Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Stunning Christmas Eve weather in Cork. A rare gift from the gods in this difficult year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just gone below freezing here in meath, -0.3, stunner of a day, managed to get out on the bike this morning when there was a fairly sharp breeze, was nice to get back to a nice warm stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Was a stunning day in Dublin today.....blue skies. Sunny and crisp cold. Lovely winter weather

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

On my Santa list - Brian Dobson (with grey hair) in a couple of days :)

nvi0yTR.png

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Happy Christmas to everyone. Thank you for all the interesting posts throughout the year. Hopefully the next few weeks will bring us all some decent wintry weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"silent night..." Perfect Christmas Day weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Gerry Murphy must have written the Met Eireann forecast. Not a single mention of snow. Wintry precipitation is as close as they get.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gerry Murphy must have written the Met Eireann forecast. Not a single mention of snow. Wintry precipitation is as close as they get.

there isn't any solid support of snow in the charts either, it is mostly a mixed bag of cold rain, sleet and wet snow. Unless we can drag in more bitter air over the next 2 weeks the precipitation type is going to be difficult to forecast accurately for many locations. Cold rain and sleet is probably what many of us will see, some places will get lucky and see some falling wet snow at times.

The wind is rising. It has been flat calm all morning. A gray day and darkening now. SW which is better than N/NW.

west mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Are the models looking any better for snow next week guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

davidsr20 wrote: »

No better no worse really. The New Year would hopefully bring something snow wise but between now and then more of the rain/sleet variety. The building blocks look reasonably good but a lot as ever can go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

davidsr20 wrote: »

Expect a mixture of rain, sleet and snow. Hopefully more of snow after New Years but that’s a long way off for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes , unfortunately it does not look like we'll see powdery snow accompanied by days of settled snow anytime soon, so this period will be a disappointment if that is your expectation. However, if you are content with seeing wet snow, with perhaps some accumulations in places, that certainly could happen within the next 12 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Yes , unfortunately it does not look like we'll see powdery snow accompanied by days of settled snow anytime soon, so this period will be a disappointment if that is your expectation. However, if you are content with seeing wet snow, with perhaps some accumulations in places, that certainly could happen within the next 12 days.

So freezing cold and wet. Delightful.

So freezing cold and wet. Delightful.

Well, each to his own.
    I'll be happy if i see settling snow late Sunday night into Monday morning, that looks the best chance for snow to occur that might settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

If anyone lives close to hills or mountains over the next week you will more than likely have snow but outside your door step at the moment isn’t looking fantastic but it only takes a few minor changes. The period from the 29 to the 2nd looks interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

BBC forecast showing a large area of snow over midlands and east of Ireland on Monday. Any chance of this verifying? Thought Kermit might have a thread up for it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

I judge the possibility of snow in the coming weeks on how busy the F1 thread is . It’s dropped off considerably in the past few days so that gives me my answer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The fact there is hope of snow during the holidays is enough for me. I'll head to the hills to trek thru the white gold if needs be.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

rooney30 wrote: »
    I judge the possibility of snow in the coming weeks on how busy the F1 thread is . It’s dropped off considerably in the past few days so that gives me my answer

Yes because nobody is busy the last few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

rooney30 wrote: »

What's Formula 1 got to do with the weather?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

What's Formula 1 got to do with the weather?! :pac:

; ) be nice its christmas!
    Hopfully January will produce the goods. We Will have have to to climb on top of the snow drifts clinging on to the telephone wires to guide us to the town for supplies : )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

From Met Eireann

“On Sunday evening a band of showers will cross the country from the northwest, turning increasingly to sleet and snow as they move southeasterwards. Some snow accumulations are possible even to lower levels through much of Ulster and Leinster.”

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Band of wintry precipitation will cross the country Sunday Night into Monday morning. It will be rain and sleet along the west and south west. Wet snow along the eastern half of the country, accumulations unlikely at lower levels. Another area of sleet and snow for Monday afternoon could bring a dusting in some areas even a low levels.

Meanwhile Bella is beginning her St Stephen's Day visit... Getting loud already

West Mayo offshore

High ground does look more likely to get any accumulating snow, but i would not rule out settling snow to some lower levels further east. I thought previously we might get to see some settling snow during Sunday night into Monday, but it looks like it could well be just lovely cold rain for the western side of the country. There will be nice scenes in the Wicklow mountains over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Donegal and Leitrim

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Wintry showers during Sunday with some accumulations possible. Risk of icy stretches on untreated surfaces.

Valid: 06:00 Sunday 27/12/2020 to 20:00 Sunday 27/12/2020

Issued: 14:00 Saturday 26/12/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Got out for a lovely walk + chance for us to try out new bike Santa brought.

Not too stormy yet in Dublin so we were grand once your wrapped up well.

Home now for nice dinner + christmas movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Overcast, cool and dry in South Laois. Thick high cloud earlier allowed "watery" sunshine through - and the sky was unusual in a uniform grey-yellow. Breezy, gone from 10mph avg to around 15mph now with gusting into the low 30s mph. Mild enough temperatures at 8.4c despite the breeze making it feel much cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

8 degrees and overcast in East Clare all day..Rain started 15 minutes ago and the wind is getting strong now.

Advertisement