Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Is it just me or is there a tiny bit of grand stretch in the evenings, already??

Noticed that too ,especially on a clear evening like this evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Is that Magilligan No. 2?

No. It’s this one.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAVAD4

Is that Magilligan No. 2?

No. It’s this one.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAVAD4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could be some wintry potential tomorrow for central parts of the country and parts of Leinster, looks mostly light, could well be sleety rain and hill snow associated with it.

24-574PUK.GIF?30-12

temperatures again look fairly raw tomorrow in the eastern half of the country.

24-580PUK.GIF?30-12

dewpoints however are set to increase above 0C along with the precipitation so it does look very marginal.

30-101PUK.GIF?30-12

Is it just me or is there a tiny bit of grand stretch in the evenings, already??

Yes definitely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Technically yeah, only by about 10 minutes at this stage.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin

Met eireann

Tomorrow morning, there will be scattered wintry showers and some sunny spells, mainly in the west and northwest. More persistent rain will affect the northeast during the morning, falling as sleet or snow in places, before extending southwards over the east and southeast through the afternoon and evening. Elsewhere, showers will become more isolated. Highest temperatures of 3 to 6 degrees but feeling colder in fresh and gusty northerly winds.

Perhaps some could get lucky........we will see

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We have just had a very heavy rain shower here.

The thick cloud has eased and gentled the intense cold.

Blessedly wind free. Calm and silent. Snug night ahead!

Into the last day of the year.

West mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Graces7 wrote: »
    We have just had a very heavy rain shower here.

The thick cloud has eased and gentled the intense cold.

Blessedly wind free. Calm and silent. Snug night ahead!

Into the last day of the year.

West mayo offshore

very poetic well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

frosty in Dublin 5 already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

A band of sleet and snow moving in from the northeast tomorrow during the day. It will be sleet or rain along the coast and wet snow further inland. Accumulations very unlikely except high grounds of Louth, Kildare and Wicklow. In land Dublin may have a temporary accumulation before it turn back to sleet and cold rain due to the onshore winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

5 day dew point forecast animation from the ICON:

https://streamable.com/qybao9

As winterly northerlies go, this has been the lamest and most pointless I think I have ever lived through. Dp temps of over 0c, and warming, on a long fetch northerly. We would actually manage to get more frost and snow from a bog standard cool westerly than from this here in the west, and that's saying something.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Not liking the latest models, trying to bring low pressure off the Atlantic again. Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

We could spend the next two months chasing and then just as we're ready for some warmer weather we end up with snow in March and a cold spring. As a keen gardener thats my bigger fear

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

Not liking the latest models, trying to bring low pressure off the Atlantic again. Oh dear.

So you’ve thrown in the towel already have you. Relax and chill, plenty of ups and downs to come with the SSW complicating things further.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When I went out seeking one of the cats, it was into a magical, enchanted silver-gilt world.

Turning the corner of the building to where the ocean is in open view.. All was bright, white, silver. the moon huge and low, and doubled by reflection .. its pure light silvering the wide calm waters. Serene, lambent.

So much LIGHT! In every direction, unhampered by trees or tall buildings . As far as the horizon; a world of moonlight! Wide and free and a shining.

West mayo offshore

Graces7 wrote: »
    When I went out seeking one of the cats, it was into a magical, enchanted silver-gilt world.

Turning the corner of the building to where the ocean is in open view.. All was bright, white, silver. the moon huge and low, and doubled by reflection .. its pure light silvering the wide calm waters. Serene, lambent.

So much LIGHT! In every direction, unhampered by trees or tall buildings . As far as the horizon; a world of moonlight! Wide and free and a shining.

West mayo offshore

Yes indeed, the moon and moolight is just magical this evening and it rose as far to the NE as I have ever seen.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Lmao

ECM is a "downgrade" relatively speaking as it goes back to showing a west based -NAO but the trend of late has been getting away from west based -NAO so I don't see this as a trendsetter at the moment. Also, if that's considered a "poor run" then we're in good hands. Lots of things to figure out, models can't even give full certainty with next week's easterly on details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

So you’ve thrown in the towel already have you. Relax and chill, plenty of ups and downs to come with the SSW complicating things further.

No, but I was hoping the trend would continue. Hopefully these later charts are mild outliers and will change next run. The next 3 or 4 ECMs are crucial for January winter weather I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

No, but I was hoping the trend would continue. Hopefully these later charts are mild outliers and will change next run. The next 3 or 4 ECMs are crucial for January winter weather I feel.

I think a milder interlude may well happen during the second week of January, but i remain fairly confident it will be short lived. I don't think we'll see a return to normal Atlantic service long term. In the meantime, i'm going to enjoy the snow that is here now!

• Advertisement

There is snow right now? Where?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    There is snow right now? Where?

Well I have some :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Well I have some :cool:

Same. 80 quid a bag

I think a milder interlude may well happen during the second week of January, but i remain fairly confident it will be short lived. I don't think we'll see a return to normal Atlantic service long term. In the meantime, i'm going to enjoy the snow that is here now!

My worry is that if we dont get a decent cold spell before mid Jan is the fact that we haven't had a decent cold spell in this country in the second half of January in years. I suppose it has to happen again sometime but it is amazing how devoid of proper cold spells we have had in the second half of January for donkeys years.
    Even the great but relatively short cold spell of 87 fizzled out by the second half. Think we have to go back to at least the mid 80s that delivered a proper cold spell during the latter half of Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

No snow this afternoon on the conor pass. Saw some on Mount Brandon.

Mixed afternoon of sunshine and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Both 18z gfs runs (operational and par) bring a slice of ppn down the centre of the country tomorrow...
    Snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lunar Corona out there tonight

57-BF624-D-4350-49-D6-A893-25-C3648-EF904.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Both 18z gfs runs (operational and par) bring a slice of ppn down the centre of the country tomorrow...
    Snow!

Seeing Met E showing light snow and sleet for Naas. So a few minutes show? I'm glad it is happening during the day because the lamp posts still don't have electricity in our new estate. -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Hope you are right but GFS shows it as rain and having flicked through a good few other models only euro 04 in any way supports snow over low ground (and very patchily) so not a convert yet....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A cold, clear night here. Moon is very bright. Haven't seen a night like this in a long while.

Advertisement