Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pauldry wrote: »
    Theres been an orange tinge to the horizon all day today. It looks like constant sunset. Anyone know why? Also last night the moon was quite golden or even orange.

The sky has been weird a while. That almost yellow tinge we get before snow. There is so much sky out here with no trees and few low buildings .

Fascinating times.. we shall see what this leads to. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rougies wrote: »
    Here's a nice snowy one from M.T.'s part of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEfNcfkfobA

And a nice dusting in this part of Wyoming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTYIt6NjmYo

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

News were on about a lot of air pollution last weekend and calm conditions so it could be those particles that are leading to the orangey hew that was seen in the Southern sky all day today in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I know what you are saying about that interesting orange glow towards the southern horizon today.
    I saw it too in Co.Roscommon. My own guess is that it is caused by the low enough sun at this time of the year against a particular cloud type that filters the light somewhat. We had some large banks of slightly broken cloud today. Not very thick stuff but some good banks of altocumulus in particular.
    My gut is telling me that it is not pollution related because we mainly had a westerly breeze here today that certainly was not emanating over any significant urban areas.
    Over the last week or two there has been a few nice displays of a weak sun illuminating similar banks of cloud.
    The top picture was taken looking south this afternoon.
    The bottom pic was a nice late November sky taken a few days ago at home in Mayo. I took it because I liked the way the lowering afternoon sun gave a nice glow to the clouds in front of it.
    Just my own thoughts but could be way off the mark!

attachment.php?attachmentid=534865&stc=1&d=1606862684

attachment.php?attachmentid=534866&stc=1&d=1606862841

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

pauldry wrote: »
    Theres been an orange tinge to the horizon all day today. It looks like constant sunset. Anyone know why? Also last night the moon was quite golden or even orange.

Lunar eclipse tonight.

• Advertisement

A bitter chill out there now. Mercurial sudden changes and squalls.I was out perforce getting fuel in etc, and a scurry and a hurry to get back in.

The sky varies widely in all directions. Clear north but veiled mountains etc else and the ocean is perturbed with white crests.

A huge change from yesterday.

West mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 23,747 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

gfs-0-384.png?6

Stop teasing. My little heart can't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lovely + sunny out there today but very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow expected tonight (Wednesday) and Thursday with reduced visibility and accumulations likely in places.

Valid: 00:01 Thursday 03/12/2020 to 23:59 Thursday 03/12/2020

Issued: 11:00 Wednesday 02/12/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Donegal

Heavy wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow expected tonight (Wednesday) and Thursday with reduced visibility and accumulations likely in places.

Valid: 00:01 Thursday 03/12/2020 to 23:59 Thursday 03/12/2020

Issued: 11:00 Wednesday 02/12/2020

That seems like a big upgrade to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Snow has arrived in the far North!

https://flic.kr/p/2kcV9nw

https://flic.kr/p/2kcZpXL

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭devilabit

Had to clear a couple of cm off the car this morning in Omagh, cool at 1C. Mostly melted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Getting thicker

https://flic.kr/p/2kcZBH4

Getting colder and the stove is resisting all efforts to light. It hates some wind directions... shivers,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Very nice clear night out there, temp is currently -1.7

Edit: Meath, im in Meath in case some want location, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Dew points are nice and low. Some people are going to be lucky over this weekend especially in the north and west

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Brrr its baltic out there.

Car frozen soild this morning.

Had to go back in + search the press for de-icer!

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Strong northerly winds today will gust up to 100km/h with a slight risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 11:00 Friday 04/12/2020 to 06:00 Saturday 05/12/2020

Issued: 09:00 Friday 04/12/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just reached 0 degrees here in meath from an overnight low of -2.3, sun is out so should rise a bit now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gusting 111 km/h at Malin Head in 1100 reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Freezing in Dublin, wind getting stronger too and rain arriving too, hurray.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gusting 117 km/h at Malin Head in 1200 reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sleet in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Heavy hail and some strong gusts in Castlebar, a bitter day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Seems a bit windier than predicted. Especially within that rain band. Could be a few branches down later. Snow all confined to mountain tops now and even on them could be sleet as was up the mountains in Sligo today and it didnt feel much colder than ground level due to gales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Extremely windy in Donegal, much more so than I expected. Always find a north wind is a lot stronger than the same strength wind from the SW for some reason

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after a frosty night, a rotten morning here in Meath, heavy cold rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Extremely windy in Donegal, much more so than I expected. Always find a north wind is a lot stronger than the same strength wind from the SW for some reason

I wonder has it anything to do with less friction from a northerly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And people were complaining when it was 14c and still a week or two ago! This is horrible weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Donegal airport gusting 47 knots from the north at 1pm. Raw day.

Advertisement