Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKFe0-iL1kw

I like this Cummins fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

With respect, did you read the letter that was sent to the Government?
    It specifically says that if there isn't a Level 5 lockdown for a period of 4 weeks now, and if there is a more gradual approach to the raising of levels, then there will be need for a Level 5 lockdown for a longer period in the near future.

If the government are right and we don't have a Level 5 in a few weeks time, then NPHET were wrong. If NPHET were right and things don't improve over the next few weeks and we see an imposition of Level 5 then the government were wrong.

I am not speculating on who's right or wrong. I'm just saying there appears to be a specific situation where one side has betted the opposite of the other.

I understand your point, and this is what NPHET is meant to do.
    What I suggest could happen is that in 3-4 weeks NPHET will recommend level 5 and the government will say: no, thank you. Not sure how likely this is but theoretically it is a possibility. That's why in the end of my post I mentioned that it will be interesting to see what happens in 3-4 weeks.
    I just hope that the situation becomes more stable and level 5 can be off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Haha this man is a ranting lunatic.

The public realise now his only purpose is to lighten the mood.

Hes not the only one to loose credibility during Covid

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/covid-19-circuit-break-5225075-Oct2020/

Some article for a med doctor. Big on fear and ideology.
    I'm sure it was originally full of data and the editor just took it out. :cool:
    Or possibly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

John_Rambo wrote: »
    We can't let the academics make decisions, they've no real practical relevance and only one narrow remit and are there to advice on health matters only. The government governs and has to take in to consideration education, employment and other important things. A lot of politicians have real life experience in business and other professions and are better suited to make decisions like this.

Most politicians are ex public service, so don't know how the real world works.

You need people from medical experience and business experience.
    The guy from Trinity is one I would have on the team.
    Some experience person from Food industry.
    An CEO from IT and Accountant Industry.

Guards not getting any more powers, can only advise you about guidelines, they have no legal basis to stop you crossing the county border or doing what you want in your own home.

They shouldn't need the powers. We are big enough ourselves to get these numbers down.

• Advertisement

The extra bank holiday is a smart idea. Takes the pressure off the public transport system at xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They shouldn't need the powers. We are big enough ourselves to get these numbers down.

I'm all for personal responsibility. I should be heading to level 1 only now thrown into level 3 with no idea how to get back. The Government were very wrong to punish places that did the right thing. They've completely lost people in those county's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The extra bank holiday is a smart idea. Takes the pressure off the public transport system at xmas

Tony H hasnt a notion of allowing the nation an extra bank holiday.

Employers already struggling have to foot the bill for letting staff off now on one of the busiest days of the year in retail.
    If this happens it just shows what kind of clowns are in charge.

It was renewed for public transport. I haven't seen anything renewing it for shops.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19

Its confirmed here.

He is exactly right, going to level 3 was a cop out and will do more damage by dragging everything out for much longer when we do eventually go to level 5.

• Advertisement

Employers already struggling have to foot the bill for letting staff off now on one of the busiest days of the year in retail.

It will actually encourage people to take more days off from work that week, instead of carrying days over and costing the company more in forecasting the following year.!!!

As for Retail, most shopping will be done before December this year as people will not leave it to chance. Most will be done online by majority, Symths online had to stop yesterday due to the demand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19

Its confirmed here.

He is exactly right, going to level 3 was a cop out and will do more damage by dragging everything out for much longer when we do eventually go to level 5.

Noxx, what would you chose, saving 1 life of an 80 year old man or saving 100,000 jobs?

Noxx, what would you chose, saving 1 life of an 80 year old man or saving 100,000 jobs?

Saving a life obviously.

I'm all for personal responsibility. I should be heading to level 1 only now thrown into level 3 with no idea how to get back. The Government were very wrong to punish places that did the right thing. They've completely lost people in those county's now.

Where is that?

How do we stop the other counties from coming to your place where they could increase the spread of the virus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Its confirmed here.

By confirmed, do you mean not mentioned at all in the actual legislation??

2. These Regulations shall remain in operation until the 5th day of October 2020.

Saving a life obviously.

So you think that 100,000 people who will lose jobs from your choice will go on with their lives just fine?

It will actually encourage people to take more days off from work that week, instead of carrying days over and costing the company more in forecasting the following year.!!!

As for Retail, most shopping will be done before December this year as people will not leave it to chance. Most will be done online by majority, Symths online had to stop yesterday due to the demand

It's madness, it will still be busy at Xmas, driving everyone online is a fantastic idea, I hope there's still a country worth saving next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It's madness, it will still be busy at Xmas, driving everyone online is a fantastic idea, I hope there's still a country worth saving next year.

Its going to be interesting.

There is going to be a chasm of a divide among the working class.

Those in public sector who will likely have pay rises this year vs the private sector who's job losses are among the worst in Europe.

Covid is a bit like Gout, its a rich man's disease in Ireland

Those in public sector who will likely have pay rises this year vs the private sector who's job losses are among the worst in Europe.

Fintan I am sure you saw it, but listen to 8:10 onward

That normal life that we all crave for. And yet no mass graves in Stockholm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Public sector doesn't generate wealth so when all the private sector jobs dry up and less taxes are paid all round then who pays for all the pay rises they keep getting?

Retail never closes for Bank holidays. People who are off are more likley to go to shops if they have a day off thus it should help retail not the opposite.

Personably it wont make much difference to me, I always finish up for Christmas well before the 22nd, looking at the way days are falling this year I'll probably finish on the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Fintan I am sure you saw it, but listen to 8:10 onward

That normal life that we all crave for. And yet no mass graves in Stockholm...

Im loving that talk radio channel too.

Im wondering though are they just purveyors of common sense with balanced reportage or will other posters contention be that the youtube algorithm got me pegged as a right wing brexit loving Farage fellating immigrant hating anti mask gammon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

Can someone tell me when we started referring to doctors and healthcare professionals as "medics"? Before the pandemic the only time I ever heard this term was in war movies. Is it all part and parcel of the "front line" gibberish and war against an invisible enemy nonsense that many people have bought into?

Retail never closes for Bank holidays. People who are off are more likley to go to shops if they have a day off thus it should help retail not the opposite.

If they don't close the staff are entitled to extra pay or a day off in lou. I'll let you know on the 23rd if it was a good idea. As it is i'm not seeing the benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

He is one of the biggest gobsh1tes out of all the doomers. He is enojoying the attention he gets far too much but the reason he is used by the media is pure clickbait reasons as they make triggering headlines for pro and anti restrictions groups alike.

Remember, he is one of the zero-covid dogmatics, equivalent to anti-vaxxer/5g/flat Earth conspiracy loons.

EDIT: The overwhelming response on The Journal comments is that he is a loon; that is reassuring at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So refreshing to see that Leo is seeing the big picture finally and not succumbing to the pressure of the bleeding hearts. It's only what we have all been saying for months, that there is more to consider than public health, yet we were called heartless and ageist. He said it best "we have to think of the public interest not just covid"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Most politicians are ex public service, so don't know how the real world works.

Who told you that?
    you need people from medical experience and business experience.

Well, Leo Varadkar trained as a doctor (with medical experience), Pascal Donohoe is ex Procter & Gamble, Eamon Ryan is an entrepreneur, Coveny was an agriculture adviser and farm manager, McEntee was in Citibank etc... Very few are ex-civil servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Saving a life obviously.
    So one life saved. And 10 lives lost due to committing suicide as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Saving a life obviously.

So are you implying we should have lockdowns every winter to curb deaths?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement