Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

Billcarson wrote: »
    Poxy rain this morning . Which led to some very icy footpaths. With a temperature of 1c and dp of -2c that would usually be cold enough for snow. I presume the wet bulb temp was above zero. I swear to christ I think Irish weather likes to take the piss out of winter lovers.
    Most of the frost gone replaced by rain showers this morning. Never would have thought that last night.

Here here. Only in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

IMG-20201207-102135-463.jpg
    audi a4 1.8 t 0 60

Cartonhouse this morning
    Not playing unfortunately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

As much as I was disappointed with this mornings rain the fact that some recorded ice days yesterday gives me hope about this winter. I was in my mind kinda writing this winter off but yesterday made me think maybe this will be a better winter then I thought overall.

At the very end of nov 09 I had a day very similar to yesterday. I thought then that perhaps that was a good sign maybe it was coincidence but well that was a very good winter as it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Foggy and bitterly cold in Galway this morning, no frost to be seen however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Calm, damp and foggy in Limk City. Definitely the coldest, most unpleasant morning of December so far. Temp sitting at 1.5c since early morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A mention of Freezing rain on the Casement TAF
    TAF

TAF EIME 070500Z 0706/0715 27005KT 9999 SCT005
    PROB40 TEMPO 0706/0710 3000 -FZRA BR BKN005

There was some nice rime ice on the bushes and trees alright this morning.

Yesterday's Met Éireann station maxima and minima, sorted in each case.

Dublin and Meath stations were baltic, but strangely, Dunsany was the only station with an ice day.

535453.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Temperature hovering just above zero in a near cloudless sky. I suppose two ice days in a row was a bit much to hope for. I think the photos from the last two days show that for many people this is great weather. I mean you don't see many people out photographing the landscape on mild and wet days. If we can't get snow out of this setup, long may days like to today continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

About 3 degrees in Cork City, we didn't have an ice day but its still chilly which is nice for a change! No fog here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after another very frosty night the sun is shining today and the frost has now all but melted, much milder than yesterday obviously with a temperature of 4C, will probably rise to 5 or 6C in the next hour or two before falling again.

Was fantastic to get an ice day yesterday combined with freezing fog, a true rarity that is only seen a few times per decade. Yesterday could easily prove to be the coldest day of winter 2020/2021 it will be difficult to beat. This week turns milder with temperatures rising from now on day by day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Baltic in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

km79 wrote: »
    Baltic in Galway

Very cold, fog even thicker than earlier. Such a pity it's so cold yet just too warm to have a lovely frozen winter wonderland.

http://weather.nuigalway.ie/

NUIG weathers station reporting just 0.6°c, and I've found that very accurate (with Infact a slight warm bias).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

My boiler died last Thursday, I generally love looking out on frosty foggy morning's but no heating had me hoping for warmer conditions.

In a warm office now but dreading going home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

frost back here again in Meath after a very sunny and crisp winters day. The past 2 days have been a great start to the winter. Hopefully most of us will see our first snow of the winter at low levels before the end of December, the door is still open for something interesting to happen over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Peaked at 2.6c (AWS) again today. Currently -0.1c in South Laois and the heavier fog has returned. Temperatures gone sub-zero alot earlier tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The fog is so thick in Galway it was actually like walking around with blurred vision..very strange and have never experience this before...the thickest fog I have ever seen I couldnt even see 10 feet in front of me

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The fog is so thick in Galway it was actually like walking around with blurred vision..very strange and have never experience this before...the thickest fog I have ever seen I couldnt even see 10 feet in front of me

Visibility down to 100 m in Athenry

PsMETAR ANRY 072300Z AUTO 21004KT 0100NDV FG VV002 01/01 1004 MSL=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

very frosty and icy in Dublin 5 and possibly slightly misty but it's hard to tell. tomorrow morning could be the frostiest morning of the season if conditions stay favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Very icy in Dublin again this morning. Foot paths lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Very icy in Dublin again this morning. Foot paths lethal

some fern frost on the cars too. I think the frost and ice partially melted last night and refroze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A breeze from the W last night caused temperatures to fluctuate between -1c and +1c throughout. Some frost about here this morning in S Laois where it is currently 2.1c under a mostly clear sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Icy af on my cycle to gym this morning at around 7am, all gone when the sun came up. It was lovely and still but breeze picking up now. I'll be glad to see the back of this cold spell I can't get bloody warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Blue skies and sunny in Galway. Gorgeous.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Blue skies and sunny in Galway. Gorgeous.

Same up the road in Castlebar

frost melted here again as the week begins to turn milder. We had 4 nights in a row of heavy frost and 1 ice day, already well ahead of last winter and the winter before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Trying not get excited but the Christmas Eve/Christmas day period is looking juicy indeed. Still Fantasy island but it’s a possibility. Beast from the east for Christmas, wouldn’t that be unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was icy in D5 this morning at 7am cycling, slipped at one stage. Thankfully it seems to be the end of the really cold spell.
    How am I supposed to get anything done in the garden when everything is constantly wet? I think we usually get a few days of 12c+ in December it must be when I normally cut the grass etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A dull morning in wexford. Also milder than the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Lashing rain and the wind has picked up in East Clare.
    Miserable morning..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

wet and 7c today here.

frosty days are gone for a while. Maybe some at night in sheltered spots but next 5 days will be dominated by cold rain or showers

Advertisement