Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cycleways & Anti-Social Behaviour

Options
  • 01-08-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

So the Grand Canal cycleway opened yesterday at a cost of €9m.

What do i see on day one - the local welfare class start congregating there in the dozens, cans in hand and have a HORSE blocking the cycle path. Cyclists slow and stop as they approach, most having to move off the path onto the grass to get past. This is day one folks and we hadn't even moved into nighttime yet. These cycleways are going to become a handy funnel for those lads if they want to rob themselves a nice new bike or skooter or handbag. Hilariously, the Greens on their bikes are completely green about the nature of these people.

The council have also helpfully erected ladders into the canal every 100m or so. Are the council basically saying - here you go lads, congregate on the cyclepath and have a swim in the canal?

Nothing will be done about this. Council will just pretend nothing is happening. Just goes to show the welfare class own this city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Why do you think the ladders are there ?
    And .. just a few months ago I was receiving social welfare ( covid payment ) am i still part of the social welfare classes ? my parents are on a pension , should I be worried if I find cans in their fridge ? Do they have to buy a horse ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

It should be Policed by Gardaí on bicycles 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 83,476 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sounds great. Up here in the Appalachians you can find a great great many hiking and horse trails. As you said it’s day one people will figure it out I somehow doubt people using horses to block the cycle path will be a favorite pastime of horse owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Markcheese wrote: »
    Why do you think the ladders are there ?
    And .. just a few months ago I was receiving social welfare ( covid payment ) am i still part of the social welfare classes ? my parents are on a pension , should I be worried if I find cans in their fridge ? Do they have to buy a horse ?

Oh you really got me there with the tear jerking comment about Covid...you're not welfare class if you have two parents living together and at least one of them work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

What do i see on day one - the local welfare class start congregating there in the dozens, cans in hand and have a HORSE blocking the cycle path. Cyclists slow and stop as they approach, most having to move off the path onto the grass to get past. This is day one folks and we hadn't even moved into nighttime yet. These cycleways are going to become a handy funnel for those lads if they want to rob themselves a nice new bike or skooter or handbag. Hilariously, the Greens on their bikes are completely green about the nature of these people.

The council have also helpfully erected ladders into the canal every 100m or so. Are the council basically saying - here you go lads, congregate on the cyclepath and have a swim in the canal?

Nothing will be done about this. Council will just pretend nothing is happening. Just goes to show the welfare class own this city.

Charming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It should be Policed by Gardaí on bicycles 24/7

Not sure if sarcasm or serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Overheal wrote: »
    Sounds great. Up here in the Appalachians you can find a great great many hiking and horse trails. As you said it’s day one people will figure it out I somehow doubt people using horses to block the cycle path will be a favorite pastime of horse owners.

You really don't know Dublin at all.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-cyclist-attacks-4925837-Dec2019/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-conducting-grand-canal-patrols-after-attacks-on-cyclists-1.4118613

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Odhinn wrote: »
    Charming

You might not like the tone, but the poster is pretty much telling it as it is. If you don't like people using potentially offensive language then you're really not going to enjoy being beaten up by scumbags and having your bike stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭3d4life

So the Grand Canal cycleway opened yesterday at a cost of €9m.......

Please compare and contrast with Tokyo

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058098567

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If "working class" is a thing, then "welfare class" is a thing; you could define it as those who view long term intergenerational welfare dependence as a legitimate lifestyle choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

As a foreign national it strikes me that the legal system in Ireland (not the justice system as it may seem) is pretty much powerless against the youths and does not punish the seriousness of their crime simply based on their age. What is the reason behind it? What has the age got to do with it? If you commit serious crime like beating the sh*t up out of random people you should be trialed as an adult and put in jail. Why is the system broken here?

Having seen multiple threads on boards about anti social behaviour and having set one up my myself, it seems like this behaviour is ongoing for a really long time. Almost as if it is rooted into the DNA. I really like Ireland and I'm not trying to stir international discussion here but this is one of the things I never understood. Why does the law turns the blind eye on this particular matter? Or maybe other cities around the world underreport such kind of behaviour that is why Dublin gets a lot of news like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,476 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Birneybau wrote: »

I don’t, admittedly. But where in these stories is the spate of highwaymen on horseback blocking the cycling path with Clydesdales and ****?

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    As a foreign national it strikes me that the legal system in Ireland (not the justice system as it may seem) is pretty much powerless against the youths and does not punish the seriousness of their crime simply based on their age. What is the reason behind it? What has the age got to do with it? If you commit serious crime like beating the sh*t up out of random people you should be trialed as an adult and put in jail. Why is the system broken here?

Having seen multiple threads on boards about anti social behaviour and having set one up my myself, it seems like this behaviour is ongoing for a really long time. Almost as if it is rooted into the DNA. I really like Ireland and I'm not trying to stir international discussion here but this is one of the things I never understood. Why does the law turns the blind eye on this particular matter? Or maybe other cities around the world underreport such kind of behaviour that is why Dublin gets a lot of news like this?

Ireland and the UK are the only countries i've been to where the most dangerous people you can walk past on the street are a group of 12-16 year olds. They know they are completely untouchable. Where I live gangs of these poxy little bastards patrol the streets regularly harassing and intimidating people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ireland and the UK are the only countries i've been to where the most dangerous people you can walk past on the street are a group of 12-16 year olds. They know they are completely untouchable. Where I live gangs of these poxy little bastards patrol the streets regularly harassing and intimidating people.

I really thought someone would have snapped by now and taken them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Overheal wrote: »
    I don’t, admittedly. But where in these stories is the spate of highwaymen on horseback blocking the cycling path with Clydesdales and ****?

To couch it in terms you'll understand, it's an underclass issue. These little f'ers are born into multi-generational welfare recipients which are WAY more generous than those in the States, it's a viable lifestyle choice.

The parents don't give a fcuk what their lawless spawn get up to, would deny and deflect if it was even put to them what the kids got up to.

They gather in numbers and knock people from bikes, snatch phones from hands.

The post above with regards to the law system here is bang on the money.

As for the horses, they ain't going near any Appalachian trails, just left walking around 'ghettos'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Unlimited free dole causes crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Grand Canal cycleway opened about 15 years ago. You may be thinking about the Royal Canal.

The Grand Canal cycleway opened about 15 years ago. You may be thinking about the Royal Canal.

Where the auld triangle goes jingle jangle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Not in a really rough estate but there are a handful of cocky teenage types who think they can act like pricks.

When they started intimidating the other half the ringleader was confronted and warned that the next time the baseball bat that I had would be used. The trouble stopped.

We have become soft as a society due to the way the law is set up but enough people need to stand up to the scrotes for things to change. We shouldn't tolerate teenagers ruling the roost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Odhinn wrote: »
    Charming

"Working class" (who don't work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

OP did you question everyone of these lads? I mean you said they are all on welfare so im guessing you have the evidence to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Send them all to Rockall

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

OP did you question everyone of these lads? I mean you said they are all on welfare so im guessing you have the evidence to back it up.

you don't know the area if you think there's a chance they're NOT on welfare.

Advertisement