Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Just woke to a nice dusting near cabinteely. Is there more on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It’s only a very small dusting this time. Road etc white but more like icing sugar.
    I've been up since 6, not one snowflake in my part of D5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I can see the snowy dark cloud bank to my immediate East/South... Mainly clear and frosty here in D14 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

To be fair I think January 2021 has been quite good so far. No huge snowfalls per se but lots of counties getting a covering or two and lots of crisp cold winter days. Also nothing to suggest that there wont be plenty more snow by end of January.

Certainly a decent January in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just woke to a nice dusting near cabinteely. Is there more on the way?

Probably not at this point. Showers dying away south soon and whatever is left staying in the Irish Sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Check out the FI 120+ Thread and what ECM is showing today for some fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Villain wrote: »
    Check out the FI 120+ Thread and what ECM is showing today for some fun :D

On where

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There's just enough of an offshore breeze down the east coast to tip the deicate balance in favour of the the snow there this morning. A little further out it's probably a lot more marginal.

Continues throughout the day.

538760.png

538761.gif

Ukmo app virtual radar has updated to keep those showers offshore in the next couple of hours and die out southwards
    They're hugging the Arklow coast atm
    Looking at them from here,the cloud is moving fast south/slightly southwest
    Wind here is NW 6 to 15kmh
    Temp is1.1c
    Dewpoint is -2.4c
    Wetbulb is -0.4c
    They've moved very close in the last half hour,it could be snowing at the beach for example,that's how close
    I'm about 3kms inland
    No cigar yet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Oodles of snow for the last hour near the Glen of the Downs...i'm posting in the wrong thread....pix in the dedicated thread...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Great cover of snow in Newtownmountkennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

Dusting here in the Dalkey area. Light/moderate graupel shower in progress

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

The streamers mostly missed Wicklow Town unfortunately.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Snow is deep enough in north Wicklow for sledding, I'd say 3-4cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

awec wrote: »
    Snow is deep enough in north Wicklow for sledding, I'd say 3-4cm.

Just about, for the lighter ones amongst us :) Was great for snowball fights though! Kids are suiting up again after a break for hot chocolate and breakfast. Still a few flakes falling here (just outside Greystones)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

leahyl wrote: »

*11 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A bright, frosty morning in wexford. Very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

leahyl wrote: »

more like 11 years ago. Tempus Fugit.

We should also remember 39 years ago

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0109/843556-snow-causes-major-disruptions/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Very light dusting of snow again in D5.
    lucky! no snow here but we still have lots of frost left over and lots of sunshine, I assume your part of D5 is closer to the coast than mine.

personally, I've really enjoyed this cold spell. 2 weeks of low single digits is pretty remarkable these days, better than the 14/15/16c we seem to get in winter these days. a bit of snow, plenty of frost, sub-zero nights and some nice winter sunshine, as much I love and want snow, winter isn't all about snow. at least we've had a spell of weather that somewhat resembles winter, unlike every year from 2015 bar 2017/18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Seems there's to be showers tomorrow in wicklow and wexford off the Irish sea
    The UK met Office virtual radar has them
    Met Éireann's app has them as snow here
    Somehow I doubt that :D

They seem to be getting their fair share of snow this morning/afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Such a beautiful day in Dublin. The water I put out for the birdies this morning has a layer of ice on it now. Looks like it'll be -5c or so at 8/9am tomorrow, definitely going to go to the park to have a walk around while everything is frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Loving this cold spell. Sad to see it ending on Sunday. Didn’t get a flake of snow out of it (and it is cutting me up a little to see all the snow talk and snow pictures here) but fantastic to see the snow lovers enjoying and appreciating any snow fall that comes their way. We have had day after day of crystal clear blue skies, temps not getting above 3C, no wind and lots of glittering frost and ice. Fabulous :-D With the talk of another cold spelling coming second half of January, any chance for me finally seeing a bit of snow this season?

East Co Galway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after a two week cold spell we finally get cold enough for snow in the final days of it. Pity precipitation has been generally so poor throughout. Hopefully the next one will be properly cold throughout and much more unstable!

The lack of a cold pool in place is what kept the majority of this cold spell too marginal, but we just about got their in the end with most places seeing a few flakes and a temporary dusting, with a few places doing better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

1.30 and still like an ice rink out there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very little thawing in south Laois - despite temperatures at +1.9c and a light breeze in brilliant sunshine. Anywhere that has lost snowcover, i.e. roads and pavements are dry once revealed. Snow is powdery sitting on top elsewhere though longer grass has lost most of it's cover in fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    after a two week cold spell we finally get cold enough for snow in the final days of it. Pity precipitation has been generally so poor throughout. Hopefully the next one will be properly cold throughout and much more unstable!

The lack of a cold pool in place is what kept the majority of this cold spell too marginal, but we just about got their in the end with most places seeing a few flakes and a temporary dusting, with a few places doing better than that.

In a way it’s similar to what often happens in summer, we finally tap into warm continental air for a day or two temp gets up to 25 C and then the Atlantic comes powering through and back to cool 16-19 C weather the next day!

I have to say though I’ve really enjoyed this cold spell, particularly the last few days with severe frosts and a light dusting of snow. More severe cold to come hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

2-3cm on Bray Seafront going by the car roofs. Hopefully its a good sign for later in the Month or February but even if this is our lot in Bray for this season, then I am happy enough. Its not often we have lying snow down on the beach in Bray. The little lady below has been around for the Feb 09 Snow, Jan 2010 Snow, Nov/Dec 2010 Snow and Feb/Mar 2018 Snow.

538786.jpg

538787.jpg

538788.jpg

538789.jpg

Advertisement