Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

aidanodr wrote: »
    More snow forecast as new 'Beast from the East' barrels towards Britain - MIRROR

Britain faces a winter mauling from a new ‘Beast from the East’, forecasters have warned.

The country started the New Year in the grip of an icy Arctic blast.

And shivering Brits have been warned there could be worse to come in the form of a sub-zero Siberian onslaught.

The atmospheric conditions which led to the bitter ‘Beast from the East’ in February 2018 are forming again.

Two years ago much of the UK was gripped by travel chaos and school closures after heavy snow.

It followed in the wake of a sudden stratospheric warming (SSW), which causes colder air from the east to be sucked over the UK.

FFS :rolleyes: Clueless "journalism".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

More snow forecast as new 'Beast from the East' barrels towards Britain - MIRROR

Britain faces a winter mauling from a new ‘Beast from the East’, forecasters have warned.

And shivering Brits have been warned there could be worse to come in the form of a sub-zero Siberian onslaught.

The atmospheric conditions which led to the bitter ‘Beast from the East’ in February 2018 are forming again.

Two years ago much of the UK was gripped by travel chaos and school closures after heavy snow.

It followed in the wake of a sudden stratospheric warming (SSW), which causes colder air from the east to be sucked over the UK.
    I would take that with a grain of salt considering it is the mirror. Still, interesting, even though Wexford's snow shield will prevent it from snowing here. If it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Dont shoot the messenger lads :D

More here:

January Beast from the East: snow and sudden stratospheric warming

I remember the last one in 2018:

snow2018-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Maybe a bit more than a dusting...

21-580UK.GIF?01-12

21-101UK.GIF?01-12

21-574UK.GIF?01-12

24-574UK.GIF?01-12

Always best to have equal focus on what's immediately in front

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The Top 10 Jobs That Attract Psychopaths:

1. CEO

2. Lawyer

3. Media (Television/Radio)

4. Salesperson

5. Surgeon

6. Journalist

7. Police officer

8. Clergy person

9. Chef

10. Civil servant

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2013/01/05/the-top-10-jobs-that-attract-psychopaths/?sh=6541fa254d80

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'd gladly welcome some real mild and active at this stage because this current spell of cool weather is just trash, and not just any old trash, but absolute trash. It's a sad job when you can barely even manage to get an air frost in a cold spell in Winter.

On another note, December's temperatures finished very near to very slightly below average. Pretty wet though in many places.

How can you call crisp, dry, sunny, blue sky clear days with night frosts trash weather? Give me that over 13c with persistent drizzle mild muck any day! Many of us already had one surprise dusting yesterday and with ME's latest update for next week looking promising for snow lovers, it's not trash at all in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

ongarboy wrote: »
    How can you call crisp, dry, sunny, blue sky clear days with night frosts trash weather? Give me that over 13c with persistent drizzle mild muck any day! Many of us already had one surprise dusting yesterday and with ME's latest update for next week looking promising for snow lovers, it's not trash at all in my opinion!
    I agree 100%. A spell of mild atlantic muck would be the icing on the cake with this new lockdown. I would much prefer some proper icing, as in snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

ongarboy wrote: »

Have to agree. It was lovely on Wednesday. I cannot stand constant wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is the Mirror reputable where weather is concerned?

Met Office UK mentioning same or similar it seams ..

Met Office forecast for start of 2021 as forecasters warn of 'sudden stratospheric warming' in next two weeks - WALES ONLINE

In 2018, the weather phenomenon resulted in Wales being hit by the Beast from the East

Met Office forecaster Alex Deakin said: "Charts are showing something interesting happening in the next 10 days high above the North Pole.

"The winds high up in the atmosphere are going to drop down and change and that is called Sudden Stratospheric Warming where suddenly high up in the sky about the North Pole temperatures suddenly jump up.

"It can have an affect on the weather across the UK but in another weeks time."

Some people are very easily pleased. 'Crisp weather'? You call what was a near constant stream of cold, miserable light rain showers in a nagging wind since this spell began 'crisp'? with temps hovering about 2c to 4c degrees both day and night? I must be getting old and set in my ways, because if this is what now constitutes a winterly spell of weather with you young 'uns, then you are welcome to it. My standards are higher.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I cannot stand constant wind and rain.

That is precisely what we got during this spell.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Nothing like a blue sky to lift one's spirits both in winter and Summer.

I love the sunshine.

I'm the exact same. Cold out there today but once its sunny I don't care.

That's why I preferred Autumn to summer because it was so much sunnier!

It's been great weather here in general over the past three days, except for yesterday afternoon and evening, which was shíte. But nights and mornings were great, and today is another fine day for a walk. Yes, it's not the west, which maybe hasn't fared as well, but it's proper seasonal weather for here for this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'd gladly welcome some real mild and active at this stage because this current spell of cool weather is just trash, and not just any old trash, but absolute trash. It's a sad job when you can barely even manage to get an air frost in a cold spell in Winter.

On another note, December's temperatures finished very near to very slightly below average. Pretty wet though in many places.

Well, i have to slightly disagree with you and Gonzo here, while i'd dearly love to see ice days with several inches of snow on the ground, i'm just glad to get any opportunity to see snow fall, with some of it settling. I also love days like today that are cold and dry.
    I much prefer this to days of endless rain. This time last year was dire with the never ending conveyor belt of low pressure over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's been great weather here in general over the past three days, except for yesterday afternoon and evening, which was shíte. But nights and mornings were great, and today is another fine day for a walk. Yes, it's not the west, which maybe hasn't fared as well, but it's proper seasonal weather for here for this time of the year.

Superb walking weather in Galway the last few days. More of this is just what we need. Lovely sunsets and full moons too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I would take that with a grain of salt considering it is the mirror. Still, interesting, even though Wexford's snow shield will prevent it from snowing here. If it happens.

I hope you are remembering the " Snow Dance"? It could make all the difference!

Even in Wexford ;)

Well, i have to slightly disagree with you and Gonzo here, while i'd dearly love to see ice days with several inches of snow on the ground, i'm just glad to get any opportunity to see snow fall, with some of it settling. I also love days like today that are cold and dry.
    I much prefer this to days of endless rain. This time last year was dire with the never ending conveyor belt of low pressure over us.

I've seen more snow, and would expect more snow, from a bog standard westerly.

Bring on the Atlantic. Embrace this trash if you must, but I shall not! :P

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I've seen more snow, and would expect more snow, from a bog standard westerly.

Bring on the Atlantic. Embrace this trash if you must, but I shall not! :P

For weather you say is trash, you had a nice picture because of it the other night.:p In general you don't see many people out snapping lovely photos of the Wind and Rain.
    The only way I will embrace the Atlantic is if it leads to a 36 hour frontal snow event. I have asked M.T. Cranium to work his magic on this! I'll settle for a 24 hour event.

For weather you say is trash, you had a nice picture because of it the other night.:p In general you don't see many people out snapping lovely photos of the Wind and Rain.
    The only way I will embrace the Atlantic is if it leads to a 36 hour frontal snow event. I have asked M.T. Cranium to work his magic on this! I'll settle for a 24 hour event.

As I have said before, if it is to be cold, then let it be a cold worth being cold for. Hovering just above freezing both day and night might be acceptable for some, but it isn't for me, because it is nothing but a nuisance value. To hell with relatively, just give me the absolute!

New Moon

Loch Glascarnoch (265 m amsl), in northern Scotland, has done fairly well snow-wise over the past few days. Snow depths as high as 22 cm recorded, but currently down to 11 cm. It's not that high up.

537914.PNG

537915.png

• Advertisement

Loch Glascarnoch (265 m amsl), in northern Scotland, has done fairly well snow-wise over the past few days. Snow depths as high as 22 cm recorded, but currently down to 11 cm. It's not that high up.

Just wondering if there is an instrument error there with the snow depth reading. That spike at 00Z on Thursday seems suspicious, though it did occur after a couple of snow showers, and then there was a more continuous period of moderate-heavy snowfall during the morning and afternoon. Maybe it is legit. :confused:

537917.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Anyone got eyes on Croagh Patrick? If so, where is the snow line?

Tried in vain to get a clear view of the whole mountain this afternoon on a number of occasions but between a few passing light showers or a bit of cloud on the top third of it, I could not make out the snow line on it.
    I did however see some nice pictures from the snowy summit yesterday and the day before from a few friends who climbed it.
    Just for a point of reference, I have a clear view of Nephin which is nearer to me than the Reek, and this afternoon I reckon that the snow line was certainly above 500m and maybe even closer to 600m. Croagh Patrick is also next to Clew Bay, so being closer to the sea could possibly rise that level also.
    Happy hiking if you get out!

537920.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Salt hill sun set.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Tried in vain to get a clear view of the whole mountain this afternoon on a number of occasions but between a few passing light showers or a bit of cloud on the top third of it, I could not make out the snow line on it.
    I did however see some nice pictures from the snowy summit yesterday and the day before from a few friends who climbed it.
    Just for a point of reference, I have a clear view of Nephin which is nearer to me than the Reek, and this afternoon I reckon that the snow line was certainly above 500m and maybe even closer to 600m. Croagh Patrick is also next to Clew Bay, so being closer to the sea could possibly rise that level also.
    Happy hiking if you get out!

You're a legend, thanks. Nephin look impressive too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Tonight's ecm shows -7c uppers in the east of the country on Tuesday. IF any showers form in the irish sea on tuesday possibly falling as snow a few km inland?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Maybe a bit more than a dusting...

21-580UK.GIF?01-12

21-101UK.GIF?01-12

21-574UK.GIF?01-12

24-574UK.GIF?01-12

Always best to have equal focus on what's immediately in front

Models still showing this, Kermit,

Meanwhile
    Last frame of tonights ECM is basically a January 1982 snowstorm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Really good frost the last 2 nights here, most of it had melted by the time I surfaced though 😉.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Models still showing this, Kermit,

Yes but it will be a showery trough so hit and miss. Gonzo could steal it from us :(

Anyhow my alarm is set for 5:45 am. Expect disappointment and you can't be disappointed I say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭circadian

Freezing already here in Dublin 9, slippery twinkles on the path outside.

Advertisement