Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Hahaha Sam is on now

Lord jeasus

Talking about the underworld

Living with tiger in the house, doing circles above Gatwick... what’s next I wonder...

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

There were 13 people on ICU beds with positive covid PCR test on 15 September.
    Today there are 23 people on ICU beds with positive PCR test.

in 20 days, we've had 10 extra people go on ICU beds with covid.

Now, for each one of those individuals, 18,000 will go on PUP tomorrow onward for a minimum of 3 weeks.

I am absolutely fuming. This is beyond madness. How can the "cabinet" vote for this nonsense??

People arent even bloody dying thats the most astonishing thing. Now we base our decisions on models (how did that go last time around) and pure fear of "ohh our health service is poor every year, lets be extra careful this year, put hundreds of thousands out of work and then look for IMF funding for our healthcare next year"

Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

BoatMad wrote: »
    Gov told NPHET to F off back to the Lab. NPHET is a bunch of chancers gone mad with power.

Why doesn’t RTÉ and Newstalk challenge these so called experts

Too backwards and stupid. The irish medua failing, is actually a serious threat to the country. Stop buying or subscribing to any of their echo chamber agenda driven bs!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Only getting to watch Michael's speech now. Any details on how they plan to increase enforcement of the "advice"?

It's all still advisory is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Only getting to watch Michael's speech now. Any details on how they plan to increase enforcement of the "advice"?

It's all still advisory is it not?

Yes, and it always will be thanks to the constitution. As Ryanair's legal case recently showed with regards to foreign travel (I strongly assume foreign travel, and domestic travel would fare on similar grounds)

The phrase he used is "enforce the guidelines". Which pretty much summarizes the level of IQ in the "cabinet" currently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Could watch this on a loop for hours. Briliiant.

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1313231457406595082?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Lundstram wrote: »
    Since as long as I can remember, our health service has been a laughing stock. Brendan Gleeson went on the Late Late Show one night and sat there crying at the treatment of his dying mother. No bed for her. She died on a trolley. No dignity. Government after government promised to tackle this but their solution was to pump billions upon billions without improvement.

€21bn was sunk into the HSE in 2019, we currently have one of the lowest rates of ICU beds in Europe. Ireland, the richest country in Europe per capita. Highest number of college graduates in Europe per capita. Voted as 4th best country in Europe to live, extremely high standard of living.

Here we are now, 7 months into a global pandemic and our government have done little to improve our ICU shortfall, they've done nothing really.

Governments kicked the HSE can down the road year after year, election after election and now it laid bare for all to see. It's caught up with us.

We will now pay for this in the worst way possible, our livelihoods and our freedom.

Whats scares me most is not Covid19, not money but how easily the vast majority of Irish people give up their freedom.

No questions.

We get what we vote for. At the end of the day Paddy Irishman/Patricia Irishwoman votes for whoever's will line their pockets most. We are caught in a spiral where we have hopeless public services, young people can't afford homes and we have 'full employment' where swathes of people are on the bread line working low paid jobs and are living in squalor. COVID has exposed all the rotten festering ills of our society, one where we have modern day slaves working in meat factories and people more or less imprisoned in direct provision. One where a good portion of the general public cant control themselves to suppress a deadly virus for the benefit of older generations who built much of the wealth that we now enjoy. Ireland is a great country but we badly need to hit the reset button and reevaluate what's important.

Watching Leo on Claire Byrne now (god she's awful as an interviewer - I'm no fan of Leo but STFU and let him answer your question)

He just threw Tony and NPHET under the bus in the first 2 minutes.

Leo going off-script again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

We even managed without takeaway from March to June

Hero right here

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Yes, and it always will be thanks to the constitution. As Ryanair's legal case recently showed with regards to foreign travel (I strongly assume foreign travel, and domestic travel would fare on similar grounds)

The phrase he used is "enforce the guidelines". Which pretty much summarizes the level of IQ in the "cabinet" currently.

Yes all very vague - another quote is ‘renewed commitment to enforcement of restrictions’, which I reckon signals no further legislation just continuation of any current legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Lundstram wrote: »
    Could watch this on a loop for hours. Briliiant.

Hope he will say the same for the 206,000 people who are on the PUP now and the 1000's more in Aviation, tourism/hospitality sectors who are also struggling with paying mortgages, bills etc...

There were 13 people on ICU beds with positive covid PCR test on 15 September.
    Today there are 23 people on ICU beds with positive PCR test.

in 20 days, we've had 10 extra people go on ICU beds with covid.

Now, for each one of those individuals, 18,000 will go on PUP tomorrow onward for a minimum of 3 weeks.

