Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options
1324325326327328330»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The more people that think it’s a law the better.

Well they've been lying all along, maybe another white lie won't hurt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

uli84 wrote: »
    Are hotels operating? i’d like to avail of stay and spend scheme

Not for leisure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

bush wrote: »
    Not for leisure

Im sure you are definitely going on essential work related business and need to bring your family as their is no childcare..

There was a few hotels who opened through the initial lockdown but only for essential workers. I know for a fact that the vetting on who was an essential worker was quite lax and some did a brisk trade and actually did quite well during the first lockdown. (disclaimer I have a bnb and cleaned up during the lockdown with hotels closed and some hotels did too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

bush wrote: »
    Not for leisure

Haha great scheme so, guess i’m flying to Poland so in 2 weeks

Also another useless leaflet about living with Covid delivered today, shame about wasting money really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

uli84 wrote: »
    Are hotels operating? i’d like to avail of stay and spend scheme

I was just told no as I checked in tonight.

Shut from tonight on in Mayo and I would be considered an essential worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Ridiculous media articles criticising Varadkar’s criticisms of NPHET. What sort of agenda do they have? Why are they coming for the Government who have actually decided they want to govern 6 months into the pandemic. Why aren’t they talking about all the jobs the Government have saved for the moment? Why aren’t they suggesting we form a new advisory body to replace NPHET or add more expertise from other areas.
    But no, let’s ramble on about how Varadkar did the right thing and try to find a way to vilify him for it...this country’s media need serious investigation and reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have been asking for months when we will start to see the huge upsurge in deaths that are supposed to accompany the rise in cases, those cases have been rising since the end of July after all.

The lag used to be weeks, then I was told it was actually months before the deaths would come. Now it has been months so I guess those goalposts will have to be moved again soon.

Condolences to all who have lost their lives but the simple fact is that covid deaths remain statistically low and predominant within a particular age group. I would suggest we would be better of accepting that ****ing fact and acting accordingly instead of wasting time and money where it is not needed.

And that's the truth of it. We've had the incubation periods, the increase in cases, and the treatment periods over the last 5/6 months now... And yet the deaths are still a handful per week, still under 2000 overall and many people continue to show no symptoms in the first place.

Absolutely do I feel sorry for those who have died and those statistically even fewer who've ended up with after-effects, but the reality (as I and others keep saying) is that CV-19 is not as deadly as was first feared - which is a GOOD THING! This doesn't mean that some people aren't at risk, and that they shouldn't protect themselves (absolutely they should, and be supported in doing so), but it continues to validate the evidence that this virus poses little to no risk for the vast majority of people.

The increasingly far more concerning thing is not just the effects that the constant fear and hysteria is having on those who are being forced from their jobs or restricted from their friends, loved ones and social outlets, but the worrying effect it's having on those who cannot see the above for themselves and actively resist it, attacking others for calling out the actual reality of the situation.

It's causing increasing division not just between us randomers on Boards and other social media, but among friends, colleagues and people in general. It's exposing a very nasty undercurrent and the damaging influence the constant flood of negativity and analysis is having on people's ability to step back and look at the situation for themselves. The Government/media have made celebrities out of medical advisors and are severely limiting the exposure of alternative views unless they are simultaneously belittled as cranks or extremists.

This latter point and the impact on our society is something that we will all be dealing with long after CV-19

Ridiculous media articles criticising Varadkar’s criticisms of NPHET. What sort of agenda do they have? Why are they coming for the Government who have actually decided they want to govern 6 months into the pandemic. Why aren’t they talking about all the jobs the Government have saved for the moment? Why aren’t they suggesting we form a new advisory body to replace NPHET or add more expertise from other areas.
    But no, let’s ramble on about how Varadkar did the right thing and try to find a way to vilify him for it...this country’s media need serious investigation and reform.

Because they are representing the views of very large numbers of people in the country who don’t want nphet replaced and don’t agree with the government not taking their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Because they are representing the views of very large numbers of people in the country who don’t want nphet replaced and don’t agree with the government not taking their advice.

If that’s the case why isn’t there a big public push to impose L5 lockdown? I certainly don’t see or hear one. A vocal small minority of Covid moralisers and assorted hypochondriacs want it I’m sure. The vast majority have had enough and are happy to do their own risk assessments without pointless quangos like Nphet nannying them

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement