Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irel coffee cake

Options
  • 01-08-2020 2:39am

Howdy.

I’m trying to remember a cake from childhood.

I’m pretty sure it would have been a no bake recipe.

At least 3 of the ingredients would have been Irel coffee essence, crushed biscuits (I think a plain biscuit like a Marie) and chocolate.

We would have called it a marble cake as it was hard, dense and when sliced had an appearance of marble.

Obviously if I google ‘marble’ or ‘coffee’ for anything cake related I can’t find it as it wasn’t a baked cake. Well I don’t remember it being baked.

If you recognise the description -

What did you call it ?

Do you have a link to a recipe ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't remember that, other than the Irel it sounds like a chocolate biscuit cake, you wouldn't be adding any large amount of Irel to anything anyway as it's quite strong. It was mainly used for coffee cake.

Old style chocolate biscuit cakes were usually made by heating up marg, sugar, cocoa, sometimes an egg and then mixing with broken up biscuits and set in the fridge. There wasn't that much good chocolate about and too good to be using in cooking but maybe I'm older than you :)

I imagine one could think a sliced chocolate biscuit cake looked like marble with the biscuits contrasting to the chocolate colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmcardleie

Would this be morning coffee cake?

Morning coffee biscuits laid out like a log.

Chocolate and sugar mix with coffee essence (and whiskey or brandy).

All layered (like making as lasagne) and then covered with the "icing" mixture.

Does that sound like it?

Advertisement