Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Place white, including roads, with frost and ice earlier this morning, yet the temp didn't fall below +2.0c. :rolleyes:

New Moon

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Incidently if your console ever plays up,a vantage Vue console which might be cheaper to source works fine with the vantage pro2 station

That is interesting to know! didn't think it would compatible but the console for the Vue is a nicer, sleeker looking machine altogether than the archaic looking DV2 one.

Started the WLL subscription only last month. 40 E a year so the plan is to throw a euro into a dedicated jar every week.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That is interesting to know! didn't think it would compatible but the console for the Vue is a nicer, sleeker looking machine altogether than the archaic looking DV2 one.

Started the WLL subscription only last month. 40 E a year so the plan is to throw a euro into a dedicated jar every week.

Yeah I have a vue console running off the vantage pro2 in another room and the weatherlink pro device in another room and the main vantage 2 console is in the office connected to the pc
    All 3 are recording the same datafrom the weather station now
    The exception used be the weatherlink when it was in a weak signal room
    It was losing rain data and missing wind gusts
    Something to note

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Does anyone have their daily PRC totals recorded for yesterday? Seemed to me to be alot more than what was forecasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Beautiful sunny morning here in North County Dublin.

Will get out for nice walk now shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The mountains are almost back to their winterdark cloaks.

And a deep still chill pervading the air.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

Graces7 wrote: »
    The mountains are almost back to their winterdark cloaks.

And a deep still chill pervading the air.

west mayo offshore

Happy New Year to you Graces7 love your posts! Stay safe and warm out there in your island!

Have been a long time lurker on this forum but never ever post even though I use the weather on a daily basis when I’m working. So thank you to everyone who contributes I’ve learnt a lot in the past 11 years on this forum. Hopefully 2021 will be a better year for us all weather wise etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Still some snow hanging on in the shaded spots. Hopefully it is waiting for more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

First thing Saturday morning is one to watch for those in Leinster but you'll have to be up early, risk of some light to moderate snowfall for a time probably showery in nature. Quite similar to yesterday morning in fact but possibly more precipitation potential. Again this would be falling on frozen ground.

nmm-0-40-0.png?31-23

Wouldn't be surprised to see another dusting here.

This is still on for the morning. I'm setting my alarm clock for 5:30 am. Don't let me down :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Place white, including roads, with frost and ice earlier this morning, yet the temp didn't fall below +2.0c. :rolleyes:

I noticed there was still some snow on the ground at my work this morning despite the 6c temps yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Yeah I have a vue console running off the vantage pro2 in another room and the weatherlink pro device in another room and the main vantage 2 console is in the office connected to the pc
    All 3 are recording the same datafrom the weather station now
    The exception used be the weatherlink when it was in a weak signal room
    It was losing rain data and missing wind gusts
    Something to note

And this has all cost what? £300?

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    And this has all cost what? £300?

Various upgrades over time
    I had an oregon Pacific station here for a while too but returned it
    You should have got a data logger with the davis station as a package

https://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/davis-6510-weatherlink-usb

At this stage for the sake of an extra 50 quid,I'd be saving for the weatherlink pro device
    I think I have an old data logger here but with a serial connection which I could post to you for free if you wish,I'll have a look
    You'd just either hook it to an old pc or buy some kind of cheap adapter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Good luck with that in Europe mid winter. I have a second home in Spain, with my brother, and the temperature there is 3c right now. Admittedly it is up the mountains. In summer we get 35+ for 3 months.

Anyway Clonmel, you have one life. If the weather bothers you so much, leave.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Anyone got eyes on Croagh Patrick? If so, where is the snow line?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

An interesting UK Met Office update:

According to them by mid month we will likely get a milder period, although the far north may hang on to colder weather, before colder weather returns with a chance of snow. Of course that does not guarantee we will be cold- we could stay mild, while the UK goes into the freezer, but hopefully it means a Greenland high with the Siberian express rolling into Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Most parts of the Southern parts of the UK get less snow than Northern and Eastern parts of Ireland.

Have a friend in Devon in South West England who said the beast from the east in 2018 brought very little to them but hammered the east coast of Ireland especially.

Even worse than the south of England is Brittany in France.

Wouldn't want to be a snow lover there.

Even worse than the south of England is Brittany in France.

Wouldn't want to be a snow lover there.

I absolutely adore Brittany and spend a few weeks every Summer over there (Southern Brittany). The weather is usually quite sunny and warm but rarely very hot but winters are exceptionally mild with very little snow ever unless you go further inland around Rennes where it has a similar climate to inland Southern England.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

An interesting UK Met Office update:

According to them by mid month we will likely get a milder period, although the far north may hang on to colder weather, before colder weather returns with a chance of snow. Of course that does not guarantee we will be cold- we could stay mild, while the UK goes into the freezer, but hopefully it means a Greenland high with the Siberian express rolling into Ireland

the very extended ECM also going for a mild second half/last third of January with the jetstream back over us. At week 6 it hints at it going cold again which would be early to mid February.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A clear sunny day in wexford. If it's like this on New Years day, hopefully it means we'll get plenty of sunshine this year :D

A clear sunny day in wexford. If it's like this on New Years day, hopefully it means we'll get plenty of sunshine this year :D

Nothing like a blue sky to lift one's spirits both in winter and Summer.

I love the sunshine.

I'd gladly welcome some real mild and active at this stage because this current spell of cool weather is just trash, and not just any old trash, but absolute trash. It's a sad job when you can barely even manage to get an air frost in a cold spell in Winter.

On another note, December's temperatures finished very near to very slightly below average. Pretty wet though in many places.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

interesting that Met Eireann have updated their outlook on their website for next week just now, and it reads much more wintry than earlier .....temperatures struggling above freezing with wintry showers or longer spells of sleet or snow and hard frosts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'd gladly welcome some real mild and active at this stage because this current spell of cool weather is just trash, and not just any old trash, but absolute trash. It's a sad job when you can barely even manage to get an air frost in a cold spell in Winter.

On another note, December's temperatures finished very near to very slightly below average. Pretty wet though in many places.

up to now this cold spell is no better than a typical cold zonal set up with cold rain and wintry conditions mostly over high ground and some very transitional stuff at lower levels. Hopefully next week will deliver the goods a bit more but as of now even next week is still looking on the marginal side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    interesting that Met Eireann have updated their outlook on their website for next week just now, and it reads much more wintry than earlier .....temperatures struggling above freezing with wintry showers or longer spells of sleet or snow and hard frosts

That is an interesting update but that forecast usually gets diluted as time period gets closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

More snow forecast as new 'Beast from the East' barrels towards Britain - MIRROR

Britain faces a winter mauling from a new ‘Beast from the East’, forecasters have warned.

The country started the New Year in the grip of an icy Arctic blast.

And shivering Brits have been warned there could be worse to come in the form of a sub-zero Siberian onslaught.

The atmospheric conditions which led to the bitter ‘Beast from the East’ in February 2018 are forming again.

Two years ago much of the UK was gripped by travel chaos and school closures after heavy snow.

It followed in the wake of a sudden stratospheric warming (SSW), which causes colder air from the east to be sucked over the UK.

Gonzo wrote: »
    up to now this cold spell is no better than a typical cold zonal set up with cold rain and wintry conditions mostly over high ground and some very transitional stuff at lower levels. Hopefully next week will deliver the goods a bit more but as of now even next week is still looking on the marginal side.

You'll probably get a dusting in the morning :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Despite the air temperature reaching 5c today theres still plenty of white frost in the shade out there.
    IMG-20210101-145721.jpgp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

aidanodr wrote: »
    More snow forecast as new 'Beast from the East' barrels towards Britain - MIRROR

Britain faces a winter mauling from a new ‘Beast from the East’, forecasters have warned.

The country started the New Year in the grip of an icy Arctic blast.

And shivering Brits have been warned there could be worse to come in the form of a sub-zero Siberian onslaught.

The atmospheric conditions which led to the bitter ‘Beast from the East’ in February 2018 are forming again.

Two years ago much of the UK was gripped by travel chaos and school closures after heavy snow.

It followed in the wake of a sudden stratospheric warming (SSW), which causes colder air from the east to be sucked over the UK.

Is the Mirror reputable where weather is concerned?

Advertisement