pathogens like flues colds an yes Covid

Force people into those environments and watch poor heath outcomes rocket

Not to mention alcohol is the absolute worst thing to give a person feeling cold

Europe is cracking up laughing at us. Wait till this one gets out

PS what about all the various bye-law bans on outdoor public drinking !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Its certainly not hard to know when Tony is in charge...

Major covid 19 outbreak at Portlaoise nursing home

"that routine coronavirus tests, carried out the previous day, had unfortunately proved positive in 18 cases."

Very interesting. Were 18 cases all staff? Otherwise it seems like even old people dont show symptoms?

These tests were not carried out because someone showed symptoms but rather routinely.... in a nursing home, that is full of old people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its about time that the Government grew a pair and put Tony and co back in their box, the guy just comes back and he wanted to push us back to where we were in March.

The people won't stand for it and the Government knows it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement