Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Player on Older TV

• 01-08-2020 7:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Whats the best way to get RTE player on my old Smart LG TV that has no player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

tech wrote: »

Using a Chromecast I'd say. A now tv stick would be another cheap way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭decor58

I use a Now tv stick, very reliable, Aldi have them for 20€ at the moment, inexpensive way of making your TV smart. You will have to sign up, credit card details etc, just cancel before sub before pass expires, apps still work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

does it have the RTe player on the stick by default??

does it have the RTe player on the stick by default??

Yes, RTÉ, VM, All4, Netflix, YouTube, Spotify.

decor58 wrote: »
    Yes, RTÉ, VM, All4, Netflix, YouTube, Spotify.

And you don't need an active subscription to now tv for the players to work?

• Advertisement

That's right, when you buy the stick you must supply your credit card details to activate the card but you will get a pass, entertainment, movies or sport. Before the pass expires cancel your sub, it's straightforward, it's done on line not through the stick, the pass will expire, your sub will be cancelled and the apps will continue to work.
    Plus you get TuneIn radio, so you can access Internet radio, through you TV.

have Aldi still got these?

have Aldi still got these?

They had them in Bray on Thursday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

This is interesting...

Can I broaden this question to ask which streaming device - NowTV, Fire Stick or Chromecast is best for this scenario - i.e. without paying a subscription will they all give you the same range of players?

MenloPete wrote: »
    This is interesting...

Can I broaden this question to ask which streaming device - NowTV, Fire Stick or Chromecast is best for this scenario - i.e. without paying a subscription will they all give you the same range of players?

I have only experience of Now tv so I can't comment on the others, I find it inexpensive, reliable and I get the apps (as above) I use. Maybe fire stick or Chrome cast users might list the apps available and their experience.

• Advertisement

This is interesting...

I have only experience of Now tv so I can't comment on the others, I find it inexpensive, reliable and I get the apps (as above) I use. Maybe fire stick or Chrome cast users might list the apps available and their experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This is interesting...

Chromecast requires you to have another device to stream from, e.g. phone or tablet.

RTE Player is not officially available for firestick, so you would likely need to sideload it, but depending on your TV model, you could likely sideload it a lot easier on the TV anyway.
    NowTV is likely the best option for out of the box, no idea what subs may be required for any of the players though, if any.

Have you tried sideloading it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

Suckit wrote: »

Have you tried sideloading it?

I have a Panasonic - the dumbest Smart TV on the market. AFAIK there's nothing you can do with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭dubrov

MenloPete wrote:
    I have a Panasonic - the dumbest Smart TV on the market. AFAIK there's nothing you can do with them.

Rte never developed an app for Panasonics. You could likely run it in the TV browser though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Or you could get the Xiaomi stick with AndroidTV, afaik they are still €26 on sale.

Advertisement