Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Same in Letterkenny, been a welcome break from cloud and damp over the past three days, haven't seen the ground as dry in months

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

The sun peeping through the clouds has been tonic for the soul - the long periods of cloud and rain over recent weeks has made the last few weeks a little bit tougher.

That said, I'll be happy if we get the day or two of snow - miss the crunch of fresh snow underfoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭OldRio

Another cold but beautiful day here in Leitrim. Biting wind makes the tea and toast taste all the better after a long walk.
    As for the snow? I've seen more dandruff on an aged hippys jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Happened upon this footage of the snowfall in Clifden a few weeks back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EZWf08Bfz4

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The lake here is frozen solid. People are walking on it. It is -2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^

where be that?

Bitterly cold day. Temperatures sat around 1-2c today here at low levels.

Went up to 370 metres and everything was frozen solid, all water sources. The ground was nice and dry, akin to a period of persistent warm weather. I love this weather.

The lake was frozen solid, people were out walking on it. I did not venture out as I am not sure how thick the ice is. Will be interesting to see how it is on Saturday.

The ground is white with dryness:

dWXpmqu.jpg

Almost frozen waterfall:

WmVfYul.jpg

Frozen lake:

AIsNY2X.jpg

L6JkqOU.jpg

SZwEeP3.jpg

DzSgGUT.jpg

The cracks in the ice and patches of snow reminded me of the show ice road truckers! I have really enjoyed this weather and I will be sad to see it go!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fantastic pictures.

1445247311_GFSp1.gif.0a0716307b42aee46dbc92b7f2c0f351.gif

Just looking at this map,i think the milder air will have more difficulty winning out over all England. Indeed it would not surprise if there is a backtrack on that for next week yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^

where be that?

poster never says

I'd love to know myself

Got some reason no matter how cold the atmosphere is minimums are always very poor. We got down to -2c here at 7 and it’s now back up to -1c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm. Cold early tonight as the easterly breeze eases off.

Knock -3
    Claremorris -2
    Athenry -2
    Moore park -2
    Mount Dillon -2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^

where be that?

Near Limavady, Derry.

It’s -1c here but there’s a really weird drizzle falling despite the sky being clear and low humidity. Odd

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

GFS18Z showing some very windy weather over the weekend . ECM 12Z windy but not as strong, still possibly a good few counties getting yellow warnings.

anim_rjr3.gif

anim_laz6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A beautiful cold clear crisp morning here in Castlebar . Great visibility.

Looking west after sunset in Mayo this evening.

542947.jpg

Fantastic visibility alright here today. Lovely blue skies for the first part of the day. A few patches of cloud pushed by during the afternoon. We even got the lightest shower of graupel one could imagine at sundown. It was quite beautiful to see the tiny snow grains illuminated by the orange glow of the setting sun. Any cloud quickly dissipated once evening came however to leave a frosty and starry night.
    Some posters on one of the other threads mentioned seeing some contrails again in the clear skies. They caught my attention also today.
    No denying the windchill here in that easterly breeze over the past few days but would gladly take a cool, crisp evening like we got earlier than the greyness that we had for many days before this current spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice one Goldfinch. the aircraft overhead is Virgin Flight VIR539 from LHR-ORD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nice one Goldfinch. the aircraft overhead is Virgin Flight VIR539 from LHR-ORD.

Pretty sure that's the same one we observed here, it was my son who rather excitedly pointed it out, bit of me in him for sure.

That is a great photo Goldfinch. Spotted Croagh Patrick in the distance of it too. Pretty much how I see it from here when the air is clear enough.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A snow event or events over the next few days is fine as it doesn't last long.
    I know the last part of that sentence is not the most popular, but with vaccinations being rolled out, any prolonged event would start to become an issue with that.
    So its nice to get some snow and maybe some of us get decent snow, but it doesn't last too long to become a bigger issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That is a great photo Goldfinch. Spotted Croagh Patrick in the distance of it too. Pretty much how I see it from here when the air is clear enough.
    Cheers Oneiric. Yes, there is no denying the distinctive outline of Croagh Patrick off in the distance. It is due south west of my own location and is roughly 35kms away from here (give or take a couple of kms either way).
    I was tidying up around the garden this eve and couldn't resist taking a snap of that evening light and that plane hurtling westward out over the Atlantic. Unfortunately the camera on the phone does not do full justice to the crisp outline of the mountains in the distance. Need to invest in a camera at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The excitement over a couple of flakes of snow on the other thread is pretty baffling and they're very disappointed it's not enough. Why don't they move to Scandinavia or somewhere like that if they want snow? I mean anyone who has the temerity to bemoan the lack of sun during the summer gets quickly told that we're not in the Mediterranean and not to expect such weather.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The excitement over a couple of flakes of snow on the other thread is pretty baffling....

What's seldom is wonderful.

You will find similar sentiments on this forum for very hot weather, very cold weather, thunderstorms, etc.....any weather that is not the norm/usual.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The excitement over a couple of flakes of snow on the other thread is pretty baffling and they're very disappointed it's not enough. Why don't they move to Scandinavia or somewhere like that if they want snow? I mean anyone who has the temerity to bemoan the lack of sun during the summer gets quickly told that we're not in the Mediterranean and not to expect such weather.

Some posters like going on Sunshine holidays, but i suspect as much as they enjoy themselves, they appreciate warm and fine weather back home even more. This is the same mentality for people who like snow. As for why people get excited, it's because what is rare is charming. You would not see people poring over charts if we were guaranteed snow every winter. Also this chase is probably a welcome distraction from current events.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Love days like today, dry and very cold in the wind, sun is even threatening to peek through the clouds, temperature is 3.4c, plenty of snow still in the fields around us but at lower levels, its practically all gone

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Cheers Oneiric. Yes, there is no denying the distinctive outline of Croagh Patrick off in the distance. It is due south west of my own location and is roughly 35kms away from here (give or take a couple of kms either way).
    I was tidying up around the garden this eve and couldn't resist taking a snap of that evening light and that plane hurtling westward out over the Atlantic. Unfortunately the camera on the phone does not do full justice to the crisp outline of the mountains in the distance. Need to invest in a camera at some stage.

It's just about about 35 miles from here as the black bird flies. It's funny, I can see The Reek from here, but could never see here from the top of The Reek :cool:

New Moon

Just back from a great walk. I wish we could extend all this beyond the weekend.
    My father would have loved this weather, especially seeing how the easterly has dried out everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Just back from a great walk. I wish we could extend all this beyond the weekend.

I am just going outside and may be some time ;)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It’s a gorgeous sunny day here though very windy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Love days like today, dry and very cold in the wind, sun is even threatening to peek through the clouds, temperature is 3.4c, plenty of snow still in the fields around us but at lower levels, its practically all gone

Temperature now 1.7c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What's seldom is wonderful.

You will find similar sentiments on this forum for very hot weather, very cold weather, thunderstorms, etc.....any weather that is not the norm/usual.

We get mostly grey wet weather here. Sunny weather in summer is a novelty and it's nice to see the sun and the blue sky. Cold crisp weather often comes with sunny weather and blue skies. Snow reflects what little light we get and makes the place brighter.

I would love to live somewhere like the Alps or in Scandinavia where there is snow on the ground in winter but life doesn't always go the way you want it. The next best thing is getting some respite from the wet grey muck which is the prevailing climate in Ireland.

Advertisement