Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Anyone know when the dog is due to lift in west Dublin north Kildare please?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anyone know when the dog is due to lift in west Dublin north Kildare please?

Give him a tickle, that will give him a lift. :p

Always hard to tell/forecast when fog will lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Give him a tickle, that will give him a lift. :p

Always hard to tell/forecast when fog will lift.

Good idea lol 😂. Thanks re the FOG

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Nice hoar frost great to see clears the nostrils.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Coldest feeling morning in Dublin for quite some time. Still getting a reading of -1 at 11am

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

No frost here just that never ending greyness and dampness.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Frosty and foggy in Tara, Meath. Temp of -2 at 11.30. Doubt the frost will clear at all but hope the fog does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Long spells of winter sunshine here in Castlebar,for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

very frosty and foggy (freezing fog?) in Dublin 5. this is what winter should be like, it's already a better winter than the last two put together and there hasn't even been a snowfall yet. i can hear foghorns too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Some seriously sketchy roads around here (Loughlinstown) this morning when on my run , its a miracle I didn't end up on my rear. Amazingly none of the roads were gritted, I'd say the emergency services were busy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nice to see some seasonable weather these past few weeks with frost and fog. Nothing like the scenes of rime and freezing fog 10 years ago though.. -7.6C at Oak Park at midday on this day 10 years ago.

Midday obs from WOW today:

Navan; -1.9C
    Dunsany; -1.5C
    Phoenix Park; -0.9C
    Ballyhaise; -0.8C
    Ballinamore; -0.7C
    Mt Dillon; -0.1C

Not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Nice to see some seasonable weather these past few weeks with frost and fog. Nothing like the scenes of rime and freezing fog 10 years ago though.. -7.6C at Oak Park at midday on this day 10 years ago.

#.

Indeed.
    Froze were the days! It looks like the dense fog won't lift here today. The temperature has not made it above 0 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,750 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fog and frost still very much present in north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭circadian

Artane2002 wrote: »
    very frosty and foggy (freezing fog?) in Dublin 5. this is what winter should be like, it's already a better winter than the last two put together and there hasn't even been a snowfall yet. i can hear foghorns too.

Aye I was expecting it to shift after seeing it at 6am, haven't dared venture out yet either.

Does anyone have any ideas how the roads around Lusk are today? I've to drop off fire supplies to the father in law today, I hate the road from Blakes Cross at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

0.7c in Meath, after a clear start, the fog is creeping in, enveloping the countryside, wont be long now

Fog and frost still very much present in north Dublin.

the frost is gone but the fog is still here in my part of Dublin.

Still 0 degrees heading towards 1pm. Nice start to winter so far

Still 0 degrees heading towards 1pm. Nice start to winter so far

Dublin Airport still at -1c according to ME, could be looking at an ice day there.

Dublin airport is a sneaky cold location. In summer Phoenix park always much warmer but Dublin airport I recall during cold spells getting very impressive cold temps.
    Dublin Airport still at -1c according to ME, could be looking at an ice day there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

-1 in Donacarney Co Meath at 2pm with a freezing fog. Don’t recall last day where it was this temperature at 2pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭circadian

Dublin airport is a sneaky cold location. In summer Phoenix park always much warmer but Dublin airport I recall during cold spells getting very impressive cold temps.

The airport is at a slight elevation with no natural shelter, it's a very exposed area. Makes for an interesting watch during windy days, kids love it.

-1 in Donacarney Co Meath at 2pm with a freezing fog. Don’t recall last day where it was this temperature at 2pm.

March 2018 is almost certainly the last time that we had daytime temperatures this low. Dublin Airport is still at -1c, if the temperature doesn't go up in the next hour then I imagine it won't go above freezing today.

it almost certainly won't happen but the hourly ME forecast is showing light snow at Dublin Airport at 3am and 4am turning to sleet until 8am before turning to rain until 12pm. these hourly forecasts are wrong most of the time but it's still interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Proper winters day at last,first time really since tbfte. 1c here. Love this type of weather .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Also below zero at Casement (-0.1). Dublin Airport now -0.4.

Time|Casement|Dublin Airport
    1400|-0.1|-0.4
    1300|-0.1|-1.0
    1200|-0.4|-1.1
    1100|-0.9|-1.4
    1000|-1.4|-1.9
    0900|-1.8|-2.3
    0800|-1.8|-2.5
    0700|-1.9|-2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Fog is stubborn.

535323.png

535322.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

I thought fog horns were discontinued in 2011 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Long aul' METAR from Dublin. Decoded here: https://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EIDW

The codes e.g. "R16/0400V0500N" refers to the visibility at each Runway, interesting to see it vary so much from one end of the airfield to the other. Runway visibility between 375 and 500m and static while the general visibility is 250m.
    EIDW 061430Z 27006KT 0250 R16/0400V0500N R28L/0400V0500N R10R/0400N FZFG FEW001 SCT002 BKN005 M00/M00 Q1004 R10R/190095 R16/190095 NOSIG

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I thought fog horns were discontinued in 2011 or something?

Possibly from a ship or ships at anchor in Dublin Bay?

Clear and sunny all day in Dublin 16. Can see the fog nearby (at lower elevation). High of 2.3c here. 1.9c atm.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Clear and sunny all day in Dublin 16. Can see the fog nearby (at lower elevation). High of 2.3c here. 1.9c atm.

interesting to see the differences across the county. still foggy in Dublin 5 and if anything it's gotten denser. the lowest temperature across the country seems to be -1c in Dunsany while the three Dublin stations are around freezing.

Advertisement