Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Main Street is operating. Wall Street is operating, albeit from workers' living rooms. Domestic tourism is booming. You are talking about stuff around the edges.

We’re a very small country of under 5 million. We don’t have the economic muscle that large economies like U.K. or Germany would have to sustain domestic tourism. Come September places are going to be very quiet as schools return.
    Main st is just about surviving. There’s a post lockdown bounce but I’ve spoken to a few and things are not good. For example one retailer sells a lot of clothes for weddings events etc. Things are very quiet after a few busy weeks post reopening.
    So I can assure you it’s pretty far from around the edges if business struggle with cash flow and to pay suppliers it feeds right the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I dont disagree with you. But that is different to saying that "vast swathes of the economy are shuttered". I believe that we have the resources to deliver social welfare to those impacted by what you describe, well into next year

Isn’t there something like 300-400 k still in the PUP? That not vast enough for you? We have the resource through borrowing (for now) but that’s not the same as generating them

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Phase 4 needs to happen on the 10th for economic reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Pubs, clubs and entire entertainment industry. That’s a LOT of people. Also the airlines and the entire tourism sector.

Retail was closed for several months and is still not back fully. Restrictions on numbers in shops, masks, visors, no changing rooms = less customers.

Same issues for restaurants and pubs acting as restaurants. Social distancing etc equals less customers and sales down.

The CMO is saying tonight that restaurants should only have 50 people including staff.

Lots of office workers support these industries in some way, shape or form and will eventually be impacted. Some have already gotten pay cuts.

Difficult to see how the whole thing won’t eventually collapse.

People won't attend these things until we know it's safe. It's not right now but let them open, pubs will shut themselves down as wont have the staff who will work 2 nights a week

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Phase 4 needs to happen on the 10th for economic reasons

Phase 4 can happen, but the people wont be there to support it. People are refusing to use public transport so city pubs are in trouble.

Pubs wont get the numbers to keep them open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Phase 4 can happen, but the people wont be there to support it. People are refusing to use public transport so city pubs are in trouble.

Pubs wont get the numbers to keep them open.

As was said earlier by someone in the initial openings will have big numbers

Personal responsibility is major

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

There is 2 groups of people, those believing the restrictions saved lives or whatever bolix the media are telling them.

The second group are able to think for themselves

I think you forgot to add this :pac: or at least I hope you did?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Cant see pubs opening, if anything a step back could happen. Numbers are increasing and there is a growing number where we don't where they are coming from

schools will never reopen so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

The main worry is some people aren't stepping forward to get the test or self isolating.

Our neighbour is a taxi driver and even if pubs open he wont go back, that's the feeling from alot he said.

lol a taxi driver hope he has his car shielded more gash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

It’s 11 years since swine flu. All I remember from that was the hand washing, sanitizer and coughing and sneezing etiquette campaigns feck all else after that.
    Anyone have any figures for it for ireland or point me in the right direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I think they'll have to open the pubs otherwise people will turn around and say how can we keep the pubs closed and open the schools?

I know they're 2 completely different scenarios but you would think pubs would be at a lower risk of spreading covid than schools with all the restrictions in place so I'm assuming that they'll open the pubs but I could be wrong.

Well, if people are afraid to go to the pub then surely people will be too afraid to send their children to school also?

And maybe too afraid to work too.

Eventually you’ll probably have to though. Especially if you have assets that can be taken from you.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    It’s 11 years since swine flu. All I remember from that was the hand washing, sanitizer and coughing and sneezing etiquette campaigns feck all else after that.
    Anyone have any figures for it for ireland or point me in the right direction

Google's your friend

https://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/others/ireland-pandemics-covid19

According to the link above 3,000 people had it in Ireland and there were 20 deaths.

Well, if people are afraid to go to the pub then surely people will be too afraid to send their children to school also?

Eventually you’ll probably have to though. Especially if you have assets that can be taken from you.

Yeah as I've said before we need to learn to live along side the virus until a safe vaccine is made.

That could take another year maybe less maybe more.

I think they'll have to open the pubs otherwise people will turn around and say how can we keep the pubs closed and open the schools?

I know they're 2 completely different scenarios but you would think pubs would be at a lower risk of spreading covid than schools with all the restrictions in place so I'm assuming that they'll open the pubs but I could be wrong.

None of the latest clusters are from pubs/restaurants. The media/NPHET would be dying to point it out if they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

The priority is the schools

I can't see both opening round the same time , they'll want to see the spike from the schools opening first

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I guess it comes down to what they think is important and unavoidable and what can be sacrificed if needs be.

I would say kids going to school is important and people going to work to make a living is also important.

Going to the pub is less essential, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

When it comes to pubs, I don't think there's a huge difference in having "restaurant" pubs open versus having all pubs open. A lot of people can already go to a pub if they want, so it might make more sense just to open them all. That way smaller rural pubs could open if they wanted to as well (obviously with the social distancing restrictions in place).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Pubs, clubs and entire entertainment industry. That’s a LOT of people. Also the airlines and the entire tourism sector.

Retail was closed for several months and is still not back fully. Restrictions on numbers in shops, masks, visors, no changing rooms = less customers.

Same issues for restaurants and pubs acting as restaurants. Social distancing etc equals less customers and sales down.

The CMO is saying tonight that restaurants should only have 50 people including staff.

Lots of office workers support these industries in some way, shape or form and will eventually be impacted. Some have already gotten pay cuts.

Difficult to see how the whole thing won’t eventually collapse.

No matter how often you keep banging your drum about them clubs will not be reopening on 10th August or any other time in the near future. Sectors of the entertainment industry that primarily operate outdoors may eventually reopen at some stage with the appropriate measures in place but IMO there will be no large scale indoor events for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭vid36

Large scale indoor events are taking place nowhere, not even in Sweden

• Advertisement

No matter how often you keep banging your drum about them clubs will not be reopening on 10th August or any other time in the near future. Sectors of the entertainment industry that primarily operate outdoors may eventually reopen at some stage with the appropriate measures in place but IMO there will be no large scale indoor events for a long time to come.

What a strange response. What are your thoughts on the economy collapsing? Nothing I guess.
    That post is about as useful as your other contributions to this thread.

Try harder.

What a strange response. What are your thoughts on the economy collapsing? Nothing I guess.
    That post is about as useful as your other contributions to this thread.

Try harder.

Nice defection tactic. How about you providing a response to the point I made.

Nice defection tactic but doomed to failure.

You pick ONE word out of a post that mentions several areas of the economy that are failing.

Great contribution.

You pick ONE word out of a post that mentions several areas of the economy that are failing.

Great contribution.

OK Jack. Whatever you say. You are 100 percent right in every single post you make about this topic and people who don`t agree with you are 100 percent wrong. Is that correct lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

Gael23 wrote: »
    Have heard pubs won’t be allowed open as scheduled

Heard it from who, karen on Facebook??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What are the big swathes of the economy that are being shuttered?
    You need to be completely delusional not to see the generational impact this is going to have on the economy, and anybody over the age of 12 knows how fragile an economy can be.

Recessions have come from far smaller contractions than we are about to see, anybody who thinks this is about a few pubs really is missing the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sunday's independent reporting outdoor crowds of 500 will be approved on Tuesday to start 10th August, good news for sports fans there.

Nightclubs as expected will not get the go ahead (how could they).

Pubs are expected to see some sort of movement towards being approved with strict guidelines but the last few days have shaken confidence a little, no final decision has been made yet nor will it be until Tuesday at the earliest after they review the weekend numbers and early next week, and there looks like there will be a differentiation made between rural and city pubs, what that might be hasn't been expanded on but I'd assume it'll be opening hours as this was mentioned yesterday.

Independent also reporting guidelines for pubs without food will be closely monitored when they do open

schools will never reopen so

Considering very few kids have gotten the virus and the majority of cases are the under 40's, schools will open first

If you look at the numbers and look at things only from a health perspective, the pubs should stay closed. They would have previously.

But I think opening the pubs is a necessity at this point. It is no secret that the government are desperately trying to cut people’s PUP payments. Opening the pubs allows them to cut a large chunk of PUP payments, whether that is people going back to work or reduced to welfare.

If they try to delay the pubs further, they’d have to continue those PUP payments and likely offer financial support to all of those businesses.

This might be the first time that we are forced to take the economy into consideration.

I’ll personally be delighted to see it. It’s time to start moving forward while we still have an economy to salvage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If you look at the numbers and look at things only from a health perspective, the pubs should stay closed. They would have previously.

But I think opening the pubs is a necessity at this point. It is no secret that the government are desperately trying to cut people’s PUP payments. Opening the pubs allows them to cut a large chunk of PUP payments, whether that is people going back to work or reduced to welfare.

If they try to delay the pubs further, they’d have to continue those PUP payments and likely offer financial support to all of those businesses.

This might be the first time that we are forced to take the economy into consideration.

I’ll personally be delighted to see it. It’s time to start moving forward while we still have an economy to salvage.

To be honest thats my thinking also. If they say next week no you can't open then industry specific financial support would be needed not with loans but with grants. If they keep them closed there's no doubt that a serious amount of money will have to be ring-fenced.

Then as you say PUP payments too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement