Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The only sign it is subzero: /QUOTE]

What the heck is/was that? Looks like a frozen burst pipe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

It’s a water supply pipe for the animals on the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lovely evening out there, dry, clear and cold, temperature currently 0.2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The only sign it is subzero:

DOCARCH wrote: »

What the heck is/was that? Looks like a frozen burst pipe?

looks like kryptonite, is there a fella by the name of Clark Kent down your way?

The cold is well and truly embedded here, particularly at elevation. It has been subzero up there for a few days now.

As odd as it is, it does not feel cold due to the low humidity. There is no snow but any water source is frozen solid, including the ground.

PH8MsFy.jpg

ClYLDa6.jpg

FAEzw97.jpg

The lake has frozen again for the fourth time this winter, except harder this time. I saw no clear patches and I assume the ice will get thicker as time goes on.

EwLfCiJ.jpg

jG5MAde.jpg

wrrqoXK.jpg

9khsk1g.jpg

Exceptionally clear views of the snow caps on Beinn an Òir and Beinn Shiantaidh in Jura were to be had. I could also see the sun shinning on the cliffs on the Oa Peninsula.

Hxzuaiw.jpg

hdFYfy5.jpg

Evidence of the far north Donegal streamer from last night.

pydvcPf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Went out for walk at lunch time+ it was so cold with wind chill it actual took my breath away.

The auld masks came in handy as a face warmer!

We have had snow/ sleet showers all day long here in NCD but not one bit of it has lasted. Still no sign of the sun.

It's a bit mad, when we had good bit of snow 2 weeks ago that last 2/3 days here on ground + it was much warmer + we even had a bit of sunshine!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The cold is well and truly embedded here, particularly at elevation.

Cool pics!

appledrop wrote: »
    Went out for walk at lunch time+ it was so cold with wind chill it actual took my breath away.

The auld masks came in handy as a face warmer!

We have had snow/ sleet showers all day long here in NCD but not one bit of it has lasted. Still no sign of the sun.

It's a bit mad, when we had good bit of snow 2 weeks ago that last 2/3 days here on ground + it was much warmer + we even had a bit of sunshine!

The flakes are of the dry type that will break up when landing so you need heavier snow to get a covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Cool pics!

I agree, more than just cool!

There is a rather irritating streamer 3-4 miles to my south that is keeping the temp up. Would rather it buggers off or heads north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The most notable aspect of this cold spell in East Cork has been how windy it has been here near the coast.

The normally calm Ballycotton Bay was as rough as i've ever seen it earlier today, it's usually sheltered from the prevailing wind due to it's orientation, it leaves it wide open in an easterly though.

v3krftq.jpg

mcburns07 wrote: »
    The most notable aspect of this cold spell in East Cork has been how windy it has been here near the coast.

Garryvoe! Love that spot. Should have been there next week....if it wasn't for the other thing!

Garryvoe! Love that spot. Should have been there next week....if it wasn't for the other thing!

:) We live a few mins up the road, it's great to have the option to go there with the restrictions.

You can confirm how rare it is to see it that wild ;)

mcburns07 wrote: »
    :) We live a few mins up the road, it's great to have the option to go there with the restrictions.

You can confirm how rare it is to see it that wild ;)

I was there around this time two years ago and it was similar. Waves (....and stones....) were crashing up onto the car park. Fun....for about 60 seconds!

I was there around this time two years ago and it was similar. Waves (....and stones....) were crashing up onto the car park. Fun....for about 60 seconds!

:pac: This is more typical, taken last month.

NpOvpRl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Just spotted on meteociel.fr that there is an ECMWF parallel run now as well and that it will become the operational in May 21.
    Anyone know how long its been on Meteociel or is it just recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Proper snowflakes in Dublin 13 (Clare Hall)! At last!

What a forecast by ME, the atlantic is back in full swing it seems, wet and windy with possible flooding all mentioned for the weekend and into next week, and the land here didnt even get a proper drying out thanks to the showers of muck all week

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fwox

Snow starting to fall in Waterford :p

Fwox wrote: »
    Snow starting to fall in Waterford :p

Snowing here to, topping up the 5 or 6cm's yesterday but its not worth talking about, its mixed with mostly sleet or the now in fashion gropaul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bit of a dusting in North County Dublin

And a very light covering in Drogheda. I think it's "snow grains" rather than flakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Interesting watching a rogue weather balloon, launched at 23:00 last night from Valentia, it has failed to burst.

Its made it all the way to Holland at the moment and still going....150 km/h steady at 33,000 m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Interesting watching a rogue weather balloon, launched at 23:00 last night from Valentia, it has failed to burst.

Its made it all the way to Holland at the moment and still going....150 km/h steady at 33,000 m

Where can you track that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Seems to be starting in Cork now, albeit it isn't heavy

Where can you track that?

They are launched everyday at 11:00 and 23:00 all over the world, you can track any balloon in detail.

Normally they get up to 100,000 ft and burst, this one didn't, it just kept going, burst now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

SlowBlowin wrote: »

Great site, thanks. Didn't know there were radiosonde trackers as well as aeroplane ones.

Great site, thanks. Didn't know there were radiosonde trackers as well as aeroplane ones.

It is a good site, but recently its getting overloaded at times. Nice to compare actual winds with predicted winds.

Note: If you watch at 11:00 you will see all the launches, then Irish ones show up at 15 - 20 minutes past the hour as they need the altitude to reach the mainly European receivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A beautiful cold clear crisp morning here in Castlebar . Great visibility.

Advertisement