Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MadYaker wrote: »
    Anyone else read Tony Holohans letter to gov justifying the move to level 5? It will be interesting to see if these predictions turn out be accurate.

https://twitter.com/laurahogantv/status/1313215931649265664?s=21

Yep. Someone is going to be wrong. Not sure who though. If it's the government they will will fall and we be in a massive lockdown for about 8 weeks.

Hopefully its NPHET that's wring

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yep. Someone is going to be wrong. Not sure who though. If it's the government they will will fall and we be in a massive lockdown for about 8 weeks.

The well being of the economy is far more important

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The well being of the economy is far more important

Not at all costs and remember after the last pandemic we had a boom

Not at all costs and remember after the last pandemic we had a boom

Did we? What year was that?

Did we? What year was that?

The Roaring Twenties (sometimes stylized as the Roarin' 20s) refers to the decade of the 1920s in Western society and Western culture. It was a period of economic prosperity with a distinctive cultural edge in the United and Europe

• Advertisement

The Roaring Twenties (sometimes stylized as the Roarin' 20s) refers to the decade of the 1920s in Western society and Western culture. It was a period of economic prosperity with a distinctive cultural edge in the United and Europe

That's interesting, thought it was largely due to a deregulation of the financial sector, which lead to 29, that's interesting though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

What they need is a lot more ICU beds in Case there is a surge. If they sort that out they should be in a better position. As will those needing the beds needless to say.

What they need is a lot more ICU beds in Case there is a surge. If they sort that out they should be in a better position. As will those needing the beds needless to say.

Probably more than just basic beds, they probably need more equipment and trained staff to deal with it all, I'd imagine it's a lot more complicated than the simple bed

That's interesting, thought it was largely due to a deregulation of the financial sector, which lead to 29, that's interesting though

Every boom has a crash. That's the cycle

Every boom has a crash. That's the cycle

Tis true unfortunately, but they happen for a reason, and generally, it's human created, and sometimes it's intentional

• Advertisement

Tis true unfortunately, but they happen for a reason, and generally, it's human created, and sometimes it's intentional

Always, we get over confident and never learn from our mistakes. History repeats itself.

Always, we get over confident and never learn from our mistakes. History repeats itself.

Or maybe we don’t truly understand the complexity of our economic systems and how human behaviour intertwines with them,causing these outcomes

Or maybe we don’t truly understand the complexity of our economic systems and how human behaviour intertwines with them,causing these outcomes

Maybe. I think we just get greedy and the poor then suffers more

Maybe. I think we just get greedy and the poor then suffers more

Greed definitely is an element, but I believe it's far more complex than just that, most people I've ever met, are not overly greedy, they just want a happy comfortable life, the poor will probably always suffer, unfortunately, and the disturbing truth is, there's plenty to go around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

sligeach wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense speculation above. NPHET care about the health of the general population, that’s it. The government have to worry about finances, we're already in a hole, another lock-down would probably cripple some parts of the economy, beyond recovery. The government have gambled, are they right, well that is the question?

Speculation or not, the end product is that the government came out of this smelling roses - for the first time in a long time. And that is what I expected to happen, whatever the underlying causes. Also, the nphet task, as far as I understand, is to deal with the covid 19 only. They do not extend their analysis into looking what impact there is on the the likes of cancer patients, mental health etc. In my view the government had only one option but to reject their recommendation.
    Also interesting to see how having Tony back has changed the dynamics within nphet. Within the space of one day their stance change drastically as they proposed a radical level 5. How in a group of 40 people one guy can swing a decision vote this much? The processes of their decision making must be either dysfunctional or a very narrow group of people pulls all the strings. Either way - that is dangerous.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Leo saying all that is grand, but he was Taoiseach when the original restrictions were put in place. He's still a naughty boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I love how the opposition aren't happy with the gov decision.

Of course they aren't.

Had they went to level 5, would have been wrong thing to do.
    To level 4? Would be wrong thing to do.
    To level 3, that's the wrong thing to do.
    Stay at level 2, that's wrong thing to do.

It's always win win if you are the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

NIMAN wrote: »

Of course they aren't.

isn't that the whole raison d'etre of Sinn Fein?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Leo saying all that is grand, but he was Taoiseach when the original restrictions were put in place. He's still a naughty boy!

Leo always says what is right for Leo. That hasn't changed.

Listening to McGrath being asked about his comments on the way into Cabinet this morning, I think he (Leo) may have gone off script a bit as the media are running with this idea of a big split in the relationship between Government and NPHET

But, like a stopped clock, he's occasionally right - as he was last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Of course they aren't.

You are describing the very point of an opposition party in any government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Dr Jack Lambert from the Mater hospital on Newstalk, reckons the 2nd surge can be dealt with just like the 1st, said Ireland has refused to follow science regarding restrictions etc

Cant figure out the travel restrictions that were in place for the Summer.

Hes probably going to have to resign now.

Plank Kenny wants penalty points for lack of adherence, to be inforced by the very organisation he believes are not following restrictions themselves. He also cant figure out why Ireland isnt exaclty like Paris or Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

funnydoggy wrote: »

Varadkar will go whatever way the wind is blowing.

He is happy to throw Holohan and NPHET under the bus because he saw the public reaction the the Level 5 letter.

He has turned FG into SF without the terrorists.

All surface, no depth - I have zero confidence in him - it is the people who are finally saying enough is enough.

Varadkar will go whatever way the wind is blowing.

He is happy to throw Holohan and NPHET under the bus because he saw the public reaction the the Level 5 letter.

He has turned FG into SF without the terrorists.

All surface, no depth - I have zero confidence in him - it is the people who are finally saying enough is enough.

Listening to the radio this morning there are a lot of people not too happy that we haven't gone to level 5 so I would be careful to claim "the people" are saying we have enough - some who are ignorant, selfish or simply dont understand the seriousness of the virus spreading are but people with an understanding of the situation know full well restrictions are necessary and more restrictions than level 3 will likely be required sooner or later.

I'm a FG voter and a big fan of Leo in general but not too happy with his interview last night if Im honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Plank Kenny wants penalty points for lack of adherence, to be inforced by the very organisation he believes are not following restrictions themselves. He also cant figure out why Ireland isnt exaclty like Paris or Madrid.

Has Pat K lost it in his latter years, or is he just trying a deliberately contentious rhetoric to draw listenership?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

topper75 wrote: »
    Has Pat K lost it in his latter years, or is he just trying a deliberately contentious rhetoric to draw listenership?

He works for Newstalk.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Of course they aren't.

Are you aware that in the run up the GE Varadkar said making MM taoiseach would be like putting John Delaney back in charge of the FAI?

And what did Varadkar do after the GE? He made MM taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dr Jack Lambert from the Mater hospital on Newstalk, reckons the 2nd surge can be dealt with just like the 1st, said Ireland has refused to follow science regarding restrictions etc

Can you elaborate on that please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Cant figure out the travel restrictions that were in place for the Summer.

Hes probably going to have to resign now.

I didnt hear this but its great to see another doctor have the balls to come out with a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Can you elaborate on that please?

We didnt follow Europes lead.

We ended up being Europes most restricted country all Summer, despite hospitals being empty.

Incidently I believe we are still Europes most restricted country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Kenny was waffling on yesterday asking for kids not wearing masks on their way home from school to be rounded up in paddy wagons, he has been asking for a curfew to be introduced for the last few weeks.

He has completely lost the plot on this and even Luke O'Neill has to try rein him in most mornings

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement