Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you work for free?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Beware of those who ask for much, but offer nothing! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Would you work for free for a company? Like it's pretty common for law graduates to do so, and some design and other fields. Doesn't sit right with me though and I wouldn't do it, nor "hire" someone without paying them. You could argue about getting something from it, but dangling some potential maybes just reeks of awfulness. Like if I asked a photographer to cover my wedding and inso doing he'll get experience.

What....you mean like moderators?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Would you ring up Aer Lingus say, complain that they are looking for 480 euros, to fly you return to New York... when they suggest costs are the major factor in their industry and prices reflect this you reply... “well, if pilots, cabin crew, aircraft maintenance, catering, flight dispatchers, cleaners, customer services etc, worked their first year to eighteen months for free, things could be significantly cheaper and they will still be ‘earning experience’... ?

I’d put the phone down I’d be laughing that hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A friend of mine did a "work experience " stint in a place and asked for some help with the cost of commuting and was laughed out of it so he made a point of helping himself to stationery and things like copier paper and coffee from the canteen and so on. Defrayed some of his cost,he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Go for a trade instead but for some bizarre reason there seems to be a development of a modern Irish stigma attached to this route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Absolutely not, wear a hi viz vest while not cycling?
    Eating lunch in a portacabin beside a portaloo?
    Being too tired from moving around all day to go to the gym at the end of the day?

Ill stick to wearing my shirt and slacks combo and sitting in the same building, walking in and out of the centra across the road for a coffee while practicing my faux D4 accent with the same lad who sits beside me every day for the next 40 years whilst posting on boards about companies attracting talent and how cutting edge we all are when in fairness my dad could have done this job just the same only he used a pen and paper and had a coworker or two helping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

In a way, I do work for free.

I'm over taxed to pay for free everything for permanent job-so-called-seekers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

2smiggy wrote: »
    e957aafb47db8283749bdf5d1461e590.jpg

Guess I'm going to have to become a prostitute...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They do and can get the Dole for days without work.

But from what I've seen most have a second job?

A friends son is doing that. The law thing.
    He worked in Tayto park for 2 years at weekend while he worked 5 days a week and evenings for some solicitor practice for free for those 2 years.
    He still hasnt got a job, unless he wants to work for free, and is full time at Tayto park since it opened. At least he gets paid for that.

Advertisement