Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

Not only should reopening stop, it should be reversed until number return to single figures, or better yet to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You need to be completely delusional not to see the generational impact this is going to have on the economy, and anybody over the age of 12 knows how fragile an economy can be.

Recessions have come from far smaller contractions than we are about to see, anybody who thinks this is about a few pubs really is missing the bigger picture.

Not to mention a few brain cells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Not only should reopening stop, it should be reversed until number return to single figures, or better yet to zero.

I presume you have a job working from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If you look at the numbers and look at things only from a health perspective, the pubs should stay closed. They would have previously.

But I think opening the pubs is a necessity at this point. It is no secret that the government are desperately trying to cut people’s PUP payments. Opening the pubs allows them to cut a large chunk of PUP payments, whether that is people going back to work or reduced to welfare.

If they try to delay the pubs further, they’d have to continue those PUP payments and likely offer financial support to all of those businesses.

This might be the first time that we are forced to take the economy into consideration.

I’ll personally be delighted to see it. It’s time to start moving forward while we still have an economy to salvage.

You are missing a few things:
    - Pubs capacity will be very limited so won't need that much staff
    - Amount of people to hit the pubs on a Thursday night and Friday night in the city will be low as no one hardly on the offices
    - Public transport at night is very limited, no night links etc.
    - No night clubs will be allowed to open, will people go into the city so?

Local pubs will do ok but cant see many pubs open during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If you look at the numbers and look at things only from a health perspective, the pubs should stay closed. They would have previously.

But I think opening the pubs is a necessity at this point. It is no secret that the government are desperately trying to cut people’s PUP payments. Opening the pubs allows them to cut a large chunk of PUP payments, whether that is people going back to work or reduced to welfare.

If they try to delay the pubs further, they’d have to continue those PUP payments and likely offer financial support to all of those businesses.

This might be the first time that we are forced to take the economy into consideration.

I’ll personally be delighted to see it. It’s time to start moving forward while we still have an economy to salvage.

You are missing a few things:
    - Pubs capacity will be very limited so won't need that much staff
    - Amount of people to hit the pubs on a Thursday night and Friday night in the city will be low as no one hardly on the offices
    - Public transport at night is very limited, no night links etc.
    - No night clubs will be allowed to open, will people go into the city so?

Local pubs will do ok but cant see many pubs open during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

I do find it curious that numbers are increasing when that’s the only thing that has changed.

Remember the mantra - "Test!, Test!, Test!". So now we've more tests than ever happening and, lo & behold, we've found more cases! So moving to the next phase increasingly looks like a pipe dream.

Why? Deaths are extremely low now and just 7 in hospital in the whole country.

Our economy can’t afford to lock down forever and a vaccine could be some time away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What a stupid reactionary assertion. Pubs haven’t even opened but yet they should suffer more for increased cases caused elsewhere. Ever hear of a word called logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why? Deaths are extremely low now and just 7 in hospital in the whole country.

Our economy can’t afford to lock down forever and a vaccine could be some time away yet.

Because “I’m alright Jack”. Anyways can’t these people all stay indoors indefinitely if they’re that bothered about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Just read the article in the independent about the outdoor gatherings and the pubs.
    We’ve all seen the case load rise over the past 3/4 days but these high numbers have been associated with poor work practises and direct provision. This cant end up effecting a pub in west cork or clifden from reopening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Just read the article in the independent about the outdoor gatherings and the pubs.
    We’ve all seen the case load rise over the past 3/4 days but these high numbers have been associated with poor work practises and direct provision. This cant end up effecting a pub in west cork or clifden from reopening.

Well it can because the virus spreads and if it's in the community, daily cases will only go one way unless measures are put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Santy2015 wrote: »

It looks like it'll feed into the thinking alright but there appears to be compromise coming. Rural pubs to be treated differently it appears too.
    Was also mentioned yesterday of urban pubs getting an earlier closing, 11 / 11.30pm has been rumoured to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Indo article popped up on the phone this evening. Apologies if already posted
    Ireland to escape a second wave of Covid-19, says Nobel Prize winning scientist
    Nobel Prize winner says country 'is done' with the coronavirus

The Nobel Prize-winning scientist who looked at raw data and correctly predicted Ireland's death and infection rate would "burn itself out" in the last two weeks of May is back to reassure people there will be no second wave.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/ireland-to-escape-a-second-wave-of-covid-19-says-nobel-prize-winning-scientist-39416411.html

Premium article so I can't see the full thing but interesting. Here's an expert, a Nobel Prize winning expert at that, who seems to have been right before and is seemingly going against the fear and whataboutery that's being used to justify masks and the mess that is the schools to name but two.

I wonder will he be so easily dismissed as the rest of us who aren't buying into the doomsday scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

You retired or WFH, only such much lockdown that this country can afford or would you prefer severe tax hikes, welfare cuts and reduced current/capital expenditure come october.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

votecounts wrote: »
    You retired or WFH, only such much lockdown that this country can afford or would you prefer severe tax hikes, welfare cuts and reduced current/capital expenditure come october.

Is the economy that really important, just throwing it out there, like im not going to benefit from a good economy, I hear all this talk from people and I just wonder where is it going to benefit them, I assume if you are in business, yes it would be good, but for the vast majority of people, a good economy means, people driving around in cars they cant afford, living with sky high mortgages and awake at night time trying to figure out ways to send their children to private school.

brookers wrote: »
    Is the economy that really important, just throwing it out there, like im not going to benefit from a good economy, I hear all this talk from people and I just wonder where is it going to benefit them, I assume if you are in business, yes it would be good, but for the vast majority of people, a good economy means, people driving around in cars they cant afford, living with sky high mortgages and awake at night time trying to figure out ways to send their children to private school.

Is this a real post?

You're joking right? Either that or maybe not old enough to have been an adult during the last recession 10 years ago. I'm not being funny.. if this is the case, you should go read up on it.

An economic crash/recession means business struggle or close leading to mass unemployment, cuts to welfare and essential services, higher taxation and (new) charges, people struggling to pay their bills (especially rent), huge mental stress for everyone affected and that's just off the top of my head.

This is a common fallacy about the economy in armchair discussions. The economy isn't just about the wealthy or middle-class, it's about all of us. It's about what kind of state the hospitals will be in should you need one, how many guards are available in our towns, what kind of condition our roads and public transport is in, how much welfare and support is available to those who need it. The economy isn't just about Roderick and Michelle and their 2020 Range Rover and cúnty kids.

Our economy went to shreds 12 years ago, I don't think anyone around here needs a history lesson on the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The economy isn't just about Roderick and Michelle and their 2020 Range Rover and cúnty kids..

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I can't believe someone dismisses the importance of a functioning economy. We all have our opinions, but that's bananas tbh

• Advertisement

I can't believe someone dismisses the importance of a functioning economy. We all have our opinions, but that's bananas tbh

Ah I'm assuming the poster may not have been old enough during the recession 10 years ago, or was sheltered by his parents income perhaps.

Again, I'm not being insulting but there is a whole generation now who were kids a decade ago.

I feel old! :D

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ah I'm assuming the poster may not have been old enough during the recession 10 years ago, or was sheltered by his parents income perhaps.

Again, I'm not being insulting but there is a whole generation now who were kids a decade ago.

Bet you holidayed in Mosney haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I've come through two recessions and have seen the cuts that are part and parcel of same. Caused lots of bad outcomes for lots of people.
    Yeah I 'm old to. Have a son who was in single digits during the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

Joke post of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Indo article popped up on the phone this evening. Apologies if already posted

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/ireland-to-escape-a-second-wave-of-covid-19-says-nobel-prize-winning-scientist-39416411.html

Premium article so I can't see the full thing but interesting. Here's an expert, a Nobel Prize winning expert at that, who seems to have been right before and is seemingly going against the fear and whataboutery that's being used to justify masks and the mess that is the schools to name but two.

I wonder will he be so easily dismissed as the rest of us who aren't buying into the doomsday scenarios?

I don't know how people can take what Michael Levitt says seriously anymore. Fair enough, he's a Nobel prize winner, but that doesn't preclude him from being wrong. He's been wrong quite a lot. It was all just going to go away of it's own accord according to him. The resurgence of numbers in the US and, now parts of Europe clearly show that to be total BS. Even in that article - someone has posted the entire thing over in the main thread - the maths he uses to make claims about Ireland are way off and don't stack up.

I'm sure he means well, but I wouldn't be taking what he says as gospel. Exhibit A:

https://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Nobel-laureate-Israel-will-have-no-more-than-ten-coronavirus-deaths-621407

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't know how people can take what Michael Levitt says seriously anymore.

I'm very skeptical, but I'd love for him to be right. It sounds great for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'm very skeptical, but I'd love for him to be right. It sounds great for Ireland.

It sounds great: a Nobel laureate saying everything is going to be tickety boo. But if you read the Indo article some of his sums are extremely questionable, his conclusions daft and some of his advice is, in my opinion, mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

'Portuguese police disperse groups of young Irish holidaymakers'

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/portuguese-police-disperse-groups-of-young-irish-holidaymakers-1.4320267?mode=amp

Disgraceful behaviour. Hopefully those on the PUP will have their payments suspended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

GocRh wrote: »
    'Portuguese police disperse groups of young Irish holidaymakers'

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/portuguese-police-disperse-groups-of-young-irish-holidaymakers-1.4320267?mode=amp

Disgraceful behaviour. Hopefully those on the PUP will have their payments suspended.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Within the next few months there will be a big divergence in society between those who want severe state control over people's behaviour and those who want the freedom to live their lives with some semblance of previous normality. Currently the lockdown community have the controls in media, government circles etc. Every aspect of behaviour that they regard as deviant provokes an angry response, initially online followed up by the gardai. Take last night's gathering of young people in kilkee. Over exuberant but little different from many concerts, functions etc. People rushed to call the guards with arrests made and politicians condemning heavily. 'Scobes' from limerick were blamed. In fact the young people were native Clare youngsters from 'normal ' families. Many people, not just young people, are becoming fed up with the zealots. The pendulum is swinging.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement