Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Billcarson wrote: »
    Tonight's ecm shows -7c uppers in the east of the country on Tuesday. IF any showers form in the irish sea on tuesday possibly falling as snow a few km inland?

for the most part, some distance inland will be needed but the ECM is showing more favourable conditions for the east coast for a brief window on Tuesday morning. it's seriously marginal though, it was looking a bit better yesterday. the GFS is even more marginal but it shows that window of opportunity on Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So are we actually expecting a blast of snow overnight in the east?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

lawred2 wrote: »

Dusting at most, looks like Most of Dublin will miss it, slipping into Gonzos back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lawred2 wrote: »

A showery trough through Ulster later in the night in to Leinster by circa 6 am. Almost certainly some flakes and a dusting for some but hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Meanwhile
    Last frame of tonights ECM is basically a January 1982 snowstorm

Was looking at that on the ECM hi res :-) Not long now until we finally hit a jackpot. There are cold pools developing nicely to our North and East. The only thing is the SSW is yet to happen and will probably change current setups around so lot's more climbs and twists to come on the rollercoaster yet!

• Advertisement

Current temperatures. Going to be an icy night, in my my part of north Dub pavements are quite damp.

temp_uk.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I am not seeing the trough working out. Freezing levels are 600 metres and the wet bulb freezing level is not low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I am not seeing the trough working out. Freezing levels are 600 metres and the wet bulb freezing level is not low.

It's an onshore maritime air source for you so things will not be so much in your favour. Further inland and coastal areas with an off-shore breeze will have lower figures.

Actually no

Oh for goodness sake

That's valid for midday tomorrow

Try somewhere further inland for 06z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Apparently, Gerry Murphy has just a booked a holiday abroad after seeing the latest day 10 ECM Chart.

Oh for goodness sake

That's valid for midday tomorrow

Try somewhere further inland for 06z

Why such a reaction? It’s still not productive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met eireann after 9pm news really dialing up the cold period ahead. They said a dusting of snow in the north and east tonight. Then saying it will get even colder in the week ahead with daytime temps close to freezing. They said a lot of dry weather but wintry falls most likely in the east. Very promising January at least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Met eireann after 9pm news really dialing up the cold period ahead. They said a dusting of snow in the north and east tonight. Then saying it will get even colder in the week ahead with daytime temps close to freezing. They said a lot of dry weather but wintry falls most likely in the east. Very promising January at least

Yep and mentioned freezing fog as well,very cold and mostly dry,can't complain too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im thinking that when you get that cold in january it means proper cold?! like daylight still very limited but i think we gained about 12 min already in evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well, promising for the East....sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yeah but the promising part is the extended cold with big potential. Definitely the most interesting January in years in terms of potential

quote="leahyl;115772976"]Well, promising for the East....sigh[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Apparently, Gerry Murphy has just a booked a holiday abroad after seeing the latest day 10 ECM Chart.

Now Now Nacho
    Don't diss Gerry, he came good back in 2010 when he couldn't get enough of the stuff , he even tried to tear down the Cork snow shield.

goYHzfU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

leahyl wrote: »
    Well, promising for the East....sigh

The same was said in late Feb 18 but Waterford and Cork were buried by streamers too. If the wind is due east, or east north east, then Waterford and Cork effectively become part of our east coast and get big, beefy, long fetch streamers. If wind is north east (to a greater degree than the curve of our southern coast) then sadly its Wexford up only. That happened in 2010 (any Cork snow then was off the Atlantic).and Feb 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

The same was said in late Feb 18 but Waterford and Cork were buried by streamers too. If the wind is due east, or east north east, then Waterford and Cork effectively become part of our east coast and get big, beefy, long fetch streamers. If wind is north east (to a greater degree than the curve of our southern coast) then sadly its Wexford up only. That happened in 2010 (any Cork snow then was off the Atlantic).and Feb 2008.

How would East County Galway fare in this set up? Please say good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Pangea wrote: »
    Now Now Nacho
    Don't diss Gerry, he came good back in 2010 when he couldn't get enough of the stuff , he even tried to tear down the Cork snow shield.

goYHzfU.jpg

Is that picture from tonight?

KingJeremy wrote: »
    How would East County Galway fare in this set up? Please say good

Bad.... Maybe a flurry or light snow shower as a result of a large and heavy shower that arrived into the East.

Is that picture from tonight?

My educated guess is No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Dickie10 wrote: »
    im thinking that when you get that cold in january it means proper cold?! like daylight still very limited but i think we gained about 12 min already in evenings.

It's gas the daylight gain is a bit like the vaccine roll out this year. When we reach 21 March and day is longer than night we'll hopefully be at the vaccine tipping point:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Pangea wrote: »
    Now Now Nacho

goYHzfU.jpg

My joke is a bit late... anyway..

I hear Gerry Murphy has released a new song for charity this Christmas..

'Let it schleet, let it schleet, let it schleet':)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

highdef wrote: »
    Bad.... Maybe a flurry or light snow shower as a result of a large and heavy shower that arrived into the East.

Well that sure has put a hitch in my giddy up :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Trough has arrived and it is raining as I predicted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS updating, like every run over the past 3 days it brings in much milder air not just to Ireland, but most of Europe by the middle of January with cold weather pushed right back into western Russia and Greece/Turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Gonzo wrote: »
    GFS updating, like every run over the past 3 days it brings in much milder air not just to Ireland, but most of Europe by the middle of January with cold weather pushed right back into western Russia and Greece/Turkey.

I still feel like the models aren’t gasping the SSW. I woudnt take note of this too much yet.

Advertisement