Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Light dusting of snow in Dublin 16. Snowing lightly again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Very light dusting in Dublin 13, surprised we got any tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Big fluffy flakes now in Dublin 16!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Very light snow now here in wexford. I totally wasn't expecting this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Very light dusting of snow about 70m asl near the south coast of Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Lovely dusting here in D15,picked the right day to take off,now out for a walk with kids

Hopefully we get further dumps as the weeks go on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

light dusting in North Dublin - hanging around a little but will thaw soon enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

We had a bit of an odd phenomena last night. We were forecast by all to have the wind veer from SE to SW with an associated temperature rise. Instead we had an East wind all night long. The temperature stayed stable at 1c all night, then abruptly rose at 9am.

A few stations to my west did veer to the SW and rose to 5c.

Wonder if this was a Katabatic wind from the hill to my east and NE?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    We had a bit of an odd phenomena last night. We were forecast by all to have the wind veer from SE to SW with an associated temperature rise. Instead we had an East wind all night long. The temperature stayed stable at 1c all night, then abruptly rose at 9am.

A few stations to my west did veer to the SW and rose to 5c.

Wonder if this was a Katabatic wind from the hill to my east and NE?

Nearby Magilligan No. 2 was mostly SW, veering NW. Here are the hourly directions (degrees). Strengths ranged 7-15 kts.

Time DIR
    1800 210
    1900 210
    2000 210
    2100 210
    2200 220
    2300 210
    0000 210
    0100 210
    0200 210
    0300 240
    0400 010
    0500 350
    0600 350
    0700 330
    0800 320
    0900 330
    1000 360

09Z ICON Flash has streamers turning increasingly snowy tomorrow afternoon. Activity reduces in the north later as high pressure approaches, but some hail, graupel and snow possible in some parts of the north and east coast.

538679.gif

• Advertisement

Nearby Magilligan No. 2 was mostly SW, veering NW. Here are the hourly directions (degrees). Strengths ranged 7-15 kts.

Time DIR
    1800 210
    1900 210
    2000 210
    2100 210
    2200 220
    2300 210
    0000 210
    0100 210
    0200 210
    0300 240
    0400 010
    0500 350
    0600 350
    0700 330
    0800 320
    0900 330
    1000 360

Mostly easterly here.

09Z ICON Flash has streamers turning increasingly snowy tomorrow afternoon. Activity reduces in the north later as high pressure approaches, but some hail, graupel and snow possible in some parts of the north and east coast.

538679.gif

What about tonight? That’s the important point.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    What about tonight? That’s the important point.

Icy cold rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Icy cold rain

That's what I was thinking too from looking at the models but Nqp15hhu seems to think otherwise and he's predicting snow near the north coast. I suggested that he creates a thread for his upcoming forecasted snow so he can post some supporting model charts showing how he's likely to receive snow soon. Plus the ensuing photos and video that will follow..... Everyone loves them!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm convinced these rain showers we are currently getting would probably have fallen as snow several years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Coldest station so far this month is Gurteen in Co. Tipperary with a mean of -0.4c, with Markee Castle in Sligo coming in 2nd at +0.4c. Warmest station is Malin Head, on the north coast at 4.9c with Sherkin island on the south coast coming in 2nd with 4.1c.

From Met Eireann.

New Moon

I'm convinced these rain showers we are currently getting would probably have fallen as snow several years ago.

This is the hollowest cold spell I have ever lived through.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

The West of Dublin did a lot better than the South of Dublin thus time. Around 2 cm of snow in Castleknock this morning but gone now.

Huge amount of snow in Dublin mountains though.

The West of Dublin did a lot better than the South of Dublin thus time. Around 2 cm of snow in Castleknock this morning but gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

ffarrell7 wrote: »

Pretty dusting. Has it survived?

• Advertisement

Another few photos of snow in Dublin 15

Dublin Mountains now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That's a fair bit more than we got here, literally was a dusting if even, couldn't roll it up into a snowball like that at all, i tried :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Dublin Mountains now

Dublin Mountains today

Dublin Mountains today

Last one in Dublin mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

This cold spell has been bit of an imposter. While the the wind directions might have been northerly or easterly etc, very little actual flow of airmass has been from anywhere cold. Our airmass has all been relatively local, mostly maritime based and had become cold over time through cooling and small shots of cold air from proper sources. But ultimately very mixed at different layers and not a true cold airmass.

Reversal wrote: »
    This cold spell has been bit of an imposter. While the the wind directions might have been northerly or easterly etc, very little actual flow of airmass has been from anywhere cold. Our airmass has all been relatively local, mostly maritime based and had become cold over time through cooling and small shots of cold air from proper sources. But ultimately very mixed at different layers and not a true cold airmass.

Much of the air masses during this cold spell did come from typically cold sources (anywhere from Iceland to southern Scandinavia) expect those sources have been atypically warm.

New Moon

Reversal wrote: »

Yes and warm sectors have been impeded in all the fronts or troughs that have come south.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Much of the air masses during this cold spell did come from typically cold sources (anywhere from Iceland to southern Scandinavia) expect those sources have been atypically warm.

That, and northerlies just ain't what they used to be, which makes it harder for things to go in our favour. I have enjoyed this cold spell over all, but last night and today have been a downer from my perspective. I acknowledge it has been the opposite for others across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This morning's snow well and truly gone here.

Some snow showers may come on to the east coast after midnight in to east Wicklow, Wexford and Dublin. If it happens could see another dusting here.

Advertisement