Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

An Autumnal day to remember!

A crisp start with sunshine but just inland thick freezing fog.

An ice day at Dublin Airport, as rare enough event.

Really feels like a freezer out there tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Must be the coldest dec day for many since dec 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very jealous, today was a nothingness overcast windless day in Galway. Better than Atlantic muck but would have loved an Ice Day!

So far I've not even seen a frost.

Although Met Éireann's app is telling me it'll get down to -1°c tonight and a max of 1°c tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's not snow, just an erroneous automated report that can occur in thick fog. Visibility there is currently 100 m.

PsMETAR FINN 062000Z AUTO 12006KT 0100NDV -SN VV001 M01/M01 1003 MSL=

From met.ie
    yes, I noticed it was showing "moderate snow" earlier. this seems to be more of a problem in Finner than anywhere else from what I've noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The freezing fog continues. Already -3 at several stations.

535402.png

535403.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Beautiful sunrise this morning in North County Dublin then heavy fog from around 11 onwards. Nice sunrise...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

Beautiful sunrise this morning in North County Dublin then heavy fog from around 11 onwards. Nice sunrise...

Gorgeous photo!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

everything frozen solid outside for 24 hours at this stage, currently -2C but feels more like -4 or -5C. Today was a proper winters day even if there wasn't any snow. No winters day over the past 2 years even come close to how cold and frozen today was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Gorgeous photo!

It was pretty epic alright. Howth Head visible in fog and the top of the sugerloaf popping out in the distance...can see Howth here.

Could also hear the fog horns going. Not something heard in a while alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Quite foggy here, or perhaps misty - it feels like a fine drizzle hitting your face out there. Ice forming on the bare tree branches, looks cool!

Currently -1.1c in south Laois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

My God, it was absolutely beautiful but ****ing freezing out in North County Dublin today. I was working outside for a few hours today and could not wear gloves due to the nature of the work and I thought my hands were going to fall off they were so cold. Honestly, the coldest my hands have been in about 10 years, was actually painful trying to warm them up...

Went for a nice walk a short time ago. -3.2c here atm. Love going for a walk in this weather though my wife thinks I'm crazy lol. Well haven't had many nights like this in many recent winters,so I like to make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Today was truly an amazing experience. I got plenty of photos, I got to explore the foggy, white landscape and to top it all off, it was the first Ice day I've had since 2018 BFTE.

This day is going down in my weather history for sure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Currently -3 at the coast here in Meath, exceptionally low temperatures given the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Ridiculous quote from “Wexford weather†on Facebook. What do people like this get out of it?

**CAUTION! Watch out for freezing fog & very icy conditions overnight and into tomorrow**
    On another note, the GFS evening run playing with a very dangerous setup - way to far out for any certainty but I do expect to see a similar anticyclone set up somewhere close by this season. If it set up as in this chart, all hell would break loose from the east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Ridiculous quote from “Wexford weather†on Facebook. What do people like this get out of it?

**CAUTION! Watch out for freezing fog & very icy conditions overnight and into tomorrow**
    On another note, the GFS evening run playing with a very dangerous setup - way to far out for any certainty but I do expect to see a similar anticyclone set up somewhere close by this season. If it set up as in this chart, all hell would break loose from the east.

What’s worse is people are buying into it and getting scared...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

No ice day in Donegal but a stunning day without a cloud in the sky or a breath of wind all day, got out for a long walk in the hills and managed to get all the outdoor Christmas decorations sorted.

More of that please, would make our winters so much more bearable if days like today we're guaranteed even once every couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Lovely crisp day and evening. I love it when the frost doesn’t melt from the night before. Cold out there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

No frost, and no fog in my area of meath this morning, replaced by cloud and misty rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

After fog all day yesterday, much clearer today in north Offaly, frosty, down to - 3 overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

raining in Dublin 5, the rain just always has to ruin the frost doesn't it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some light rain in Dublin 16 has coated surfaces in ice! 0.6c atm. Overnight low of -3.2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Delighted the fog is gone this morning, no frost either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A frosty morning in wexford, + it's extremely cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Freezing rain in Dublin, -1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A mention of Freezing rain on the Casement TAF
    TAF

TAF EIME 070500Z 0706/0715 27005KT 9999 SCT005
    PROB40 TEMPO 0706/0710 3000 -FZRA BR BKN005

Poxy rain this morning . Which led to some very icy footpaths. With a temperature of 1c and dp of -2c that would usually be cold enough for snow. I presume the wet bulb temp was above zero. I swear to christ I think Irish weather likes to take the piss out of winter lovers.
    Most of the frost gone replaced by rain showers this morning. Never would have thought that last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Very icy in north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Billcarson wrote: »
    Poxy rain this morning . Which led to some very icy footpaths. With a temperature of 1c and dp of -2c that would usually be cold enough for snow. I presume the wet bulb temp was above zero. I swear to christ I think Irish weather likes to take the piss out of winter lovers.
    Most of the frost gone replaced by rain showers this morning. Never would have thought that last night.

It's cold but only at the surface. Upper air temperatures are not not so cold, hence precip falling as rain into a freezing surface layer, freezing rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another lovely crisp icy morning here, everything coated in white and a nice warm orange glow from the low sun

Advertisement