Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Lovely liquid snow (i.e. rain) falling in Celbridge. An awful cold, wet day, after the amazing frost overnight.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Moonlit sky last night:
    gxiynJ4.png

I've seen a couple of people now posting photos like that. Did you use your phone or a camera? What settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Almost back to full snow in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

pad199207 wrote: »

Pad is on the right side of marginal :O

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Moonlit sky last night:

Glad you got a snap of it Oneiric. For me, last night was one of the real highlights of the winter so far. The countryside was white after a dusting from a couple of snow showers earlier and this had frozen over due to a crisp frost that gave a lovely crunch underfoot. The bright moon illuminated this picturesque wintry scene as far as one could see and the snow capped mountains in the distance looked majestic. The winter star constellations were at their best with the sparkling Sirius a fitting spotlight on this scene. It was also nice and still here early in the night and the moon was bright enough to light up the tops of snow shower clouds in the far off distance.
    Glad to see that a good few others got to see some flakes also.
    Thankfully, yesterday was a nice bright and crisp day in these parts. Back to the scaldy old stuff today though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

pad199207 wrote: »

Full on rain in Kildare North - 1.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Starting to have some buildup in the grass. Still incredibly wet snow but it's trying. S.Kildare. 60m asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Took a drive half way to Castlecomer - on the way it was sleet from 100m to around 250m. On the way back home snow line had dropped to 150m. Now back down and it's sleet.

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1344664078191624192?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Back to the scaldy old stuff today though!

The perfect description Goldfinch!

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I've seen a couple of people now posting photos like that. Did you use your phone or a camera? What settings?

Phone. 'Night Mode' and default setting. Took ages to 'render' though. Had to hold the phone 'still' for nearly half a minute, which wasn't a great success, given how smudgy the photo looks.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

To borrow a phrase my dad is fond of, the weather today is complete and utter pish here (D16).

Sleety mess earlier in the day, dull grey skies with drizzle now. Would be as well going back to bed and it's only half 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

After a cold morning and few icy spots on the roads it has turned into a sunny but chilly afternoon in East Clare...

The wind would go through you !!

Heavy snow now. Sticking to all surfaces!

Surprised. How long will it last? Minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Decent snowfall in Baltinglass at the moment on the cams

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Dropped from 2.5 to 0.9 at my station in Carlow the last hour. First day using my weather station I got for Christmas. 2.0mm precipitation so far today. Snowing heavy now and starting to stick. Accuweather still has it falling as rain for the evening but should get a nice amount if it stays as snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Cw85 wrote: »
    Dropped from 2.5 to 0.9 at my station in Carlow the last hour. First day using my weather station I got for Christmas. 2.0mm precipitation so far today. Snowing heavy now and starting to stick. Accuweather still has it falling as rain for the evening but should get a nice amount if it stays as snow

Which weather station?

Turning lighter now and back to rainy sleet.

Precip is starting to arc away from me in S.Kildare now on radar. A shame. When it pulls back later wonder what it will fall as! intensity dependent or will milder air eventually mix out?

• Advertisement

Phone. 'Night Mode' and default setting. Took ages to 'render' though. Had to hold the phone 'still' for nearly half a minute, which wasn't a great success, given how smudgy the photo looks.

Nah, it came out grand! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The day's thread makes grand reading...and at least many got some snow on and off - and even a snowman and baby! WOW!

A taste of things to come..

A North wind cranking up and growling and howling out here, and hurling wet stuff against the windows. as it grows less and less light on this poignant last evening of this strange year.

An old song remind us " The North wind doth blow
    And we shall have snow..
    And what till Cock Robiin do then, poor things.."

Maybe tonight will grant snow yet
    as the wind is right for it.

Stay safe and enjoy any celebrations....

happily snowless in west mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Snowy and foggy Dublin Mountains this afternoon.

951MGTs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Horrible cold wet evening outside now, 4c with a stiff northerly wind.
    No trace of the snow from earlier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a horrible day in Meath too which started off very promising with a thick frost and then 10 minutes of snow which very quickly turned to heavy sleet for a time and then cold rain. Everything saturated outside again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Wet windy cold evening thoroughly miserable. Jesus what I wouldn’t give to be somewhere with bright sunshine and temps in the mid to high 20s . Hate this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Which weather station?

I got a 5 in 1 Bresser weather station have it set up in Carlow Town

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wet windy cold evening thoroughly miserable. Jesus what I wouldn’t give to be somewhere with bright sunshine and temps in the mid to high 20s . Hate this time of the year.

I love being snug and warm in by the turf fire when it is raging and deluging outside... Unbeatable..

Jaysus it's muck out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A wet and cold evening here. If only it was snowing here like in other parts of the country - Wexford seems to have a snow shield just like Cork does :rolleyes:

Advertisement