Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    I still feel like the models aren’t gasping the SSW. I woudnt take note of this too much yet.

This swift push of mild Atlantic air right across Europe by 15th of January is also 2 weeks away so it could easily not verify as much as a cold spell that distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Trough has arrived and it is raining as I predicted.

It was never going to be anything but rain (possibly sleet) in your location overnight. It's not the trough either btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Well as long as it keeps the rain up there and brings it as snow down here later

Gonzo wrote: »
    This swift push of mild Atlantic air right across Europe by 15th of January is also 2 weeks away so it could easily not verify as much as a cold spell that distance away.

I wish I had such faith in the models 2 weeks out :P

pad199207 wrote: »
    Well as long as it keeps the rain up there and brings it as snow down here later

harmonieeur40-1-14-3.png?01-23

Your area looks one of the favorite spots for some flakes actually.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

It was never going to be anything but rain (possibly sleet) in your location overnight. It's not the trough either btw.

I am in a much better and prime location for snow than southern half of this island...

Kermit your one of a kind ;)

The freezing level on your locale will be 800 metres so I’m not sure how that is productive for snow. It’s far too deep a warm layer.

Kermit your one of a kind ;)

Depends on where the precipitation is of course! Hit and miss. We'll probably have a more wintry mix but south Leinster looks good otherwise for some light - moderate snow showers first thing in the morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Let the white gold rain down upon us ;)

• Advertisement

Depends on where the precipitation is of course! Hit and miss. We'll probably have a more wintry mix but south Leinster looks good otherwise.

Ah just a flurry will do me for now. Just a taste before hopefully the proper stuff comes in from the east fingers crossed soon ;)

Why are people winking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

Lovely crisp evening in D9. Very calm and clear skies and the car has started freezing over completely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Why are people winking?

The Play on words......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is that picture from tonight?

Sorry , no I think ten years ago, he hasn't changed much in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Sharp frost in Galway tonight.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Let the white gold rain down upon us ;)

Freezing white gold rain is another possibility of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Freezing rain at Belfast Aldergrove.

METAR EGAA 012320Z VRB03KT 9999 FZRA SCT031 BKN036 M01/M02 Q1020=

I see the 528-dm line will be down as south as Madrid and the Med next week. Could be some nice snow in Madrid (650 m amsl) and even the Sierra Nevadas.

ukmo_nat_fax_2021010112_120.png

Airport warnings in effect.

Moderate ground frost at Casement, weak at the others (Dublin, Cork, Shannon and Knock). Weak air frost at all.
    EIDW AD WRNG 01 VALID 011700/021100 FROST FBL GND AND FBL AIR FCST=
    EIME AD WRNG 01 VALID 011700/021100 FROST MOD GND AND FBL AIR FCST=
    EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 012100/021000 FROST FBL GND AND FBL AIR FCST=
    EINN AD WRNG 01 VALID 011900/021000 FROST FBL GND AND FBL AIR FCST=
    EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 011700/020600 FROST FBL GND FCST=

Only light rain showers in the TAFs, sleet at Belfast.

The UKMO aviation chart for 06Z doesn't have any snow showers, except for on higher ground. Otherwise sleet showers on windward coasts and freezing fog over Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

If it's raining at your location, thats to be expected given your proximity to an on shore breeze. But the trough is not due for another few hours.

The UKMO aviation chart for 06Z doesn't have any snow showers, except for on higher ground. Otherwise sleet showers on windward coasts and freezing fog over Ireland.

Yes if the freezing level is 800 metres. It is next to impossible for sea level snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

I am in a much better and prime location for snow than southern half of this island...

In general or at the moment? When you say Southern half, do mean South of a line from Galway to Dublin?

highdef wrote: »
    In general or at the moment? When you say Southern half, do mean South of a line from Galway to Dublin?

Well in general. I have been reading the forum and have seen some saying they haven’t seen snow since 2018.

We usually get a covering at least a few times each winter... and do very well in northernly flows.

Yes if the freezing level is 800 metres. It is next to impossible for sea level snow.

For 06Z they have the freezing level 1000-2500 ft (330-750 m).

Their ballooning profile for 09Z has the following conditions for Draperstown

Altitude Wind Temp
    2000 ft | 36020 kt | -1
    1000 ft | 35015 kt | +1
    500 ft | 33014 kt | +2

Well in general. I have been reading the forum and have seen some saying they haven’t seen snow since 2018.

We usually get a covering at least a few times each winter... and do very well in northernly flows.

There's been a northerly flow all week and you haven't really had anything of note in your location.

There's been a northerly flow all week and you haven't really had anything of note in your location.

Yes we did..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

A hardy frost in the east. Paths are lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yes we did..

That’s a dusting man! I had more than that in Cork the other morning.

• Advertisement

For 06Z they have the freezing level 1000-2500 ft (330-750 m).

Their ballooning profile for 09Z has the following conditions for Draperstown

Altitude Wind Temp
    2000 ft | 36020 kt | -1
    1000 ft | 35015 kt | +1
    500 ft | 33014 kt | +2

Where did you get this? I used to be able to see it.

Advertisement