Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

That’s a dusting man! I had more than that in Cork the other morning.

Well suit yourself but don’t think you’re a snowier location than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Yes we did..

Ok, I thought that was somewhere else on your way to work. Your posts seemed to imply you were frustrated not to be getting some in your immediate location but if you got some, fair play.

Where did you get this? I used to be able to see it.

Met Office General Aviation subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Well suit yourself but don’t think you’re a snowier location than here.

Kind of missing the point though. You have had a northerly flow and not exactly been snowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That’s a dusting man! I had more than that in Cork the other morning.

I had a bit more than that in north Dublin.

The concept of inland and coastal, on shore wind and off shore wind seems to be lost here somewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yes we did..

I can see the grass verges on the side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

-2.8°c in Kildare now. A hard frost.

pad199207 wrote: »
    -2.8°c in Kildare now. A hard frost.

Looking good for the freezing white gold graupel rain ;)

Light rain at Malin Head. Temp/Dewp/WBT 4.6/2.9/3.8.

Moderate rain shower at Magilligan and freezing rain at Lough Fea.

Wet-bulbs well down low across most of the country, but of course because there's no precip...:rolleyes:

537971.png

537972.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

-3c in Meath, beautiful night out there

• Advertisement

Light rain at Malin Head. Temp/Dewp/WBT 4.6/2.9/3.8.

Moderate rain shower at Magilligan and freezing rain at Lough Fea.

Wet-bulbs well down low across most of the country, but of course because there's no precip...:rolleyes:

537971.png

537972.png

You can have one but you can’t have the other :rolleyes:

At 11 pm, this was the difference between the 4 stations around the Dublin/Meath area.

-2.6 Casement
    -1.8 Dunsany
    -1.4 Dublin Airport
    -0.7 Phoenix Park

Quite a variation on a calm, clear night.

537974.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Currently - 3, wonder can we beat the - 4.4? Lovely crisp frost out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Actually, the latest GFS has perked my interest, the 850s show a tight core of warm sector fully enveloped in a shallow low running due south through Tipperary.

The morning looks most interesting for another bout of ninja snow for much of Leinster and southern Ulster.

Snowing on hill behind me despite 600 metre freezing level

https://trafficwatchni.com/twni/cameras/static?id=23

Snowing on hill behind me despite 600 metre freezing level

https://trafficwatchni.com/twni/cameras/static?id=23

Forget looking at just one freezing level chart on nights like this. It doesn't show the full picture. There can be two or more freezing levels, and right now it's a few tens of metres above the surface as there is a very sharp inversion above the sub-zero surface layer.

This is the ICON forecast sounding for Casement for now. It has forecast a surface temperature and dewpoint of +0.5/-0.5 C when in actual fact they're both 3 degrees colder than that right now (-3 at 1 am). So the model is not correctly getting a hold on the surface cooling taking place.

Extrapolate the surface actual temperature and dewpoint (-3/-3) onto that sounding and you'll get a different profile in the lowest 100 hPa. That means that the warm inversion is not as deep as forecast, meaning any snow falling through it could survive more easily. A typical descent rate is 1 m/s, so if the bottom say 100 metres are below zero then that's 100 seconds less it has through warmer air.

537977.png

Aye and if it does snow, as I think it will for some of us first thing, it won't be the fine grains it will be bigger messier flakes - but as long as that fell on frozen ground it really makes no difference tbh.

For my own location I expect a mix of grauple, sleet, snow IF we actually get precipitation - we might get nothing.

And freezing rain is possible as well...

Forget looking at just one freezing level chart on nights like this. It doesn't show the full picture. There can be two or more freezing levels, and right now it's a few tens of metres above the surface as there is a very sharp inversion above the sub-zero surface layer.

This is the ICON forecast sounding for Casement for now. It has forecast a surface temperature and dewpoint of +0.5/-0.5 C when in actual fact they're both 3 degrees colder than that right now (-3 at 1 am). So the model is not correctly getting a hold on the surface cooling taking place.

Extrapolate the surface actual temperature and dewpoint (-3/-3) onto that sounding and you'll get a different profile in the lowest 100 hPa. That means that the warm inversion is not as deep as forecast, meaning any snow falling through it could survive more easily. A typical descent rate is 1 m/s, so if the bottom say 100 metres are below zero then that's 100 seconds less it has through warmer air.

537977.png
    I am just thinking about the top layer.. if it is at 600 metres and up to 2c below that it will turn to rain or sleet.

I am just thinking about the top layer.. if it is at 600 metres and up to 2c below that it will turn to rain or sleet.

Ok.

Met Éireann aviation chart for 06Z (just issued) has a very weak trough slowly moving down through north Connacht and across to the east midlands. They're giving rain and sleet showers, with snow confined to high ground.

• Advertisement

The satellite imagery seems a bit out of whack with what I was expecting in terms of cloud cover, is more extensive...presumably there is little activity underneath

anim_ir.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

The satellite imagery seems a bit out of whack with what I was expecting in terms of cloud cover, is more extensive...presumably there is little activity underneath

anim_ir.gif

You can snooze your alarm Kermit :O

anim_ir.gif

Yes, that's only jet cirrus. There's very little activity underneath it. Some light rain reported in the Hebrides but not much else. Malin Head light rain shower and overcast at 1300 ft.

It’s been raining periodically here...

00Z Castor Bay sounding shows why it's raining. Although the surface is cold the warm layer extends several hundred metres. The 0.5-degree wbt snowline is at around 975 hPa (~370m).

http://www.meteociel.com/cartes_obs/sondage_display.php?id=3918&map=2&date=1609542000&map2=2

Right off to bed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Took a while to cool down, was still 1.7°c at midnight, but it's dropped to a cool -2.2°c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Don’t you just hate when rain washes away lovely white frosty roads and footpaths. Although it’s already starting to refreeze, could be dangerous as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitterly lung-achingly, hand -numbingly cold.

• Advertisement

Very light flurry of flakes here now going past the garden sensor light. That will probably have to do

Advertisement