Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A wet and cold evening here. If only it was snowing here like in other parts of the country - Wexford seems to have a snow shield just like Cork does :rolleyes:

not much different elsewhere with the exception of hills and mountains, this cold spell is on the wrong side of marginal for the majority of the country below 200 meters. The vast majority of snow scenes we have seen are taken on trips to high ground with anything on lower levels transitional dustings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Would love to put my weather station online. But I couldn’t justify the £200 for weatherlink live.

Gonzo wrote: »
    not much different elsewhere with the exception of hills and mountains, this cold spell is on the wrong side of marginal for the majority of the country below 200 meters. The vast majority of snow scenes we have seen are taken on trips to high ground with anything on lower levels transitional dustings.

It snowed here this morning and yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Graces7 wrote: »
    I love being snug and warm in by the turf fire when it is raging and deluging outside... Unbeatable..

I’d rather be beside the sea with a nice sun beating down on me dining al fresco. Raging and deluging means pissing rain and howling wind and to be honest I’ve no interest in burning turf but horses for courses.

I’d rather be beside the sea with a nice sun beating down on me dining al fresco. Raging and deluging means pissing rain and howling wind and to be honest I’ve no interest in burning turf but horses for courses.

Good luck with that in Europe mid winter. I have a second home in Spain, with my brother, and the temperature there is 3c right now. Admittedly it is up the mountains. In summer we get 35+ for 3 months.

Anyway Clonmel, you have one life. If the weather bothers you so much, leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There is nothing quite like going for a long nighttime walk in the countryside and smelling the turf fires as you pass the neighbours.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Would love to put my weather station online. But I couldn’t justify the £200 for weatherlink live.

Just connect the Davis console to the laptop, thats how it's done by most
    No need for weatherlink live, although I have one running separately

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Just connect the Davis console to the laptop, thats how it's done by most
    No need for weatherlink live, although I have one running separately

And that costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

And that costs?

Did you not get WeatherLink along with your station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

If this heavy rain falling on Bray for the last 2 hours and for the next 2 by the looks of it is falling as snow up the Wicklow Mountains then the likes of Roundwood is getting buried.....

So whats the story Roundwood folks. Not posting because you are out frolicking in a foot of snow in blizzard conditions and the phone/internet lines are down????......or not posting because you are seething that Carlow and Blessington got snow earlier but you are getting pissed on like Bray instead????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Calibos wrote: »
    If this heavy rain falling on Bray for the last 2 hours and for the next 2 by the looks of it is falling as snow up the Wicklow Mountains then the likes of Roundwood is getting buried.....

So whats the story Roundwood folks. Not posting because you are out frolicking in a foot of snow in blizzard conditions and the phone/internet lines are down????......or not posting because you are seething that Carlow and Blessington got snow earlier but you are getting pissed on like Bray instead????

Pissing rain in Roundwood. +2.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

greetings from Sweden
    nice to see some parts of Ireland getting decent snow and low temperatures
    it's great reading all the reports from the different counties.
    I see some of you are hoping for an Easterly to bring even colder weather in the next week or two so thought I'd let you know what's happening over this way.
    the temperatures in the south of Sweden and Denmark have been unusually mild all winter so far but the long term forecasts for the next ten days show a gradual cooling off to a daytime max of around minus 1 so you might have to wait a bit longer for any real cold from the east.
    There has been plenty of snow and low temps in the north of Sweden however.
    Kittelfjäll is reporting a snow depth of 80cm today and daytime temps in the north have been between -10 and -15.
    hoping you all get a decent snowfall to remember soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Calibos wrote: »

Snowline has been rising all day. It's at about 600m now so it's just rain below that washing away the snow that fell earlier. Any decent snow confined to the higher peaks by tomorrow morning I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If I had a gun right now, I'd make use of it with those idiots letting off fireworks for no other reason but the aimless attempt to fill in the endless void that is their pointless existence.

New Moon

And that costs?

Nothing. You can download full WeatherLink software from here:
    https://www.weatherlink.com/account

New Moon

I don’t believe I have anything to connect it to my computer.

Weatherlink Live is expensive, but it is worth it and is a good investment for the weather geek. Got it recently and very happy with it. No wired connections and an app to always see what the current readings are without having to run up the stairs to look at console. Actually negates the need for a console (but it is still nice to have!)

Good review of it here. It is this vid that placed temptation my way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvdxpmH6nQ

New Moon

And that costs?

Its included in weather station packs on purchase usually, where did you buy it?

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Its included in weather station packs on purchase usually, where did you buy it?

I bought it on some English website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Although the West based Nao seems to be getting a foothold, I’d honestly take a few days of streamers off the east coast next week & then hopefully something more interesting come February/March. Still a long way to go this winter i feel

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS currently updating, the real cold is still bottled up north of Iceland and Scandinavia. Eastern and especially south-east Europe looks like it's going to turn very mild. Wintry showers for some eastern coasts of Ireland, particularly the southern half of Leinster.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Weatherlink Live is expensive, but it is worth it and is a good investment for the weather geek. Got it recently and very happy with it. No wired connections and an app to always see what the current readings are without having to run up the stairs to look at console. Actually negates the need for a console (but it is still nice to have!)

Yeah I have it,had some reception issues but have ironed them out
    Its down side is it requires a subscription but worth it
    Incidently if your console ever plays up,a vantage Vue console which might be cheaper to source works fine with the vantage pro2 station

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A Happy...and hopefully snowy...New Year to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A Happy...and hopefully snowy...New Year to you all.

Same to you and here, 2020 one to forget for many reasons.

Went out back to look at the distant fireworks and noticed the ground sparkling where it was frozen this morning before the rain even though the air temperature is still 2.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

First thing Saturday morning is one to watch for those in Leinster but you'll have to be up early, risk of some light to moderate snowfall for a time probably showery in nature. Quite similar to yesterday morning in fact but possibly more precipitation potential. Again this would be falling on frozen ground.

nmm-0-40-0.png?31-23

Wouldn't be surprised to see another dusting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Happy new year all

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

NEW YEAR BLESSINGS!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Decent enough start to winter here in Dublin 16. Mean temp for December (here) of 5.1c which is actually coldest December since 2010.

Very much looking forward to next weeks northeasterly airflow! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Good morning Kermit...... I hear the UK have taken your name in vain and are using it for the Kent permits needed before the lorry drivers even get close to Dover...... they are calling it a Kermit! The cheek!
    Not a whiff of snow here at the mo. S Sligo 150m asl

Advertisement