Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

528 Damline over us.

21 hours time.
    Some of us are going to see snow.
    2Oy0Iyr.png

Ruj1VTs.png

7naSz3E.png
    fONC3TF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Some nice look charts there cs . Finger crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Not showing snow where I live. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Happen to be in DCC this pm. Was dry and overcast up until about 4.15 but breezy and biting cold. It’s raining heavy since and is a thoroughly miserable evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Every month of the past 2 years seems to be the coldest/wettest on record, just a giant endless dark cloud of misery over Ireland, while much of the rest of Europe is experiencing the opposite, record-setting warming temperatures.

Covid and brexit have taken all the headlines obviously but is not newsworthy as well? Certainly plays a big part in the already deteriorating mental health being of residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The_Brood wrote: »
    Every month of the past 2 years seems to be the coldest/wettest on record......

Thats simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Every month of the past 2 years seems to be the coldest/wettest on record, just a giant endless dark cloud of misery over Ireland, while much of the rest of Europe is experiencing the opposite, record-setting warming temperatures.

Covid and brexit have taken all the headlines obviously but is not newsworthy as well? Certainly plays a big part in the already deteriorating mental health being of residents.

March to June 2020 was some of the nicest weather I have ever experienced in Ireland. It was dry for the most part and we had lovely sunny days. The whole country was out walking or cycling. A magical time for the kids too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-had-sunniest-month-on-record-in-may-with-almost-300-hours-of-sunshine-1.4269874

Dublin had sunniest month on record in May with almost 300 hours of sunshine.
    Highest number of daily sunshine hours recorded was 15.3 hours in Co Wexford

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/this-spring-has-been-driest-on-record-in-leinster-1.4265574
    This spring has been the driest on record in Leinster since digital records began around 70 years ago, the national forecaster Met Éireann has said.
    Since early March seven weather stations have experienced an “absolute drought,” which is 15 consecutive days without rain.

Apart from the sunny spring though. I it has been pretty bad the last while. June-September was almost constant rain. Last winter was extremely wet and this winter is not much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Anyway its an horrendous evening in here in meath, driving rain and very windy, nearly 7.5mm since around 4 o'clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Anyway its an horrendous evening in here in meath, driving rain and very windy, nearly 7.5mm since around 4 o'clock

Can safely say that was the heaviest rain here in a long time, field flooded beside the house, and was to much for the drainage pipes, lawns, and parts of the driveway around the house flooded, all gone now thankfully, finished up with 13.7mm, so 6.2mm fell in the 2 hours from above post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

This upcoming colder spell doesn't look to provide as much interest as it looked pre Christmas. Also, we may be returning to mild muck early new year. Unless something comes out of the blue, the wait for proper cold goes on into mid Jan at least. That's what it looks like, don't shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Can someone delete my post on the daily forecast sticky thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

It is all going the wrong side of marginal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

https://twitter.com/TradeWpower/status/1342980073402593283?s=20

For those who want positivity regarding possible proper winter weather into January. SSW looks good this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Was there any falling snow last night around the Dublin Mountains? Coming off the M50 at Ballinteer, past Marlay, there looked like a dump of snow on the road (as if it came of a car) ... but doesn't look possible given the weather reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Does substantial hail qualify ? Banked against the door out here … pelting down so not about to go out and take a photo!

West Mayo offshore

A freezing cold day here, the house is icy cold. There was a shower a few minutes ago but b;ue skies currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dry and clear here in Meath, might get a shower or two later.

Once we get tomorrow out of the way there appears to be alot of dry weather between Tuesday and next week apart from a few coastal showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Nice + sunny out but Jaysus its deceptive, its baltic out there + there is a breeze that would cut you in two. Currently only 3 degrees.

Yesterday was pleasant enough for my walk but I think today is a relax at home day and try and get the place in order!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was just looking at videos of December 2010. The word marginal was not in use back then! With this in mind hopefully that word will disappear again in January. We still have a reasonable chance of that something colder in the New Year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was just looking at videos of December 2010. The word marginal was not in use back then! With this in mind hopefully that word will disappear again in January. We still have a reasonable chance of that something colder in the New Year.

Fingers crossed because the current cool/cold spell is a bit of a lame duck with not much happening over the next 7 to 10 days. Hopefully we will see interesting charts develop in FI over the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Chilly day in cork city. Heavy showers of sleet and hail at times!

I had some lovely heavy snow showers while trekking above 200m in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sleeting currently around west Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

light rain in Dublin 5.

more light drizzle here in Meath, you had to look into puddles of water to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Pressure quite low this evening ,Donegal airport is at 965hpa at 5pm

Clear skies currently. Moon is out. I would go out with my telescope but it's too cold :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Windy in the west once again, 9pm:

Newport gusting 47 knots
    Mace head 44 knots
    Knock 40 knots
    Finner 40 knots

(Malin head 962hpa @ 9pm)

Advertisement