I am absolutely fuming. This is beyond madness. How can the "cabinet" vote for this nonsense??

People arent even bloody dying thats the most astonishing thing. Now we base our decisions on models (how did that go last time around) and pure fear of "ohh our health service is poor every year, lets be extra careful this year, put hundreds of thousands out of work and then look for IMF funding for our healthcare next year"

Christ

100% , also I'll bet the people in hospital or even ICU were not admitted because of covid, ,many are sick and the levels of covid are such that an ambulance man could have given it to them unwittingly on the way to hospital. if the levels of people on the trollies are anything like last Flu season and the community levels of covid are rising, then of course people in hospital will register for covid insofar as many people who go for an STI test will register positive for Chlamydia as it's rife in the population and is being tested for at that moment in time. in the 80's if you were high risk you wore a condom and cut down your sexual partners etc, you realized you were high risk or in a high risk group for HIV. I dint see a blanket ban on everytone having unprtected sex

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Watching Leo on Claire Byrne now (god she's awful as an interviewer - I'm no fan of Leo but STFU and let him answer your question)

He just threw Tony and NPHET under the bus in the first 2 minutes.

Leo going off-script again?

That arsehole should have been sacked long ago- he belongs under the bus. Along with the rest of Nphet. Varadkar is spot on here, Sunday night was a national disgrace.

Do you have confidence in Nphet- "only to dispense medical advice..." Good man Varadkar

Sounds like a long overdue re-jig of Nphet is on the cards. Time to end the farce ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Leo Varadkar gave a great interview, Claire Byrne was disappointing, interrupting and not letting him just say his piece. He stated very clearly that Paul Reid had not been consulted re HSE capacity. This is shocking. I hope this whole episode has finally woken the Government up and into action. We would not have money to pay the bills should we just have done the outlandish, hard lockdown, with no guarantee of an end in sight. Not to mention being completely out of step with our EU neighbours.

Leo Varadkar gave a great interview, Claire Byrne was disappointing, interrupting and not letting him just say his piece. He stated very clearly that Paul Reid had not been consulted re HSE capacity. This is shocking. I hope this whole episode has finally woken the Government up and into action. We would not have money to pay the bills should we just have done the outlandish, hard lockdown, with no guarantee of an end in sight. Not to mention being completely out of step with our EU neighbours.

Byrne is as thick as two short planks. So no surprises there

Alison O'Connor - we feel like we've moved on from all in it together- no **** sherlock. These idiots are in an echo chamber, the people are not

Leo is a lot more polished and better at the media stuff, but he's still coming across a lot more competently and assured than Micheal only half an hour before.

I still don't rate the guy personally but he's better at the clear messaging which is essential in this case

Leo is a lot more polished and better at the media stuff, but he's still coming across a lot more competently and assured than Micheal only half an hour before.

I still don't rate the guy personally but he's better at the clear messaging which is essential in this case

He balanced the message tonight with all what we've been saying here- none of these clowns will ever be on the PUP etc.

• Advertisement

We are all sick and tired of lectures from the medical profession (all on full pay and extra opportunity to earn more money).

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    He balanced the message tonight with all what we've been saying here- none of these clowns will ever be on the PUP etc.

He dodged the Garda enforcement question though. Looks like just increased visibility but not necessarily more powers although there was a vague reference to a new fines structure?

He dodged the Garda enforcement question though. Looks like just increased visibility but not necessarily more powers although there was a vague reference to a new fines structure?

We'll cross that bridge. On the side of unenforceable at this stage, buy in is gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Do you have confidence in Nphet- "only to dispense medical advice..." Good man Varadkar
    What else was he going to say? That is what they're there for.

Easy on the eye though ;)

eleventh wrote: »
    What else was he going to say? That is what they're there for.

Well tell Nphet that- their stunt Sunday was well beyond the realms of mere medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I thought Claire Byrne was great during the Feb election moderating the debates between the political leaders, but I find with emotive issues like this - she struggles to stay unbiased when asking questions in the interview.

I thought Claire Byrne was great during the Feb election moderating the debates between the political leaders, but I find with emotive issues like this - she struggles to stay unbiased when asking questions in the interview.

Yes she's overly emotional, takes emotionally led positions and is blinkered by them. Woeful journalism but standard RTE fare these days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Didn't see the show but that twitter clip of Varadkar is impressive.

He didn't buckle. Back bone solid. I've also been impressed with Michael McNamara of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone else read Tony Holohans letter to gov justifying the move to level 5? It will be interesting to see if these predictions turn out be accurate.

https://twitter.com/laurahogantv/status/1313215931649265664?s=21

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement