Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Wintry showers starting to roll into Dublin.

3 or 4 degrees out there , expect cold rain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

This station again trumps every other station with its oddly cold temperatures. Remaining at 1c, whilst everywhere else in a 20 mile radius is as much as 6c.

Here I am 3c.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAVAD4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

0 degrees in Cork City, lots of the estates have white icy roads as do the cars. Pure blue sky and a really bright sun! Difficult driving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

-1.6c atm in my north Dub locale.

I have the OP ready for the Class 3 Kill Storm thread in the morning should the models play ball :p

nvi0yTR.png

... :O

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

And it’s now starting to snow 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    This station again trumps every other station with its oddly cold temperatures. Remaining at 1c, whilst everywhere else in a 20 mile radius is as much as 6c.

Here I am 3c.

Not surprised to see that: It's on the floor of the river valley, in an estate which probably hampers air mixing a wee bit also.

All other stations in the area are reporting a slight breeze, this one isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Danno wrote: »
    Not surprised to see that: It's on the floor of the river valley, in an estate which probably hampers air mixing a wee bit also.

All other stations in the area are reporting a slight breeze, this one isn't.

I assumed being in an estate would reduce radiative cooling. And the station is only about 30 feet lower than my station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From Met Eireann :
    Minimum air temperatures overnight at our 25 synoptic weather stations ranged from -5.9°C at Mount Dillon to 4.2°C at Malin Head.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Down from mountain and it's snowing in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

....and Wicklow.

That sky looks depressingly familiar.

Sunny here today (so far) and dare I say it, but has almost a Spring like quality about it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

You must be still stuck up that mountain cos I’m in Dublin 16 and it’s spitting rain out there for past 10 minutes , now stopped

I assumed being in an estate would reduce radiative cooling.

Being in an estate would reduce radiative cooling, I would wager that if that station was 50m east in the grass area beside the stream nearby it would have recorded a lower overnight temperature than the -3.1c it reported overnight. Probably not very much lower (maybe a half degree or so).

That estate is on the edge of the town with open countryside to it's east and north. The northerly breeze last night had the Binevenagh hill range between it and the coast some 8 or 9 miles north, so not much of a sea influence getting over that.

Had the winds been NWly, influence from the Foyle lough would have kept that station milder overnight.
    And the station is only about 30 feet lower than my station.
    Yes, there can be amazing differences with height especially in near calm or calm conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just rain showers here in Loughlinstown, feeling bitter cold out, not pleasant.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

About 40 mins ago we had some quite big snow flakes fall here in Sandyford.
    Anything since has been sleet/rain.

....and Wicklow.

Just got sent this
    Wet snow falling from that one near the sugarloaf

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1345725555606511621?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

rooney30 wrote: »
    You must be still stuck up that mountain cos I’m in Dublin 16 and it’s spitting rain out there for past 10 minutes , now stopped

I have to concur with Doc as it was snowing up here too at Ticknock, it’s amazing the difference a few feet in heights makes too what falls from the sky ;)

Here I am 3c.

You got a data logger after then?
    Can you change the reporting to Celsius
    Fahrenheit is a pain

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some nice height in those clouds on the East coast

Nice bit of snow in Scotland and N of England showing up on the Sat pic.

lHgJIK1.gif

Some nice height in those clouds on the East coast

Nice bit of snow in Scotland and N of England showing up on the Sat pic.

lHgJIK1.gif

Might get interesting tonight as more cold air is advected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Fahrenheit is a pain

You can change it to Celsius in the settings up in the top right of the page.

Fahrenheit is a pain

That's actually the WUnderground site displaying F by default, the visitor to the page needs to change it using the options on the top-right of the page.

WUnderground site has really gone downhill in the last few years, slow loading and often stalling, similarly the wow.met.ie site too.

Danno wrote: »
    That's actually the WUnderground site displaying F by default, the visitor to the page needs to change it using the options on the top-right of the page.

WUnderground site has really gone downhill in the last few years, slow loading and often stalling, similarly the wow.met.ie site too.

Ah,new phone:)
    Currently 8c there I see

Ah,new phone:)
    Currently 8c there I see

They're using an Ambient Weather WS-1200-IP (Wireless) - so no good in sunny weather at all. Nearby stations with not much better quality hardware are reporting between 3c and 6c.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

At least the breeze is not up to much here. Might help in pulling inland sleet and snow back a bit closer to the coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Light rain showers in Dublin 5. Hopefully bodes well for something later

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Met Éireann's 18Z aviation chart has an area of weather down the east coast, including most of Leinster and east Munster, with a trough lying just off the Wexford coast. Forecast weather in this area is
    Occasional (frequent in the trough) moderate rain/sleet showers
    Isolated moderate hail/thunder showers
    Isolated moderate snow showers on mountains.

For the rest of the country
    Isolated (mainly sea coasts) light/moderate rain showers
    Isolated light snow/sleet showers on mountains
    Isolated freezing fog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Some snow falling on Three rock at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Temperature already down to 1.7c here, lovely day altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

Patchy light/moderate rain showers here on the Dublin coast. Raw and depressing. Pity about the uppers/heights, flow is perfect from Dublin southwards. Hopefully will manage to bag a decent hail shower or two.

Advertisement